Physical attributes in the mid-30s

Hey, apologies if this has been discussed before but:

I was looking at Immobile in my save mid-4th season and noticed that his physical attributes have barely declined, if at all, even though he's about to turn 35 in 10 days. If I'm not mistaken, he's only lost 1 off stamina (15->14) and 1 off strength (13->12). Also, he's still got 15 and 16 for acceleration/pace respectively, same as how he starts in the game.

I assume one of the main things in play is that he's got high professionalism and that makes a lot of sense of course, but I started to wonder: what else factors in here for these to hold up so well (usually my players see a sharper decline and that's earlier in their 30s, especially on acceleration/pace/strength)?

Does natural fitness (he's got 20) play a part? I thought this attribute was merely dictating how people gain/keep match sharpness but maybe this assumption is incorrect? Quality of training facilities/coaches affecting this? Any other factors? 

Screenshot 2022-01-03 at 12.46.47.png

Natural fitness (and I think professionalism?) plays a part. In earlier versions physical attributes declined very rapidly, but now in FM22 it seems to be tighter linked to natural fitness. A good change in my book. I also think injury proneness might impact it indirectly, since injuries at this age will also have a higher impact.

Just now, XaW said:

Natural fitness (and I think professionalism?) plays a part. In earlier versions physical attributes declined very rapidly, but now in FM22 it seems to be tighter linked to natural fitness. A good change in my book.

Yeap, agree. It's realistic too, as footballers are better athletes than ever before and there's a lot of examples of people still being very close to the top of their ability in that age range.

On 03/01/2022 at 20:48, kokafalasi said:

Yeap, agree. It's realistic too, as footballers are better athletes than ever before and there's a lot of examples of people still being very close to the top of their ability in that age range.

Agree. Used to hate how players would drop off a cliff at 30 on previous versions.

Interesting question. Your example is a bit of an elite outlier. I find that old players get tired more quickly, even when their profile shows good physical ratings. But I must say that I typically play with small to mid-sized clubs, where players are more "normal", not the super elite level...

Edited by phd_angel

On 03/01/2022 at 12:46, XaW said:

Natural fitness (and I think professionalism?) plays a part. In earlier versions physical attributes declined very rapidly, but now in FM22 it seems to be tighter linked to natural fitness. A good change in my book. I also think injury proneness might impact it indirectly, since injuries at this age will also have a higher impact.

The other factors which will effect it is being at a club with good facilities/training and still getting regular football at a good level, both of which are also in Immobile's favour here.

On 04/01/2022 at 12:28, pdmalcolm said:

Immobile is an utter freak on my save. I'm into 2028 and he's still elite-level banging in 25 a season for Lazio. 

I just took over man City in 2030 in a journeyman. 38yr old Lukaku is still a top Premiership player!

• 1 month later...

I'd rather have this than the sharp decline we used to see in the previous versions although it is too extreme here too. Obviously a little tweak should help to smooth things out (maybe a simple instruction to HRs and ARs to keep in mind not to give extraordinary values in natural fitness and professionalism as before where players declined too fast?), but overall it is better to have more capable "athletes" as football has changed a lot in the last 20 years and players like Zlatan, CR7, Milner, Neuer, Suarez, Chiellini etc seem perfectly capable of playing at a world class level in their late 30's. In the previous versions (let alone years), players over 30 used to be a hindrance to a team, which is simply not the case in reality.

I do get though that these atts are not realistic for ANY case, but we should be able to find a middle ground without having to return to previous versions where we had to give players 16+ in natural fitness and professionalism to simulate a graceful aging process, and even that wasn't enough.

Players now are able to play well into their 30s at a high level. Players with really high natural fitness shouldnt see much of a decline in physical attributes. Players with lower natural fitness should decline but nowhere near as fast as previous games. Im not far enough into the game to have an opinion on what its like in this game but it looks much better and I only see people putting examples of people with a natural fitness of 20 or very close to 20 which is obviously an exceptional case.

13 hours ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

For the better, old players decline slowly in physical attributes. With that said, they need to put injuries back to 100% to offset the new tweak for a better balance of realism.

We've been asking for 100% injuries for a while now, hopefully the listen. Have you ever made a feature request for it?