'Doesn't Enjoy Big Games'

Hi all,

A couple of my best players (Mokoko and Yusuf) have the negative report tag of 'Doesn't Enjoy Big Games'.

Is there a way of getting rid/improving this negative trait? I've had them for a few years now and as far as I can recall they've played in cup finals, important PL matches.

Can anything like mentoring improve this, or is a pretty hard baked character trait that can;t really be improved upon?

If not, I'm wondering if worth dropping them for late stage cup games for players who are slightly inferior, but 'enjoy big games'.

Would be useful to know the mechanics behind what I assume is a hidden attribute.   Does it reduce their visible attributes more if a high profile match? Or more their morale suffers/nervous etc, so more focused 'shouts' could mitigate any negatives. Or if persisting with playing them, hope they bundle in a scrappy goal or something that puts them at ease.

Cheers. 

Edited by B80

This means they have low "Pressure" attribute, it's hidden, but it impacts how the players do in big matches. It's often something that you can help by getting them tutored by players who do is described as "Relishes big matches" or something like that. I also believe it will improve with age and experience in said type of matches, but don't quote me on that last one. I don't have a source for it, but I think I remember reading it somewhere.

7 minutes ago, XaW said:

This means they have low "Pressure" attribute, it's hidden, but it impacts how the players do in big matches. It's often something that you can help by getting them tutored by players who do is described as "Relishes big matches" or something like that. I also believe it will improve with age and experience in said type of matches, but don't quote me on that last one. I don't have a source for it, but I think I remember reading it somewhere.

Cheers. Yeah I did a quick google and indication on old posts on previous versions was need to play in big games and hope it changes over time. Many seemed to indicate that even then its very hard to move the attribute by more than a couple of points. 1 person mentioned exposure to high profile games in 1st 100 games in their career are particularly key. no one really indicated mentoring helps. I may get them in a group with someone like ward-prowse and hope he rubs off on them.

What constitutes high profile game? I'm newcastle, so would playing elite clubs like liverpool, man u, sunderland, bournemouth ;) etc count as big game. or is a big usually only cup competitions, later stages etc? 

Edited by B80

1 minute ago, B80 said:

Cheers. Yeah I did a quick google and indication on old posts on previous versions was need to play in big games and hope it changes over time. Many seemed to indicate that even then its very hard to move the attribute by more than a couple of points. 1 person mentioned exposure to high profile games in 1st 100 games in their career are particularly key. no one really indicated mentoring helps. I may get them in a group with someone like ward-prowse and hope he rubs off on them.

What constitutes high profile game? I'm newcastle, so would playing elite clubs like liverpool, man u, bournemouth ;) etc count as big game. or is a big usually only cup competitions, later stages etc? 

I don't think there is a clear definition, but cup finals and such are a sure thing. I also think derbies and the like is included. And I would expect matches against bigger teams to be at least somewhere in there. I don't know, but I would expect it to be a sliding scale. So some matches are big (rival in the league) while others are HUGE (CL final). Something like that.

10 minutes ago, XaW said:

I don't think there is a clear definition, but cup finals and such are a sure thing. I also think derbies and the like is included. And I would expect matches against bigger teams to be at least somewhere in there. I don't know, but I would expect it to be a sliding scale. So some matches are big (rival in the league) while others are HUGE (CL final). Something like that.

yeah I imagine so. I may 'rest' them for those games then. Particularly as yusuf is my lone amc and moloko my lone striker lol.  I can't afford for both my central attacking players to be anxious on the biggest stages. catch 22 as historical posts indicate they need to be exposed to stand a chance of improving this attribute, but a lot of posts indicate that even then you can only marginally improve it as its ingrained personality flaw. I may put them on the bench, then wheel them on if we're in the fortunate position of being a couple of goals ahead. this will definitely influence any future signings I'm looking to make... luckily only these 2 have it amongst my current 1st team contenders...

I'll setup a mentoring group and will report back further down the line.

Edited by B80

1 hour ago, XaW said:

It'a not linked to 'Pressure'

I have the IGE, so I looked at a backup save, (without paying attention to the names of the players).

The players who enjoy big matches had pressure of 11,12,13 and 13

Those who didn't had pressure of 8,8,11,8 and 10

There's a separate hidden attribute for big matches. I don't know exactly what causes it or makes it change, other than doing well or badly in big matches; however that is defined. I haven't looked to see what 'big matches' total triggers a description. 

Obviously the pressure scores were higher in the above sample for those who like big matches, so they may be somewhat linked, but that could be a fluke of the small sample size.

I don't know if mentoring affects it. I don't think it does.

42 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

I have the IGE, so I looked at a backup save, (without paying attention to the names of the players).

There's a separate hidden attribute for big matches. I don't know exactly what causes it or makes it change, other than doing well or badly in big matches; however that is defined. I haven't looked to see what 'big matches' total triggers a description. 

Obviously the pressure scores were higher in the above sample for those who like big matches, so they may be somewhat linked, but that could be a fluke of the small sample size.

Yeah, mix up by me there. It's the "Important Matches" attribute, not pressure.

4 hours ago, B80 said:

What constitutes high profile game? I'm newcastle, so would playing elite clubs like liverpool, man u, sunderland, bournemouth ;) etc count as big game. or is a big usually only cup competitions, later stages etc? 

It depends on the club. For a Premier League team, the 3rd round of a FA Cup match isn't important. If a Conference clubs gets to the 3rd round, it's a big match for them.

See here for a more 'official' explanation:

4 hours ago, vikeologist said:

Cheers mate. I play on xbox so don't have editor. Is there feedback of players that have low or high pressure thresholds ie via reports from staff.

To me on the face of it, you'd imagine pressure attribute plays a part, as that's exactly what a big match generates. It seems unlikely a real person would have a low tolerance of pressure situations and somehow enjoy big matches? Of course different people can find different situations more pressurized/stressful than others, but as we're talking about this game, I'm not sure what other scenarios the pressure attribute could relate to. Press conferences/media interviews can cause different reactions from players, but again these are usually around big games of some kind (at least on xbox). But I don't know exactly how the developers/designers make the game and these decisions.

Edited by B80

It'll often appear in the Coach report for a player if their Important Matches hidden attribute is particularly high or low. 

Having said that, I just had a look at my squad from a save where I'm liberally using the editor, and it actually doesn't appear as often as it probably should. I found just one player (out of 12 in my squad) with Important Matches over 15 who had it in his Coach Report. And none of the players with less than 5 had it in theirs. 

I assume it'll pop up once a player's had a couple of Important Matches, since my squad is young and inexperienced. 

1 minute ago, turnip said:

I assume it'll pop up once a player's had a couple of Important Matches, since my squad is young and inexperienced. 

IIRC, it only pops up at age 23. Before then, it's an unknown.

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

IIRC, it only pops up at age 23. Before then, it's an unknown.

Mokouko has it own mine and Yusuf. Mokouko is definitely younger than that - 20-21 I think.

Pinged my mate who has those 2 players on his save. He says Yusuf has it in the staff report, but not mokoko. So assuming its not random (particularly for a player of his rep/stature in real life), appears it can be 'worked' on. He doesn;t mentor or do anything special with them.

Edited by B80