Oops - my club is turning professional in the National League South!

Hi all,

I've just taken over Oxford City F.C. at the start of FM22. They are currently in the National League South and have a balance of £1,488.

During my interview, I suggested turning the club professional while fully expecting to be turned down but they agreed & now aim for this to happen by the end of May.

This is a bad idea right?

Also, I said that I didn't want to work with the DOF & so they've sacked him. He would have been owed compensation, where can I find how much he has been paid?

I'm wondering whether to simply restart the game & avoid making these sort of requests too early.

Thanks!

It's good, provided you will be successful and getting them up a few tiers in a short while. Your club will most likely lose a lot of money, but at that level you'll only pick up freebies and loans anyway, so it's not really an issue for you on the pitch.

1 hour ago, XaW said:

It's good, provided you will be successful and getting them up a few tiers in a short while. Your club will most likely lose a lot of money, but at that level you'll only pick up freebies and loans anyway, so it's not really an issue for you on the pitch.

Thank you! And if I don't get promoted it's going to potentially bankrupt the club a couple of years down the line?

Also, any idea where can I find how much compensation the board paid the former DOF?

Thanks again for your help!

In my own save in Northern Ireland I havent requested becoming professional yet as I know we will lose money. Our commercial revenue and gate receipts wont cover the increased wage costs. Although it's probably a fine balancing act as becoming professional increases the chances of becoming successful which will lead to increased gate receipts and commercial revenue.

Edited by Platinum

I sup

2 minutes ago, Platinum said:

In my own save in Northern Ireland I havent requested becoming professional yet as I know we will lose money. Our commercial revenue and gate receipts wont cover the increased wage costs. Although it's probably a fine balancing act as becoming professional increases the chances of becoming successful which will lead to increased gate receipts and commercial revenue.

Thanks for your input. I guess my my real concern is did the board only agree to it because I have a 100% determination attribute? Is it realistic for this particular club to turn professional? 

There have been examples of clubs at this level turning professional, we did it, shambles that it was. 

As for Oxford City, they're a club who have risen to this level for the first time in the last decade or so. I don't know if they've any rich benefactors in real life, but they seem to be having a decent year this year, so who knows what they might be planning. I think what I'm trying to say is, that it's not completely preposterous. 

9 hours ago, BruceyNTFC said:

There have been examples of clubs at this level turning professional, we did it, shambles that it was. 

As for Oxford City, they're a club who have risen to this level for the first time in the last decade or so. I don't know if they've any rich benefactors in real life, but they seem to be having a decent year this year, so who knows what they might be planning. I think what I'm trying to say is, that it's not completely preposterous. 

Thanks for your thoughts, I'll enjoy the ride then!

Bear in mind turning professional includes professional training schedules - a real chance of starting to improve your younger players at last.

You will inevitably lose a ton of money, but that's the board's responsibility, not yours.  So long as you keep to the wage budget and win games, you're doing your job.

6 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Bear in mind turning professional includes professional training schedules - a real chance of starting to improve your younger players at last.

You will inevitably lose a ton of money, but that's the board's responsibility, not yours.  So long as you keep to the wage budget and win games, you're doing your job.

No pressure then! :lol: