Free transfers Non-EU countries?

I like managing teams from smaller countries, also outside Europe. I am wondering what transfer rules apply for free transfers outside the European Union (EU). 

I know that I can approach players in the EU 6 months before their contracts expire. But there appear to be different rules for other countries, I read that players from England can be approached 1 month before their contract ends. But I don't know about for example Mexico, Russia, Egypt and Oceania. Can I sign players from these countries on a free transfer before they are officially a free agent? Probably some countries use the same guidelines as the EU (6 months), some use the same as rules as England (1 month) and maybe there are also countries where we can approach players 3 months before their contract ends or countries where you can never get a player on a free transfer unless his club releases a player. Is there a list with the transfer rules per country or region or can someone post guidelines about free transfer here? 

And are the rules based on nationality of the player or the league where the player currently plays?

Edited by koningco

• koningco changed the title to Free transfers Non-EU countries?

In the UK, a player under contract in the same country that you are playing in cannot be approached till 1 month before the end of his contract- you can however approach any other player playing outside the country you are playing in 6 months before his contract expiry date.

I don't think "any other player playing outside the country" is correct. I think this only applies for EU-countries. And my question is especially for players in countries outside the EU. I already knew the rules for UK (which is outside EU after brexit), but this is not really related to my question. 

Edited by koningco

12 hours ago, koningco said:

I don't think "any other player playing outside the country" is correct. I think this only applies for EU-countries. And my question is especially for players in countries outside the EU. I already knew the rules for UK (which is outside EU after brexit), but this is not really related to my question. 

As far as I'm aware if you're not managing in England then you can approach anyone from any country (including England) with 6 months or less left on their contracts. I don't think there is any great variation in the rules. 

It all depends if the country has adopted the bosman ruling. China is an example of a country that doesn't use it. A player can only move clubs if he is released by the club or a fee is agreed.

1 hour ago, smp20 said:

It all depends if the country has adopted the bosman ruling. China is an example of a country that doesn't use it. A player can only move clubs if he is released by the club or a fee is agreed.

Thanks for your reply, this is the kind of answer I am looking for. Now I know I don't have to scout in China with priority when I am managing a club in Asia, as I mostly sign players for free and approach them 6 months before their contract expires. I also won't include China anymore in a worldwide journeyman career like the one I am running right now.

As far as I know now the Bosman rule applies to almost all countries, but the stage at which I can approach players can be different. It's 6 months for most countries (including EU), probably 3 months for some countries ???, and surely 1 month for the UK after the Brexit. I would like to know more, for example about other continents than Europe. For example which countries or regions use 3 months and 1 month (beside UK) before the contract expires? 

Edit: I also want to download an editor if someone can explain me how I can check there if what transfer rules countries use (but I will only use the editor for that purpose, only to check transfer rules per country and not change anything).

Edited by koningco

I think Czechia also don't use the Bosman. At least I had some luck with that when a player refused to discuss contract with me, but I didn't want to lose him for free. I think all players can be picked up, but you will always pay/be paid some compensation.

48 minutes ago, XaW said:

I think Czechia also don't use the Bosman. At least I had some luck with that when a player refused to discuss contract with me, but I didn't want to lose him for free. I think all players can be picked up, but you will always pay/be paid some compensation.

The Bosman ruling came from the European court, there's no way Czechia can refuse that is there? Was the player in case U21? Because then a development fee would be mandatory even when signing someone on a free contract.

As for countries without Bosman, the other big one is Brazil. No idea how to look this up in the editor, but from my general experience playing FM there's very few nations that don't have the Bosman rule.

6 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

The Bosman ruling came from the European court, there's no way Czechia can refuse that is there? Was the player in case U21? Because then a development fee would be mandatory even when signing someone on a free contract.

As for countries without Bosman, the other big one is Brazil. No idea how to look this up in the editor, but from my general experience playing FM there's very few nations that don't have the Bosman rule.

I thought so too, I asked in the Czech data thread and the HR confirmed this was the rule. The player was 25, if I recall correctly. It was for FM20, I think.

Edit: Someone else had the same issue a while back:

Edited by XaW

13 minutes ago, XaW said:

I thought so too, I asked in the Czech data thread and the HR confirmed this was the rule. The player was 25, if I recall correctly. It was for FM20, I think.

Can confirm Bosman in Czech Republic. Not sure what the deal is with those compensations.

image.png.469881e0a34551167d6ba2a318bc1853.png

16 minutes ago, Wolf_pd said:

Can confirm Bosman in Czech Republic. Not sure what the deal is with those compensations.

Yeah, I would assume as much, but there were compensation last time I played there. Not sure if this is applicable to FM22, mind!

Just encase you need to know, there is not one rule that encompasses the whole of the UK.  England to England is 1 month, Scotland to Scotland is from 3 January of the year his contract ends (so just under 5 months - contracts end 31/05 of the year)*.  

*Subject to change as will be discussed at the end of year League Meeting.  

On 09/03/2022 at 16:20, Wolf_pd said:

It was like that in FM21 as well. Even an EXPIRED month-to month contract had compensation in CZ.

I wanted a player, specifically waited for the contract to run out on 30 June, yet if he was not released properly, on the 3rd July when tried to sign him the 54k EUR compensation popped up still. Obviously I was really mad, because the player both the club would have zero compensation for the termination and I would have paid the player more, than his MTM contract. But because I cant ask the player to terminate his expired contract, it was not worth to sign him (55k is a lot in these East-EU leagues if you are coming as second division team :) ) .