Suggestion - More depth to agreed playing time

larry crowne

Disclaimer: Sorry if this has already been discussed at length before as it seems like a fairly obvious suggestion.  So obvious that it may already be in the game, and I just haven't found it.  If this is the case, I again apologise.

I have recently given up on a save (my first save on 22) with over 24 hours of playtime.  I won't go into too much detail, but in short, my key players all became very unhappy at a lack of playtime, despite playing a significant number of games (including all games in high rep competitions and against high rep teams) across 4 competitions.  I was very frustrated by this and went on a bit of a  rant on this forum, which I have now hidden (I think).  After calming down a bit, I have decided to respond more constructively to my issue with the game.

My suggestion is that when discussing playing time with one of your players or potential signings, you have the option to break down playing time across the competitions you expect to play in.  Take, for example, my save as Celtic.  I might explain to a player that, form permitting, he'll start against most high reputation teams in domestic league matches, but will not play against the lower reputation teams.  I'll add that he can expect to start all of our Champions League matches (perhaps with a promise that we'll make the group stages) and higher reputation domestic cup matches, but will not play any matches in the lower reputation cup (except perhaps a promise that he'll play in the semi-final and final).  This could then generate an expected number of games, and the player could make a decision based on his priorities and the reputations of the various competitions.  Perhaps a young player would prioritise more overall game time, whereas an established player would prioritise the opportunity to showcase his skills in the Champions League.

Rangers apparently telling fat Ronaldo he would only have to play in Champions League matches when they tried to sign him in the 90s springs to mind, and I believe Sheringham had an agreement late in his career that he would not have to travel for away games.

• 6 months later...