Europa League: On and Off Confusion

I was playing Maribor (Slovenia champion) and went for Champions pre-qualifying, lost and ended up in the Europa, finished third place in my group but kept playing in Europa. It was lots of fun but I got confused with all the knock-out and in and out!

Does anyone know to explain how Europa stages/qualifiers develop and how it (dis)connects with Champions League? Thanks.

Edited by phd_angel

Thi is off the top of my head, so be warned there could be errors.

CL 1st qual loss -> EL 2nd qual
CL 2nd qual loss -> EL 3r qual
CL 3rd qual loss -> EL playoff for group stage
CL playoff loss -> EL group stage

I think that's how it is, but there is also the Conference league and I think some of the qualifying rounds in the EL puts you into the ECL, but I haven't looked much at it yet.

3 hours ago, XaW said:

Losing in the preliminary qualifying or the first qual. round sends you into ECL 2nd qual.  round.

3 hours ago, XaW said:

Conference league and I think some of the qualifying rounds in the EL puts you into the ECL, but I haven't looked much at it yet.

Yeah, losing in EL qualifying rounds just qualifies you for the next ECL round.

11 hours ago, XaW said:

Thi is off the top of my head, so be warned there could be errors.

CL 2nd qual loss -> EL 3r qual
CL 3rd qual loss -> EL playoff for group stage
CL playoff loss -> EL group stage

I think that's how it is, but there is also the Conference league and I think some of the qualifying rounds in the EL puts you into the ECL, but I haven't looked much at it yet.

Thanks. This sounds about right. But then there is the Conference (the league below Europa?) that also participates in this qualifying system, right? Yes, I think I played across Champions, Europa and Conference with Maribor all in the same season!!

It is a bit confusing best explanation I've found is this, only covers qualifying though

2021-24-uefa-club-competitions-scheme.pn

Group stage wise, if you finish 3rd in the Champions League or Europa League you drop down to the lower completion and play in the 1st knockout round against a second placed team. 1st place get a bye yo 2nd knockout round

This result in a really weird scenario in that you can qualify for the CL 3rd qualifying round, lose both games, end up in the EL playoff, lose both of those. Then end up in the ECL group stage, and lose all 6 games. So you could play 10 games in Europe and lose them all!

Edited by nasaiain