Difficulty Levels

I normally like to play FM starting  unemployed with a sunday league reputation on a journeyman save taking some obscure team with no money that will have me. and working them up the leagues taking over bigger teams when I have proved myself and they will have me.    As I perceive that this is the highest difficulty level in the game.  However I may be wrong. What is your perception of difficulty levels in FM.

When FM23 comes out I am thinking of starting with my hometown club who are in the English championship.  I am perceiving that the game will be easier for me as I am starting with better players in a higher league.  How can I make it harder for myself without setting any additional rules on me ( ie I can only sign young players etc) so I play the game as normal without this.

Would starting the save with a Sunday League reputation at a club that is in the english championship be harder than how I normally start the game on a journeyman save, unemployed with Sunday League rep or would it be the same difficulty level.  Would the game be easier if I started at an english championship club with a International player rep or professional footballer rep?

How do others make the game harder for when you start at a chosen club with decent players

1 hour ago, wazza said:

Would starting the save with a Sunday League reputation at a club that is in the english championship...

Could that be possible IRL? Of course, a manager could have a degree in coaching without having a career as a player, but... Which level of coaching degree were you planning to set for yourself?

In some leagues managers have to have a certain level of coaching degree, as far as I remember. In FM - I don't know... You could start as unemployed, but then apply to get that manager job in Championship.

Personally I like to do just the way you do - from the bottom. Degree and reputation as low as possible. Now I'm managing an English 8. tier amateur team (using a mod). So, NO money into salaries for staff or for players.

Still, good players seem to be found too easily. Best ones drop-outs from the best six tier teams, that still could have future even in League Two (in scout's opinion)...  How in earth can that level players be found in free market??? And be ready to play without any payment???

Guessing that FM wasn't ever planned into managing in low level leagues, and DEVS haven't had that in their priority list - at least not yet. Sad.

But, your main question. I think that lower leagues are easier. There are more available and good enough players to choose from. Even when that player isn't at his best in some role needed, he could be... good enough. In top level there are fewer suitable players, and you should get someone to sign.

Do I have any hint to give to you? Try to find a team that is in real troubles in real life like near bankruptcy and losing its fan base, and of course in FM too. Then try to be a kind of a Magic Maker there...

4 hours ago, wazza said:

Would starting the save with a Sunday League reputation at a club that is in the english championship be harder than how I normally start the game on a journeyman save, unemployed with Sunday League rep or would it be the same difficulty level.  Would the game be easier if I started at an english championship club with a International player rep or professional footballer rep?

My understanding is that players are less likely to trust you if you're some random hobo who's just walked in off the street to manage a big club, compared to a well-known manager.

Does this make a difference? Probably not if things are going well, but if you start losing games, or make a few player interaction snafus, you might find that the squad is quicker to turn against you.

Also, having a high reputation as a manager is supposed to have a small impact when trying to sign players, so it might make that side of things a little harder (although I don't know that anyone's bothered trying to test that). 

8 hours ago, wazza said:

What is your perception of difficulty levels in FM.

Imo the game becomes most challenging and rewarding when you restrict transfers in some way (most extreme being making NO signings ever) and stick with a single club.