Forcing WB to pass not cross?

I think you may have to compromise a bit here.  I don't have the game running right now, but I suspect a change in role (maybe full back support) will give you more flexibility.  They you can change the passing instructions, and up the rest of the instructions to get it close to a WB Att.  Obviously, this will mean you lose some other aspects of the role that you might like.

You might find more joy in using inverted wingbacks. They often sit narrower, of course, but they will move wider if no one else is out there and the situation warrants it. They won't waste possession on speculative crosses, and they will often be in dangerous position on the edge of the box to deliver a through ball or open long shot. Inverted wingbacks also tend to receive better match ratings, which helps keep those players in good form even if they aren't actually doing much more than what wingbacks do.

Yeah I kind of have the same issue: I want Trent Alexander-Arnold to cut inside at times, but given that his preferred foot is the right one anyway, to also sometimes cross.

How can I set him up so that he decides to cut inside only when it makes sense to do so (so not "never" and not "every time")? How is the inverted Wingback going to work?

@stopazrickyI think i have read posters (much more knowledgeable than me) say that what the IWB will do depends on the person in front of him.  For example: if you play an inside forward, then it is more likely that the IWB will go wider.  If you play a winger, then he will cut in more.  

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, IWB will seak out free spaces. But it most likely will not cross in a way a wb will do. Even if iwb is the only wide player, it will more likely bring back the ball into the center. It will use passing or dribbling and occasinal crossing. 

Edited by b2khn