*Official* Football Manager 2023 Early Access Beta Feedback Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone paid attention to PPDA (passes per defensive action)?

The numbers seem to be awfully low, compared to real life where usually the best pressing sides sit around 8-10 PPDA.

spacer.png

Now it might be that FM calculates defensive actions differently, so I'm not sure if this is bugged or what.

am testing the ME with different roles and tactics in the versus cup mode with the team from my save in career mode imported.

vs ai teams 

these are the stats of the players of a generated ai manager team,  surely the could make the generated teams be a little more "dynamic" with the attibutes?
specially since ai managers wont take over big teams like real madrid, barca, liverpool and etc. since u cant manually pick those teams to  be controlled by an AI

literally whole team with 1 flair, 1 aggression, 1 determination, the worst overall player with 12 and the best with 15, every stat has the same value,  so the player is either a 12 on everything or 15 on everything ( only one player with 15) most on 13-14

image.thumb.png.21b72412649ec76965ac689b82b569be.pnglite

2 minutes ago, jdubsnz said:

does it show a different version number of the beta after it downloads?  mine says 23.0.5 but not sure if that means anything

23.0.4 is what I have and I have not installed the update yet. Just tells you the version of the game.

10 minutes ago, Fabregas_04 said:

Is there an instruction for "ignore opposition players and the football"?

That’s not the point I was trying to make. If you had answered the question instead of trying to be smart, you would have understood that my point was maybe there is a certain instruction that isn’t working as intended because I’ve not hade problem with players running past my defenders and I have nothing ticked in the out of possession instructions 

2 minutes ago, DarJ said:

That’s not the point I was trying to make. If you had answered the question instead of trying to be smart, you would have understood that my point was maybe there is a certain instruction that isn’t working as intended because I’ve not hade problem with players running past my defenders and I have nothing ticked in the out of possession instructions 

I am more bothered that I want my defenders going to the toilet with the player at half time, such is the closeness of marking and closing down. So why are they standing there when a ball is coming in. I have no problem if they move and get beat, that's life, but to not move seems contrary to my instructions

18 minutes ago, sulljda said:

My biggest issue this year is that I see a ton of near post goals which almost always involve the goalie going to ground early and the player scoring from a silly tight angle

Report any you can please, I think it's a ME issue 

27 minutes ago, DarJ said:

Apologies, I made an assumption you were one of those "it's your tactics" types.

These forums definitely wouldn't make a fella cynical.....

7 hours ago, Jack Joyce said:

Positions is always a difficult topic, especially in the modern game where positions/roles are so fluid - it almost just becomes a game of semantics! 

Previously we had a problem - a CM in a 433 is fundamentally very different to a CM in a 4231, they're really not the same position. e.g. you might see Mason Mount as a CM in a 433 and not bat an eyelid, but if you saw him at the base of a 4231 you'd wonder what the manager is thinking! However, in game the AI managers were constantly using players like Mason Mount as CMs in formations where you'd typically expect a double-pivot to be deployed e.g. 4231, 523, 5221.

We reviewed all the possible solutions and felt this was best for the realism of the team selection system, fundamentally players in the base of a 4231 are pivots, and these changes reflect that. It does mean that some players needed their positions adjusted by researchers to reflect these changes, and if you see any issues where this still hasn't happened, please report it to the researchers via the forums. You'll probably find that most CMs will end up also having at least some ability at either DM or AM, but this is expected.

It does mean that there's a lot less formations used by the AI managers with CMs - but there's still some e.g. 442 diamond and 442 flat which remain.

But overall we feel like this has benefits for not only tactical balance and team selection for AI managers, but also for AI shortlisting - since now when they look to recruit a player to play at the base of a 4231 they're not even considering a player like Mason Mount for it.

It's worth noting that when you use DMs with no CMs in the team, then those DMs will position higher - and the same for CMs when there's no DMs, they'll position a bit deeper in certain phases.

Thanks a lot for explaining this. It was the for the reason I expected. My brother and I always complained about Arsenal playing against us with Odegaard and Emile Smith Rowe at the base of midfield 😂. I also think this way is helpful because it brings the pivot closer to the defense especially in a 4-2-3-1 which is more akin to what you would see in any similar IRL formations. 

Is anyone having a massive problem with playing away? I'm currently managing Dortmund; my home form is played 7, Won 6 and Drew 1. My away form is played 7, won 1 and lost 6. I've tried my usual tactic but more defensive when playing away but that's not working either. I'll play teams in really poor form, and they will just be all over my team. Have never had this big of a problem on previous football managers.  

Is there a list of bugs that SI have acknowledged anywhere? Keep wanting to feed back on the same things in the hope it's picked up (floaty ball, defenders watching, too many one on ones) but unsure if this is something they are aware of already?

4 minutes ago, Obaaa said:

Is there a list of bugs that SI have acknowledged anywhere? Keep wanting to feed back on the same things in the hope it's picked up (floaty ball, defenders watching, too many one on ones) but unsure if this is something they are aware of already?

I don't think this is an exhaustive list, but it's something:

22 minutes ago, Alex050999 said:

Is anyone having a massive problem with playing away? I'm currently managing Dortmund; my home form is played 7, Won 6 and Drew 1. My away form is played 7, won 1 and lost 6. I've tried my usual tactic but more defensive when playing away but that's not working either. I'll play teams in really poor form, and they will just be all over my team. Have never had this big of a problem on previous football managers.  

Yes, I had exactly the same issue with Brugge. Almost unbeatable at home, but looked a completely different side away. The issue had arisen from the fact I had tweaked my original tactic to be slightly more offensive. So I changed it so I use the original tactic for away games, with a balanced mentality, and my tweaked tactic for home games with a positive mentality. Ended up winning the last 6 games of the season and pinching the title off Genk. 

Premier League - Work Permit Rule does not work correctly:

For example: I bought a player from Turkey (Beşiktaş) for West Ham United. I had an email regarding the work permit is rejected, so I was able to appeal and not appeal. I chose not to appeal, then suddenly confirmation email dropped into the mailbox that the transfer is confirmed. Then I tried it for few players (both managers were user-controlled that time), it happened everytime. Summary: no work permit, no appeal, and the transfer goes through. 

So I think there is a bug regarding work permit.

Fyi,

Cheers.

40 minutes ago, onurt3 said:

Premier League - Work Permit Rule does not work correctly:

For example: I bought a player from Turkey (Beşiktaş) for West Ham United. I had an email regarding the work permit is rejected, so I was able to appeal and not appeal. I chose not to appeal, then suddenly confirmation email dropped into the mailbox that the transfer is confirmed. Then I tried it for few players (both managers were user-controlled that time), it happened everytime. Summary: no work permit, no appeal, and the transfer goes through. 

So I think there is a bug regarding work permit.

Fyi,

Cheers.

That's how it's supposed to work, you'll always get confirmation of the signing whether you appeal or not. The player will still sign for you, you just can't play him in any matches until you get a work permit further down the line.

2 hours ago, Lempicka said:

Team chats still the same. Playing as Bradford (Park Avenue) and expected to finish 23rd - I offended the whole team by suggesting we were good enough to avoid the drop,

I hope some level of work has gone into the interactions module, because it was the worst part of last year's game.

Just not enjoying this game at all sadly.

The defending is mind numbingly bad. Defenders just cannnot defend long balls at all. I get that this may be fixed, but my real concern is how easily players give the ball away under seemingly no pressure.

I also hate the scouting system.

A real shame as I loved FM 22, hoping for big improvements for the full release

I’m gonna have to stop playing following the latest update. It’s completely broken my team and losing every game, when I was comfortably on course for promotion. Now I can win to save my life ever since.

conceding the same goal - defence splitting through ball - even though I have my defensive line at its lowest possible. Centre backs just don’t want to react no more.

Just now, kiingallen said:

I’m gonna have to stop playing following the latest update. It’s completely broken my team and losing every game, when I was comfortably on course for promotion. Now I can win to save my life ever since.

conceding the same goal - defence splitting through ball - even though I have my defensive line at its lowest possible. Centre backs just don’t want to react no more.

The update had nothing to do with it though lol

Just now, kiingallen said:

The latest updates have 100% had an effect on the ME. Regardless if anyone tells me it hasn't. I know what I see. Im not here to debate it

hmmm, the match engine wasnt touched in the most recent update. So nothing has changed on that end. No matter what you say or think. 

14 minutes ago, kiingallen said:

The latest updates have 100% had an effect on the ME. Regardless if anyone tells me it hasn't. I know what I see. Im not here to debate it

The thing you've described, has been happening since day 1 of the beta. Constant through balls.

Edited by (sic)

21 minutes ago, kiingallen said:

I will just confirm what others have said in that there have been absolutely no changes to the ME since the Beta was released.

1 hour ago, kiingallen said:

I have not played fm23(i wont pay to beta test) but this was an issue in fm22, gk or outfield player kick the ball over the cbs who wont react to it and the striker goes through or if 2 strikers, one heads it to the other striker who is through on goal. That and wide free kicks and back post header were the most of the goals i conceded.

after playing for many years there are always these “scripted” goals that the ai scores. 

I have moved to buying the game in march after the disaster that fm18 was, with the every shot is straight as a arrow with no curve and no shots outside of the box hit the goal.

Isn't the game seed based anyway? Everytime you reload a save you get a new 'random seed' generated that influences results. Otherwise simulating the same game without any changes would result in the same thing happening wouldn't it. 

Maybe old mate just got a bad seed when he updated and loaded in. ;)

1 hour ago, Arnar said:

I have not played fm23(i wont pay to beta test) but this was an issue in fm22, gk or outfield player kick the ball over the cbs who wont react to it and the striker goes through or if 2 strikers, one heads it to the other striker who is through on goal. That and wide free kicks and back post header were the most of the goals i conceded.

after playing for many years there are always these “scripted” goals that the ai scores. 

I have moved to buying the game in march after the disaster that fm18 was, with the every shot is straight as a arrow with no curve and no shots outside of the box hit the goal.

Wont pay to beta test but will pay more not too.  Thats the pay off isn't it . FM18 was a disaster but the beta releases have got better . FM23 has no real new features that break the game anyway . Its basically a FM22 update 

30 minutes ago, prot651 said:

Wont pay to beta test but will pay more not too.  Thats the pay off isn't it . FM18 was a disaster but the beta releases have got better . FM23 has no real new features that break the game anyway . Its basically a FM22 update 

What do you call the youth developement bug that was/is in this beta? 

Ive seen bugs not getting fixed for the duration of a game more then once, so yes i will gladly pay a little extra for a playable game over paying less for a game i wont enjoy.

i really liked fm22 but there is also so much extra fluff in it that you just slowly loose intrest in the save.

dof and scouting doesnt work, why does my scout which is assigned to brazil not hear about the winderkid tearing up the u19s?

why does dof, chairman and the coaching staff recommend players that dont fit into the clubs vision?

why do i need to have 9+ coaches to have low workload and 4+ stars?

I could go on and on about things that dont work properly.

1 hour ago, SeaCarrot said:

Isn't the game seed based anyway? Everytime you reload a save you get a new 'random seed' generated that influences results. Otherwise simulating the same game without any changes would result in the same thing happening wouldn't it. 

Maybe old mate just got a bad seed when he updated and loaded in. ;)

Such a night and day difference in the way my matches have been playing since before the update. 
but if I speak. 
I’ll wait