*Official* Football Manager 2023 Early Access Beta Feedback Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, anagain said:

We're only talking 2000. The Playstation had been out years and the second generation of consoles had launched.

No ones talking about all younguns, but having City stars playing the game is going to draw an eye. Some around here will doubt for doubt's sake.

Kid's these days have PL footballers as their idols, and if these idols show they play the game they might well give it a thought.

I think many here do a discredit to the imagination of kids.

I can’t make any generic sweeping statements, but my brother is a teenager now. Tried getting him interested in FM a few years back. He enjoyed me explaining what I was doing with my team and during matches, but has no interest at all in playing. Would much rather play Fortnite, Overwatch or FIFA. 

I think a big barrier to new players is not so much graphics, but the fact the game is very much like a full time admin job. 

Edited by BuryBlade

14 minutes ago, dannyfc said:

We still had FIFA and PES growing up, it's all relative as at the time the graphic was perceived as ultra realistic.

You guys are doing the younger generation a disservice I reckon, the exact same things would have been said 10/20/30/40 years ago. 

There will definitely be young lads who enjoy statistics and pouring over every detail in a football database. It's more of a personality than an age thing. 

It definitely is a personality thing as well, but what I've said is also true. Majority of them will just go play FIFA, and only a minority would actually play FM. 

There's just so much stuff going against FM, from it being a niche game, that's really not for everyone. Then there's horrible graphics, and not that great UI/UX, and things just pile up. 
Compare that to FIFA, which has great graphics, it's easy to get into, it's immediately fun to play, you don't have to learn so much stuff about it, you don't have to look at data so much, etc. 

I'm a young person myself, and it took me some time to get into the game, only in my late teens did I really start playing the game. Then it took me a few years to actually learn ins and outs of the game, how to build tactics, how to do x y z, then how to modify and create skins, etc. 

10 minutes ago, anagain said:

We're only talking 2000. The Playstation had been out years and the second generation of consoles had launched.

No ones talking about all younguns, but having City stars playing the game is going to draw an eye. Some around here will doubt for doubt's sake.

Kid's these days have PL footballers as their idols, and if these idols show they play the game they might well give it a thought.

I think many here do a discredit to the imagination of kids.

2000. was 22 years ago. The level which FM seems to be stuck at, in a few areas currently (mainly graphics). It's definitely going to attract some more kids, I'm not arguing that it won't attract anyone at all. But there are things stopping it from attracting even more people, and a lot of them will be put off by graphics and gameplay.

Edited by (sic)

Just now, Domoboy23 said:

It was a joke about your previous telling off in the thread over the gender setting!

The release date and time on steamdb means nothing, as others have stated. FM22 came out 8pm the evening before despite the release day and time on db being the following day

Ok. Let's hope tonight

1 dakika önce, anagain said:

No, but nor were you. You were giving the age old idea that the game is only playable after patch 3, weren't you.

I'd love more patches but what a lot of you don't understand is that patching a game as complex as FM is not merely changing a line of code, or two. Understand that and then criticise patches.

I'm not saying the first 2 is useless they still fix a lot of stuff but if there are big problems like wide players shooting from byline or a LOT of over the top balls for 1on1s or passing percentages being too high or IFs not cutting inside it does take until may. It's not unplayable before may but the significant improvments come with that third patch. If there were 2 more patches between may and the new release i would be happy tbh. And every game is complex, SI are hardly an indie company with not enough resources to keep working on the current title without delaying the next, i just find it weird that after all these years they still get away with releasing the last patch half a year before the next game comes out.

Where the ME currently is I'd rather they take their time with an update, I'd rather a balanced one in December than an unbalanced one on release. Still got a few niggles that need knocking out but my most enjoyable beta one in years. 

Still hate the in match UI though, thank god for @michaeltmurrayuk match panels

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Where the ME currently is I'd rather they take their time with an update, I'd rather a balanced one in December than an unbalanced one on release. Still got a few niggles that need knocking out but my most enjoyable beta one in years. 

Still hate the in match UI though, thank god for @michaeltmurrayuk match panels

But i remember from old FM's that the ME was different between the beta and the full game

I wonder if its the same story this year 

Just now, GOODNAME said:

But i remember from old FM's that the ME was different between the beta and the full game

Yes, of course it will be.

Will it be the exact flavour of different that any one specific poster on here wants it to be? Almost certainly not.

2 minutes ago, GOODNAME said:

You'll know by the ME numbers. Any change in the ME has to result in a new number or you get massive match divergence issues. 

1 minute ago, TopToffee said:

Has the ME version ever NOT changed between beta and full release? I'd be very surprised.

A few times tbf. Normally because they've not been quite happy with whatever upcoming changes they want to implement, so they use it as a base and release a bit later 

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

It's panels. Can go into most skins, including the default one

https://michaeltmurrayuk.blogspot.com/2020/12/football-manager-2021-match-screens-mod.html?m=1

Ooof, much appreciated! So much info is lost during games and all these skins that have match day additions look so good but I'm not a "skin" person so having just match day ones are a blessing! Didn't know this was a thing

1 saat önce, anagain said:

I think it's always been a concern that FM is a game for the oldies more than it is the young...ies.

So to get Gundogan, Foden, Rodri et al for that trailer really could open eyes on FM to a newer audience.

Good stuff, SI

And I love the fact it's been out so little time on YT that some people are probably asking "what trailer?" :brock:

I think they work for ethnic diversities than looking for younger ones. New players are not dumb if any function in the game not working as designed. It was the critism for SI. Imagine board wargame designer making a game putting a function ıt doesn't work or have no use. It will bankrupt quickly. Graphics doesn't matter  also Vampire Survivors recently shows.

Anyway I suppose 20 mins left to be released? :)

25 minutes ago, (sic) said:

It definitely is a personality thing as well, but what I've said is also true. Majority of them will just go play FIFA, and only a minority would actually play FM. 

There's just so much stuff going against FM, from it being a niche game, that's really not for everyone. Then there's horrible graphics, and not that great UI/UX, and things just pile up. 
Compare that to FIFA, which has great graphics, it's easy to get into, it's immediately fun to play, you don't have to learn so much stuff about it, you don't have to look at data so much, etc. 

My son is almost 17.. and he has seen me play FM thousands of hours in the past years. 

Every time I'm getting excited because I've just won National League with whatever club, he looks at me with sad eyes like " dude, you're gone" :lol:. I could not convert him :kriss:.

I think the personality is definitely a factor.. he's relentless, energetic and the games he plays reflect that : Overwatch / Call of Duty, Starcraft, NBA 2K. At some point we both have played FIFA.

The taste for more settled down, slow paced, build your own adventure in your head type of games - will come for him ( and the likes of him ) later in life. It's ok. People change.

11 minutes ago, BuzzR said:

My son is almost 17.. and he has seen me play FM thousands of hours in the past years. 

Every time I'm getting excited because I've just won National League with whatever club, he looks at me with sad eyes like " dude, you're gone" :lol:. I could not convert him :kriss:.

I think the personality is definitely a factor.. he's relentless, energetic and the games he plays reflect that : Overwatch / Call of Duty, Starcraft, NBA 2K. At some point we both have played FIFA.

The taste for more settled down, slow paced, build your own adventure in your head type of games - will come for him ( and the likes of him ) later in life. It's ok. People change.

I’ve been playing football manager since 00/01 (back then Championship Manager). I was barely in double figures in age when I started 😅

1 hour ago, anagain said:

Rubbish. Young people play Rimworld, Among Us (if that's the correct title) etc. Graphics aren't everything.

I do agree there are some who might baulk, but not just at the graphics, but the strength of FM is in it's gameplay and the strength of this year's match engine and the database. Nothing comes close to FM in that regard.

Some tidying up and improving of the UI and some social features is needed but I have no doubt there are younguns that could love FM.

Even I was young when I first played...didn't even have graphics then...just circles. EDIT: Actually it didn't even have circles back then. Just text.

And, to add. The FM discord I chat on is all young people and many of them. They seem to love the game.

Not at all, young football fans are usually the FIFA crowd nowadays. I did caveat that. And people who play Rimworld who are not football fans are not playing football manager.