The game is too easy again...

49 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

Unfortunately, we can't even get to that point of the conversation without being shut down by the 'you can't play as Utd or Liverpool or City or Spurs or Chelsea or Arsenal' squad. The 'humblebrag' brigade.

Or get called a cheat.

I know and unfortunately people who say these things are kind of missing the point.

SI tell us the game is based on realism.  In real life it isn’t “easy” to manage the top sides (or anyone for that matter) - look at Liverpool this season or Man City have not won the CL 5 times on the trot for example.  Yet that and more besides is perfectly possible in FM, even with a non-elite team.

This is why if it can be detailed to the devs exactly what people are doing to achieve these things there may be new directions found to go in.  If the devs can analyse matches played by looking at the coding (for example) perhaps it could be seen that a tweak or two to how AI managers behave against these top teams might help matters.  Or perhaps they may find that a certain tactic being used in combination with certain player attributes and high morale is too “overpowered”.

But the devs can’t do anything (to an extent) without knowing the detail of how people are playing and (preferably) the code to analyse - doubly important during a Beta phase.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Weller1980 said:

That's a fair comment this is just my initial thought. 

No problem, like @herne79said some actual feedback rather than “I shouldn’t be able to win it with United because their players aren’t title winning side” (see Leicester) 

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

For example - Do you sim/holiday through seasons?  What level of detail have you selected for leagues/nations (which affects which match engine is used)?  How do you play matches (instant result or watching each match) and to what level of highlights?  Detail your tactical system (screenshots).  How do you manage your squad?  Which club are you playing with and what are your Board’s expected results?  What transfers have you made?  How do you handle Training?  What responsibilities do you delegate?  Etc etc…

If you are finding the game too easy, ideally start a thread in the Bugs forum, detail all of that and upload your game save to let the devs review it in detail 👍

The main thing is it is Beta, and if you do genuinely think it’s too easy feed this back with proper bug reports. 

2 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

I know we've always shunned the idea but could it be time to introduce difficulty levels into the forum?

No, no, and thrice no. 

Not a single person who has mooted this nonsense has ever had a coherent explanation as to how it would work. Spoiler alert - It wouldn't. 

I know we've always shunned the idea but could it be time to introduce difficulty levels into the forum?

Heck no, I always see how you set your badges at the start as the difficulty level

If you're good at the game then great, other's aren't and that's fine too but there's no point in arguing with another, so please keep the discussions civil (that's not at aimed you, just everyone in general)  

2 minutes ago, danielgear said:

No problem, like @herne79said some actual feedback rather than “I shouldn’t be able to win it with United because their players aren’t title winning side” (see Leicester) 

The main thing is it is Beta, and if you do genuinely think it’s too easy feed this back with proper bug reports. 

The thing is, Last year I was told the same and I didn't see any difference from the beta to the last patch.

FM has been easy for a while but whenever I manage anywhere in the UK (which is rare tbh) I have to nerf United to more realistic level for immersion. Otherwise they are better than City and Liverpool when they should be around Spurs and below Chelsea.

I think the reputation system doesn't work very well if you manage small teams as opposition concedes too much space whilst lacking the capacity to destroy you. It's strange but I always get promoted in my first season even as relegation candidates.

Edited by afailed10

4 minutes ago, danielgear said:

@dannysheardhave you mentioned what badges/experience you started with? I’ve scrolled back and can’t see it? 

I think it's 2-3 below the recommended ones for Liverpool. I could set it even lower but then all realism is lost as the players practically hiss at you every time you walk into the room.

Just now, danielgear said:

Did you raise a report with examples etc? 

I was kind of discouraged to do that last year as most of the people in my original thread told me it's my fault for playing with Manchester United.

What's the point of criticism if it falls on deaf ears? This thread just shows nothing is changed.

I don't mind uploading my saves or posting a few screenshots.

Just now, SergeiG said:

I was kind of discouraged to do that last year as most of the people in my original thread told me it's my fault for playing with Manchester United.

What's the point of criticism if it falls on deaf ears? This thread just shows nothing is changed.

If you think it’s a genuine issue raise it in the beta bug forum not in GD, with examples of saves and screenshots so the QA team can see it, I doubt they’re scrolling GD during the testing phase :lol:
This thread has different opinions but the beta is a chance for you to raise any issues and concerns. If like last year you don’t then FM24 will likely be the same. 
If you think it’s an issue raise it. 

4 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

I think it's 2-3 below the recommended ones for Liverpool. I could set it even lower but then all realism is lost as the players practically hiss at you every time you walk into the room.

:lol: I’m just imaging a squad of players hissing now. 
I understand the realism thing but you asked for a way to make it harder and this is the difficulty setting in FM. 
Would you be willing to do a test season? Both on lowest no badges no experience, same team, even same tactic and see if the game is still as easy? If it is then you can also raise this and evidence of the two saves as comparison?

10 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

No, no, and thrice no. 

Not a single person who has mooted this nonsense has ever had a coherent explanation as to how it would work. Spoiler alert - It wouldn't. 

There are lots of ways it could work but bumping up opponent's stats when you play them would do it for me. It wouldn't be perfect but it would at least make it harder for the better players. It would compensate for the fact that with very little effort, the player can have better, fitter and happier players than the AI can achieve.

It's what they do in other games, like Civ. All games, really.

But the beauty is, it wouldn't have to affect those players that either don't need a harder difficulty level or are opposed to it. Only a portion of the players would need it/use it.

1 minute ago, danielgear said:

:lol: I’m just imaging a squad of players hissing now. 
I understand the realism thing but you asked for a way to make it harder and this is the difficulty setting in FM. 
Would you be willing to do a test season? Both on lowest no badges no experience, same team, even same tactic and see if the game is still as easy? If it is then you can also raise this and evidence of the two saves as comparison?

I'm sure a number of people on here would... between having three kids and industrial-scale matched betting, my time is pretty limited.

12 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

There are lots of ways it could work but bumping up opponent's stats when you play them would do it for me. It wouldn't be perfect but it would at least make it harder for the better players. It would compensate for the fact that with very little effort, the player can have better, fitter and happier players than the AI can achieve.

It's what they do in other games, like Civ. All games, really.

But the beauty is, it wouldn't have to affect those players that either don't need a harder difficulty level or are opposed to it. Only a portion of the players would need it/use it.

Agreed. I would take an optional, artificial "AI stats boosted" mode of the game (even as a tickbox when setting up the game) to compensate over the AI's current shortcomings than nothing at all. There are some extremely complex simulation games on the market that have difficulty settings (Europa Universalis IV is one that comes to mind) that do have some option to increase difficulty.

Edited by sthptngomad76

2 minutes ago, sthptngomad76 said:

Agreed. I would take an optional, artificial "AI boosted" mode of the game (even as a tickbox when setting up the game) to compensate over the AI's current shortcomings than nothing at all. There are some extremely complex simulation games on the market that have difficulty settings (Europa Universalis IV is one that comes to mind) that do have some option to increase difficulty.

100% agree and those games are also simulations, so it's a fair comparison.

Like handicapping in horse racing. We know it's a bit arbitrary but it's fair.

40 minutes ago, _mxrky said:

Never got the playing with no attributes logic. It makes zero sense from a footballing perspective. Because in real life you’d always know one player is faster than another, or that a player is a better finisher than another, or that one player is a better passer. Just from watching if you have a good eye

Do you?

Everyone has different opinions on players. For some Mbappe is the fastest player on the planet, for some hes not.

In game attributes give you a definitive figure for it, its much less certain in real life, especially in the lower leagues 

5 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

And how exactly would this work? Take your time here, and be very specific. 

Oh Dave, you must be good enough to need a harder difficulty setting by now, mate? You've been playing for years, man. DM me.

It would work like this (and this is me thinking about it for all of 10 seconds)... when I play Arsenal, for example, for that game all their players' attributes are bumped up by +1 or +2 (maybe more for condition) for that match.

+

11 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

And how exactly would this work? Take your time here, and be very specific. 

Is it difficult to code a modifier than bumps AI controlled teams' players CA in game? Increases their ingame stats by a set amount which is unseen to the player? I am not aware if these are feasible as I am not a coder, I am just proposing some ideas in good faith to improve my and other users' experience and enjoyment of the game.

Edited by sthptngomad76
correction

Oh Dave, you must be good enough to need a harder difficulty setting by now, mate? You've been playing for years, man. DM me.

It would work like this (and this is me thinking about it for all of 10 seconds)... when I play Arsenal, for example, for that game all their players' attributes are bumped up by +1 or +2 (maybe more for condition) for that match.

+

Show the screenscotts of you winning the CL winning 10 years on the trot and maybe you will have some credibility. Until then everything you've posted is hot air.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Do you?

Everyone has different opinions on players. For some Mbappe is the fastest player on the planet, for some hes not.

In game attributes give you a definitive figure for it, its much less certain in real life, especially in the lower leagues 

He is objectively fast tho and you can't argue otherwise, and speed can be measured with cameras and such or just by dividing length and time.

8 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

+

Maybe they can do it like Frostpunk. On high difficulty you collect resources and research tech slowly and people get sick often.

So for Football Manager scouting can take longer for human players, make injuries more often and the oppositions can get a consistency boost for example.

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Do you?

Definitive attributes is still better than no attributes where you can’t tell whether mbappe is faster than Maguire. Also it’s not an opinion to say mbappe is without doubt one of the fastest players in the world. Whether he’s the fastest or not doesn’t really matter in terms of the attribute debate 

Edited by _mxrky

6 minutes ago, SergeiG said:

He is objectively fast tho and you can't argue otherwise, and speed can be measured with cameras and such or just by dividing length and time.

Yes, and the scout report would tell you hes fast. Just now you have no idea if hes one of the fastest footballers on the planet or not, just that hes incredibly quick. Attributes in game can definitively tell you.

It means decisions you make, especially lower down the leagues, have a small margin of error in terms of squad building. You can definitively split players based on ability.

In real life its more blurry.

6 minutes ago, Ferocious289 said:

Show the screenscotts of you winning the CL winning 10 years on the trot and maybe you will have some credibility. Until then everything you've posted is hot air.

So you think I'm making up achievements to ask for difficulty levels which I don't actually need because I'm making up how easy I find it?

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yes, and the scout report would tell you hes fast. Just now you have no idea if hes one of the fastest footballers on the planet or not, just that hes incredibly quick. Attributes in game can definitively tell you.

It means decisions you make, especially lower down the leagues, have a small margin of error in terms of squad building. You can definitively split players based on ability.

In real life its more blurry.

The other problem with that is - the staff are useless most of the time.

43 minutes ago, SergeiG said:

I agree. It feels like every year we go through the same cycle. It's so hard to criticise the game in any way on these forums and you just get jumped on and told it's your fault and not the game. After 20 years it does get tiresome seeing the same cycle of comments every single year, often from the same users too.

Edited by Robioto

3 minutes ago, _mxrky said:

Definitive attributes is still better than no attributes where you can’t tell whether mbappe is faster than Maguire. Also it’s not an opinion to say mbappe is without doubt one of the fastest players in the world. Whether he’s the fastest or not doesn’t really matter in terms of the attribute debate 

I wanted, and requested years ago, stats instead of attributes.

You hover over the pace section and it shows you a players sprint speed etc., from training and games compared against the rest of the league/club.

To me that would be perfect, with the amount of information gifted to you being based on the size of club.

1 minute ago, SergeiG said:

The other problem with that is - the staff are useless most of the time.

As they can be in real life.

Nobody is going to have an entirely perfect backroom staff giving them perfect overviews of their players and perfect views of prospective signings, yet thats what human managers get. 

23 minutes ago, sthptngomad76 said:

Is it difficult to code a modifier than bumps AI controlled teams' players CA in game? Increases their ingame stats by a set amount which is unseen to the player? I am not aware if these are feasible as I am not a coder, I am just proposing some ideas in good faith to improve my and other users' experience and enjoyment of the game.

Probably not, but we're talking about players at the top of the game.  A lot of them will have maxed out stats already in certain attributes, probably key ones for the position, I'd also expect the functions driving the abilities behind each stat to be non-linear so the margin of difference between 9 and 10 is greater than between 19 and 20 - diminishing returns as quality increases.  As everything in game is probability based you still probably won't get the margin of difference necessary to negate the huge advantages a human player has in FM simply by being human.

8 minutes ago, Robioto said:

I agree. It feels like every year we go through the same cycle. It's so hard to criticise the game in any way on these forums and you just get jumped on and told it's your fault and not the game. After 20 years it does get tiresome seeing the same cycle of comments every single year, often from the same users too.

Raising it in General Discussion will always get that. If you think it’s an issue raise it in bug forums where it will get looked at by SI. And provide full details rather than “it’s too easy”
im not saying they’ll fix it asap as I know people have raised the same bugs every year but there’s more of a chance of improvements if you raise it in the right places. 
The difficulty level at start idea would be a feature request. 
(BTW I’m not saying you haven’t raised it yet you may have but that is aimed at all saying it’s easy)
If one starts the bug thread off then the others can join with their examples which gives SI as much data as possible for changes going forward. 

For teams like United, PSG, City et cetera,

they could make "Team Cohesion" waaay harder to achieve, perhaps even impossible!

Like, the higher the average player wage of a club, the harder it is to achieve maximum team cohesion. Player personality and the attribute "Teamwork" could have an effect, too. After all, Guardiola's Barca was the perfect storm of just the right individuals, every single diva was kicked from the squad by Pep, which led to levels of unbelievable cohesion within his squad. Xavi, Busquest & Iniesta were/are incredible academy teamplayers far from any diva-like behavior...

So a superstar like Paul Pogba, Mbappé or Neymar might even completely sabotage or reduce the build-up of team cohesion.. Too many players on high wages should also ALWAYS significantly hamper the sense of togetherness within a squad, especially with a low average of the teamwork attribute and/or bad (hidden) personalities..

Additionally, a team full of highly talented teenagers should never be able to just stroll to a UCL title. So just fielding wonderkids should be a rookie mistake.. The board, especially at bigger clubs, furthermore expects you to sign high profile players in order to sell merchandise, so simply fielding eleven 18 year old Colombians nobody has ever heard of every single matchday should once more lead to issues with the board and fans..

In conclusion, there are many factors which should at least hamper or even completely stop the development of "Team Cohesion" of big teams regardless of what the human player can do about it.. The negative aspects of superstars, high wages and bad personalities cannot be magically fixed by the manager through 20 at man-management.. A championship team will ALWAYS be better at team cohesion in comparison to a bunch of entitled millionaires which don't really play for the badge..

6 minutes ago, rp1966 said:

Probably not, but we're talking about players at the top of the game.  A lot of them will have maxed out stats already in certain attributes, probably key ones for the position, I'd also expect the functions driving the abilities behind each stat to be non-linear so the margin of difference between 9 and 10 is greater than between 19 and 20 - diminishing returns as quality increases.  As everything in game is probability based you still probably won't get the margin of difference necessary to negate the huge advantages a human player has in FM simply by being human.

Fair enough, good explanation

3 minutes ago, SC00P0NE said:

they could make "Team Cohesion" waaay harder to achieve, perhaps even impossible!

Like, the higher the average player wage of a club, the harder it is to achieve maximum team cohesion. Player personality and the attribute "Teamwork" could have an effect, too. After all, Guardiola's Barca was the perfect storm of just the right individuals, every single diva was kicked from the squad by Pep, which led to levels of unbelievable cohesion within his squad. Xavi, Busquest & Iniesta were/are incredible academy teamplayers far from any diva-like behavior...

So a superstar like Paul Pogba, Mbappé or Neymar might even completely sabotage or reduce the build-up of team cohesion.. Too many players on high wages should also ALWAYS significantly hamper the sense of togetherness within a squad, especially with a low average of the teamwork attribute and/or bad (hidden) personalities..

Don't quote me on this but real-life players in the game, can't be given disruptive personalities, last time I checked, most were given Balanced personalities for legal reasons (I believe) 

35 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

+

Weren't you the one who didn't want to use the hundreds of in-game modifiers to make it harder for yourself because of 'realism'? Yet here you advocating for some sort of pointless bump in other teams attributes. Something that would unbalance the entire game. 

Instead of taking resources away from SI to work on actual parts of the game that need improving, why don't you just use the editor to lower the attributes of your own team? Not any less 'realistic' then bumping the attributes of other teams, and to paraphrase yourself, the beauty of it is, it will only affect your game and not involve large parts of the game to be recoded just because you find it too easy winning the league with one of the best teams in the game. 

But you won't, of course, you want SI to do everything for you. 

10 minutes ago, SC00P0NE said:

That's a really good suggestion.  Perhaps especially related to wage differentials within the influential and highly influential player groups compared against their teamwork levels.

But having said that, I'm not sure any of us know enough about the inner working of the dynamic module to say that such mechanisms aren't already in place to some degree.

Edited by rp1966

18 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Don't quote me on this but real-life players in the game, can't be given disruptive personalities, last time I checked, most were given Balanced personalities for legal reasons (I believe) 

Yeah, I heard about that too. To bad you can't add a hidden attribute to Pogba that says he is toxic

5 minutes ago, SergeiG said:

Yeah, I heard about that too. To bad you can't add a hidden attribute to Pogba that says he is a toxic ****.

Only thing I can think of is using the pre game editor to adjust things, unless there's a file someone does but I've never looked into it

3 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Only thing I can think of is using the pre game editor to adjust things, unless there's a file someone does but I've never looking at it 

No other file, you will need the pre game editor for that. I got my fingers hovering over the keyboard to adjust one C. Ronaldo...

43 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

So you think I'm making up achievements to ask for difficulty levels which I don't actually need because I'm making up how easy I find it?

I want you to prove such boast. You said you achieved CL titles for 10 years straight on the trot on the beta, when people like me haven't even the time to play through 10 teams let alone play though until 2032

15 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Weren't you the one who didn't want to use the hundreds of in-game modifiers to make it harder for yourself because of 'realism'? Yet here you advocating for some sort of pointless bump in other teams attributes. Something that would unbalance the entire game. 

Instead of taking resources away from SI to work on actual parts of the game that need improving, why don't you just use the editor to lower the attributes of your own team? Not any less 'realistic' then bumping the attributes of other teams, and to paraphrase yourself, the beauty of it is, it will only affect your game and not involve large parts of the game to be recoded just because you find it too easy winning the league with one of the best teams in the game. 

But you won't, of course, you want SI to do everything for you. 

Dave, SI make the game. That's the reason I want them to do it. That's how the consumer relationship works. Their product isn't fit-for-purpose for a (unknown) number of players so they should look to remedy that.

As for your solution, I'd need to constantly edit my team (every time I signed a new player, for example) to keep on top of it. If it was a fixed squad I had, I would very happily take that option.

For me and a lot of other players, the game being fundamentally unchallenging is the biggest problem. By far. Not bothered about making the match animations prettier or adding FitBits to manager profiles.

2 minutes ago, Ferocious289 said:

I want you to prove such boast. You said you achieved CL titles for 10 years straight on the trot on the beta, when people like me haven't even the time to play through 10 teams let alone play though until 2032

- FM21: played one save and won the first nine Champions Leagues in a row

1 minute ago, dannysheard said:

Dave, SI make the game. That's the reason I want them to do it. That's how the consumer relationship works. Their product isn't fit-for-purpose for a (unknown) number of players so they should look to remedy that.

As for your solution, I'd need to constantly edit my team (every time I signed a new player, for example) to keep on top of it. If it was a fixed squad I had, I would very happily take that option.

For me and a lot of other players, the game being fundamentally unchallenging is the biggest problem. By far. Not bothered about making the match animations prettier or adding FitBits to manager profiles.

Not sure stamping your feet until you get you own way is the way forward here, but you do you. People have tried to help you make the game harder for yourself, but you're not interested, so I'm out. 

Just now, Dagenham_Dave said:

Not sure stamping your feet until you get you own way is the way forward here, but you do you. People have tried to help you make the game harder for yourself, but you're not interested, so I'm out. 

You're not out, though, are you, really? You come back every year when people legitimately state that for them the game is way too easy and you offer arbitrary, realism-killing solutions rather than letting those of us that this actually effects have a candid discussion about what could be done to improve it?

Honest questions:

- do you not find the game too easy (far too many promotions for lower-league teams, for example)?

- do you believe some people do find it really easy (and don't use cheats, downloaded tactics)?

- do you believe, in general, when a product isn't fit-for-purpose for certain users, those users should not go back to the manufacturer and want to discuss changes to the product?

- do you think that once a player reaches competence on the game, they should never be able to play with the top 4-6 teams in each league?

I'm genunely curious as to what it is that won't let you ignore something that wouldn't affect you. 

4 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

- FM21: played one save and won the first nine Champions Leagues in a row

well that isn;t fm23 is it! So maybe you want to complain about FM21 being too easy.  We're talking about the current literation and you're here behaving like some kind of maths genius freak because you won the title with Liverpool who everyone knows are coded to be OP on the game. i can use default tactics, no transfers no staff upgrade and win the league with Liverpool on fm23 no problem, but I would be ashamed to come on here and shout out about easy the game is why crowing about how too good I am at the game because I won the league and CL with Liverpool.

3 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Like bumping the attributes of the opposition players do you mean? 

A background +1 bump to player attributes that I wouldn't notice in any meaningful way, but would just give me the odd extra headache to deal with? I can live with that, they do it in every other game pretty much.

Go on, humour me, answer the questions. Please.