FM23 signing youth

I think there's pros and cons but room for refinement.  What I'd like to see is a battle for the young players based upon some logic and variety.

So make it possible but not easy so that if you do get someone really cheap and early there's a bit of a buzz and excitement as opposed to buying up 25 youngsters cheap.

I also agree it should follow the rules of the world and be stated as such particularly in the UK, as well as say Brazilian youngsters more likely to move to a Portuguese or Spanish club than Scotland.

It needs a balance and I'm intrigued as to how hard it will be.  What we don't want is an inability to take any youngster or an ability for man city to sign every one easily. It should be tough and you should lose out to teams you don't expect just randomly sometimes.

Of course its even more fun to grow your own local youth.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To give you an idea of how much this can be exploited:

I am running FM19 with an updated database.  All the signings below were found with a 3rd party app and have at least a minimum PA of 170.  I think 1 is not a regen (Truchot, maybe included in the updated database??) but the rest are regens.  That is a total of 9 probable first team players for a total of just over 15 million euros.  The highest wage is less than 5,000 and there is no sell on clauses.  I could have bought more but I was not willing to pay more than 20,000 in wages for a kid.

image.thumb.png.9b5491bb524f49ccce710bd7507d7ffb.png

Now I do not have FM23 so I do not know how it runs.  Perhaps there are some balancing issues, but this kind of thing did need to be addressed.

Il 27/10/2022 in 11:29 , obasa_G ha scritto:

It seems a lot of things have changed and scouting and transfer system is now in in-line with the transfer rules set in each nation and league. For example in an EU country, you can only sign players aged 16 and above from other EU countries. That's why it is going to be hard to sign a 15 year old from an another EU team in another country. 

Another example is that if you are a team in the EU or in the UK and you want sign a South American, North American, African or Asian wonderkid or player then you have to wait till they are at least age 18 before you can do that. Anybody less than that age will not be interested in the transfer.

For the final example, if you are in England, you can't sign players that are less than the age of 18. This is probably due to Brexit. However you can sign sign players who are going to turn 18 within your current season. This means that if a player is 17 years old and his birthday falls during the span of your current season then you can sign him in the available transfer windows.

I might be wrong but I think these changes are intentional and I am really a big fan of it. I  think the changes are meant to do two things.

1. Make sure all or majority of our transfers in game are done in the allotted transfer windows.

2. Remove the situation where players can have like numerous future transfers on youngsters around the world who haven't even played a game for their respective team.

Lmao thank god there is the ingame editor incoming so i can fix this bs myself if SI does nothing and play the way i always did.

10 hours ago, Andros said:

To give you an idea of how much this can be exploited:

I am running FM19 with an updated database.  All the signings below were found with a 3rd party app and have at least a minimum PA of 170.  I think 1 is not a regen (Truchot, maybe included in the updated database??) but the rest are regens.  That is a total of 9 probable first team players for a total of just over 15 million euros.  The highest wage is less than 5,000 and there is no sell on clauses.  I could have bought more but I was not willing to pay more than 20,000 in wages for a kid.

image.thumb.png.9b5491bb524f49ccce710bd7507d7ffb.png

Now I do not have FM23 so I do not know how it runs.  Perhaps there are some balancing issues, but this kind of thing did need to be addressed.

But...why? It's a single player game, why do you care that other people can do this? I'm not advocating people going online finding shortlists, etc.... but...why do yo ucare if they do?

1 hour ago, steakfaced said:

But...why? It's a single player game, why do you care that other people can do this? I'm not advocating people going online finding shortlists, etc.... but...why do yo ucare if they do?

If I care to ever want to play this game online, I would want all exploits fixed.

I don't think it's an exploit, although people have abused it over the years, which is entirely their choice. Real life obviously has more variables influencing it. 

There are some very condescending comments earlier in this thread.

I fall somewhere in the middle. It should be difficult to sign players on pre-contracts before professional terms are agreed. But a blanket solution where you can't even enter negotiations lacks nuance and I can see why that's frustrating. 

Arsenal famously signed Fabregas in a similar manner, and 20 years later they were so clearly worried about 15-year-old Ethan Nwaneri being poached they played him in a Premier League match. So it does happen and it remains something prevalent in the game. 

The implementation from SI is slightly draconian and I think they'll revise it. If Arsenal are trying to poach a 15-year-old from Watford, for example, of course negotiations should be held. If Lechia Gdansk are trying to poach a kid from Yokohama FM, the issue is more complex. 

There should be more variables in play than a blanket 'no'. 

For people that have the guts claiming it's "realistic" this way, i've set up a filter of players of 16 years or lower in south america as Real Madrid, the highest reputation team in the world, and this is what happened.

Zero (ZERO) players with interest in joining my club.

It's completly ridicolous and unacceptable.

Immagine1.png

Immagine2.png

vor 27 Minuten schrieb DMaster2:

i've set up a filter of players of 16 years or lower in south america as Real Madrid, the highest reputation team in the world, and this is what happened.

Have you ever heard of a 16 yo south american player (without a spanish passport)  signing for a spanish club?

19 minutes ago, Daveincid said:

Have you ever heard of a 16 yo south american player (without a spanish passport)  signing for a spanish club?

thats an entirely different issue than a 16 year being completely uninterested in a move.

If work permit issues are the problem then it should be outlined not ''player is not interested'', it's bs and the same about it being exploiting, like someone else said it's a single player game, people should be free to choose how they wish to play the game.

No one is forcing anyone to sign armies of regens if they find it unrealistic

vor 2 Minuten schrieb Ferocious289:

thats an entirely different issue than a 16 year being completely uninterested in a move.

He's "uninterested" because he's not allowed to leave by law because he's not 18 yet, as simple as that. It doesn't make sense to be "interested" in something which is impossible.

vor 4 Minuten schrieb Ferocious289:

If work permit issues are the problem then it should be outlined not ''player is not interested'', it's bs and the same about it being exploiting, like someone else said it's a single player game, people should be free to choose how they wish to play the game.

The game includes all kind of real rules, so if you don't like real rules then FM might be not the correct game for you.

vor 5 Minuten schrieb Ferocious289:

No one is forcing anyone to sign armies of regens if they find it unrealistic

You know that the AI follows the same rules for transfers as the human manager? So the AI-clubs would also sign U18 players from Nations where they shouldn't be allowed to if you change that rule. 

Long story short: No bug, simply reality. 

2 minutes ago, Daveincid said:

He's "uninterested" because he's not allowed to leave by law because he's not 18 yet, as simple as that. It doesn't make sense to be "interested" in something which is impossible.

The game includes all kind of real rules, so if you don't like real rules then FM might be not the correct game for you.

You know that the AI follows the same rules for transfers as the human manager? So the AI-clubs would also sign U18 players from Nations where they shouldn't be allowed to if you change that rule. 

Long story short: No bug, simply reality. 

How do you know this, did you code the game?

Second sentence about the game not being for me, why are you behaving like this has been a long standing rule in the game? If there new rules it needs to be speficified.

When you go to bid for a player and you speak to the agent about a possible transfer, the agent explains why the player isn't interested. The agent doesn't just say the client is ''uninterested'' and then we use our imaginations to cococt up reasons why they ARE not be interested.

And you are wrong it's not reality, as proven by the examples I've listed and other posters mentioned of players moving when they were 15-16 years old in real life. Do you want me to go through them with you? Since you arrogantly have it in your head that your opinion is reality where by every single 15-16 year old on a video game should not be able to be transfered or poached.

vor 1 Minute schrieb Ferocious289:

How do you know this, did you code the game?

No, but I'm able to read the rules which are shown in the game.

vor 1 Minute schrieb Ferocious289:

why are you behaving like this has been a long standing rule in the game? If there new rules it needs to be speficified.

It is.

vor 2 Minuten schrieb Ferocious289:

about a possible transfer

Down to my logic you do not speak about a transfer which is impossible anyway.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Ferocious289:

And you are wrong it's not reality, as proven by the examples I've listed and other posters mentioned of players moving when they were 15-16 years old in real life.

Oh definetly as long as the law allows it. Within the EU this is no problem at all and also works in the game.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Ferocious289:

Since you arrogantly

Don't get personal

1 ora fa, Daveincid ha scritto:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11835/10890441/real-madrid-sign-vinicius-junior-from-flamengo-for-reported-38m-fee

And beside are you telling me none of those 200+ players had the spanish passport? Not even one? IT'S A B-U-G

Edited by DMaster2

vor 1 Minute schrieb DMaster2:

..."But he will remain at Flamengo until July 2019 unless both sides agree otherwise."

The rule remains: No move before a player turns 18. But IRL clubs do have ways to "strech" the rules while ingame it's straight.

@Ferocious289- Please keep personal digs out.

There are in fact child labour laws in place in real life that tries to combat player movements before the age of 18. So there are very strict limitations as to how and when players under that age can move between clubs, mostly linked to "the family is moving so the player need a new club", but in real life clubs try to circumvent this in any way possible, that's why it does happen at times. FM are perhaps more strict in this regard, but by following the intent of the rules in place, players under 18 should in general NOT be allowed to switch clubs in both real life and FM. It's just that FM actually follow the laws.

2 minuti fa, Daveincid ha scritto:

..."But he will remain at Flamengo until July 2019 unless both sides agree otherwise."

The rule remains: No move before a player turns 18. But IRL clubs do have ways to "strech" the rules while ingame it's straight.

Lmao i don't want them asap in my team, i want to be able to make an offer, actually talking to the player, agree a contract and get a future transfer. Like you know in every other previous FM. What makes you think i want a 16 years old south american in my team asap?

It's simply IMPOSSIBLE that no south american youngster isn't interested in joining Real Madrid, i'm not even sure how you can claim otherwise.

Edited by DMaster2

Gerade eben schrieb DMaster2:

Lmao you are denying reality at this point. Plenty of clubs buy less than 18 years old brazilians for the future IRL and you claim otherwise? Please.

@XaW explained you the exceptions which happends IRL but won't happen in FM.  End of story

In questo momento, Daveincid ha scritto:

@XaW explained you the exceptions which happends IRL but won't happen in FM.  End of story

Nope in real life Vinicious Junior is one of the many cases when a move is agreed well before 18. Making it impossible to replicate it in FM makes the game unrealistic. End of the story.

Gerade eben schrieb DMaster2:

Nope in real life Vinicious Junior is one of the many cases when a move is agreed well before 18. Making it impossible to replicate it in FM makes the game unrealistic. End of the story.

at least we both agree that this is the end of the story so we can both move on :brock:

29 minutes ago, XaW said:

@Ferocious289- Please keep personal digs out.

There are in fact child labour laws in place in real life that tries to combat player movements before the age of 18. So there are very strict limitations as to how and when players under that age can move between clubs, mostly linked to "the family is moving so the player need a new club", but in real life clubs try to circumvent this in any way possible, that's why it does happen at times. FM are perhaps more strict in this regard, but by following the intent of the rules in place, players under 18 should in general NOT be allowed to switch clubs in both real life and FM. It's just that FM actually follow the laws.

If people are going to be condescending and come out with statements like ''if you don't like rules, then maybe the game isn't for you'' then you can't be suprised if they get called out for being patronising. Things like that really add nothing of value to a discussion

Edited by Ferocious289

The example brought up by DMaster2 (of no south amarican players being interested in a move to Real Madrid) is an interesting one, however I am going to suggest that probably DMaster2 and Daveincid are both correct here ;) .  How about this: what if the language of the labeling (not sure if that is the correct word) of FM was a bit different?  Instead of FM saying "Uninterested" it said "unavailable"?  Or to put it another way: you could have one box to check for interested and another for unavailable.  This way FM could still attempt to replicate a bit more real life in terms of the kids wanting to move to these kinds of clubs, but not being able to due to labor laws.  I have no idea how hard that is to code, but it could fix this issue.

It's unusual for 16 yo players to transfer to another club. I haven't looked through every club, but found that Chelsea signed 2 18 year olds (1 English and 1 Polish player), Man City signed a 17 year old (Scottish) player from Everton.

Looking at Real Madrid specifically, the first team didn't bring in young players.

Castilla bought a 17yo Spanish keeper from Leverkusen and a 19yo and 17yo from within Spain.

Real Madrid u19s bought 3 Spanish players, of which 1 was from Leverkusen and the other 2 from within Spain.

Looking through the U18, U17 and youth (14 and 15yo players) squads, there isn't a single player from another continent who doesn't have a Spanish passport. The youngest South American player I can find, is 23 years old and plays for Castilla.

FC Barcelona Atlètic (I think that's their B team?) signed an 18yo Argentinian recently.

I found 2 16yo Americans in the Barcelona u18 squad. 1 has only played in Spain and started at the Cornella youth and the other transferred from an American Academy to a Spanish one. I don't know the full stories though and those transfers happened in 2018.

Isn't the issue more about the negotiating starting at 16(ish), rather than literally moving clubs at that age? 

Undoubtedly something that has been spammed by FM players over the years, but also certainly something that happens in real life. 

I think SI haven't quite got the balance right with the blanket 'no' / zero interest and I expect they'll tweak it. 

Edited by Conrad Kaine

9 minutes ago, Conrad Kaine said:

Isn't the issue more about the negotiating starting at 16(ish), rather than literally moving clubs at that age? 

Yes, of course, but it seems that players aren't keen to agree to deals that'll only come into effect 2 or 3 years in the future. A lot can change in that time.

Undoubtedly something that has been spammed by FM players over the years, but also certainly something that happens in real life.

I've seen users showing 2 examples in recent years. It doesn't seem to be as common as it was before.

I think SI haven't quite got the balance right with the blanket 'no' / zero interest and I expect they'll tweak it. 

SI have asked for saves (as I posted earlier in this thread) where a player has less that a year left, so should be looking around but still has no interest, but none have been provided.

2 ore fa, HUNT3R ha scritto:

Yes, of course, but it seems that players aren't keen to agree to deals that'll only come into effect 2 or 3 years in the future. A lot can change in that time.

I've seen users showing 2 examples in recent years. It doesn't seem to be as common as it was before.

SI have asked for saves (as I posted earlier in this thread) where a player has less that a year left, so should be looking around but still has no interest, but none have been provided.

Sure i can understand if i'm Brighton that a south american may not be that interested but if Real Madrid go for Endrick and will pay him 3-4 millions per year there is no way he isn't interested to strike a deal, same that happened with Vinicius Junior and many others in the past. It's simply unrealistic.

It may happen with lower frequency? Sure, it's realistic since it doesn't happen often. Shouldn't happen at all like it is right now in the game? Nope, that's completly unrealistic.

9 minutes ago, DMaster2 said:

many others in the past.

I've seen 2 examples mentioned (one of which isn't South American), but you're talking about many others. Are there many recent examples?

same that happened with Vinicius Junior

Vinicius Jr's transfer was 4 years ago. The deal was done in 2017, which is more than 5 years ago. What does the situation look like today or in the last year?

2 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

How do you upload a save?

For what it's worth, I think that "interest" is the wrong word when it comes to transfers, and I wish it would be changed to something along "viable". Most 16 year olds would be interested moving to Real Madrid, but in very few cases it's "viable" to happen, due to many different things, such as actual laws prohibiting it.

Here is a basic source (from FIFA itself) regarding it:

https://www.fifa.com/legal/media-releases/fifa-publishes-its-guide-to-submitting-a-minor-application

Now, there are a lot of legal documents there, but essence is that players under 18 should not transfer internationally for footballing reasons.

1 minute ago, Ferocious289 said:

Thanks I'll upload it now

If you do, please post in the existing thread detailing the exact issue you're reporting and how SI can use your uploaded save to reproduce the issue. Let them know the name of the save too.

The game has always had weird ways of telling us things. Clearly every 16 yo playing football in Brazil would be interested in moving to Real Madrid. But the game is trying to replicate that we see very very few transfers arranged 2 or 3 years in advance (something which has been very easy to do in previous FM versions). So the solution has been to code youngsters only being interested in moves that can be completed inside 1 year. If the game would list the players as interested, but then always have them reject talking about a contract, people would call that unrealistic too. Sure, it can seem like duct tape over a pothole, but if makes the game more realistic most people will accept a little weirdness. 

Edited by Nacaw

15 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

If you do, please post in the existing thread detailing the exact issue you're reporting and how SI can use your uploaded save to reproduce the issue. Let them know the name of the save too.

I uploaded a save to soundclound and named in it in the thread is that right?

1 minute ago, Ferocious289 said:

I uploaded a save to soundclound and named in it in the thread is that right?

Yes, but you just mention that 95% of 16/17 year olds aren't interested. So there are 5% that are interested. That doesn't differ from the stance that there are very few transfers happening for players under 18.

SI do seem to be interested in players with less than a year remaining who still aren't interested. From that, it seems that 16 year olds shouldn't generally be interested, but you should have some 17 year old players who would be. That's what they seem to be after and if you have found 17 year old players with less than a year left who aren't interested, please tell them who these players are. It may well be that it's a bit too restrictive.

3 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Yes, but you just mention that 95% of 16/17 year olds aren't interested. So there are 5% that are interested. That doesn't differ from the stance that there are very few transfers happening for players under 18.

SI do seem to be interested in players with less than a year remaining who still aren't interested. From that, it seems that 16 year olds shouldn't generally be interested, but you should have some 17 year old players who would be. That's what they seem to be after and if you have found 17 year old players with less than a year left who aren't interested, please tell them who these players are. It may well be that it's a bit too restrictive.

Yeah I've managed to sign a 17 year old, but 16 year olds unless they're from the same country they are not interested even when they are within the EU.

I'm not being funny but I've uploaded the save, there's reports of other users having extreme difficulties with signing youngsters, there's not much more investigation I can do as I'm not being paid to go the extra mile and source out every player who I think is bugged.

If SI don't want to fix the issue once the full game is released I will find a way around it through modification, just hope for the sake of other users it gets resolved either way.

14 minutes ago, Ferocious289 said:

Yeah I've managed to sign a 17 year old, but 16 year olds unless they're from the same country they are not interested even when they are within the EU.

I'm not being funny but I've uploaded the save, there's reports of other users having extreme difficulties with signing youngsters, there's not much more investigation I can do as I'm not being paid to go the extra mile and source out every player who I think is bugged.

If SI don't want to fix the issue once the full game is released I will find a way around it through modification, just hope for the sake of other users it gets resolved either way.

There has been a lot of complaining that it's not like previous FMs. That doesn't mean there's a bug or an issue.

SI made a change that, in their opinion, reflects what's happening IRL. That clubs don't really sign 16 year olds often IRL and so this difficulty is reflected in-game.

They specifically asked for saves where there are players with less than a year remaining (so this should be players at 17 or older), who should be interested but aren't. I posted that reminder both in the bugs tracker and here.

That's where we're at. No one has uploaded a save that has the evidence SI has asked for and no one has posted evidence of 16 year old player transfers being more common than it is in-game.

You're complaining about players not wanting to sign even if they're in the EU. England broke away from the EU. If you're still playing as Man City, it's unfortunately realistic. Man City signed a local 17 year old recently:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-city-news-transfers-lawrence-24522427

A consequence of the decision for the United Kingdom to leave the EU in 2016 meant that from last year Premier League clubs would no longer be allowed to sign 16-year-old talents from the continent. Where City were once able to sign the likes of Brahim Diaz, Angelino and Eric Garcia from Spanish academies, now they have to find potential from closer to home.

Things have changed IRL and in FM. 

7 ore fa, Ferocious289 ha scritto:

I posted an example of a 16 yo who i brought to germany from italy in the first page

26 minutes ago, Raymond85 said:

I posted an example of a 16 yo who i brought to germany from italy in the first page

One example doesn't mean there is not an overall issue with signing 16 year olds. How many more have you successfully signed? I signed one 17 year old, doesn't mean anything. The majority will not be interested and other users have reported the same problem

1 hour ago, Ferocious289 said:

One example doesn't mean there is not an overall issue with signing 16 year olds. How many more have you successfully signed? I signed one 17 year old, doesn't mean anything. The majority will not be interested and other users have reported the same problem

U call it a problem though. Why is it a problem? In real life players don't jump clubs at those ages often.

In real life u got some exceptions, u've just said that u have had some exceptions in the game urself (signing a 17 year old).... Doesnt mean they at age 16-17 all gotta be jumping to ur club when u click with your fingers. As has been way too easy as long as i remember in FM.

Also, i just got a 15 year old Brazilian player (which looks to be possibly become quite great) in my youth intake at Ajax.... Does not have Dutch second nationality, or any other one then Brazilian. Thats another way players do get "poached", its just outside of the "i can buy them" scope in the game.

Edited by T-IceMan

1 hour ago, Ferocious289 said:

I don’t see the issue. It’s a rarity IRL and apparently it’s rare in the game. Why does it need to be multiple examples of 16 year olds signings?

1 hour ago, T-IceMan said:

U call it a problem though. Why is it a problem? In real life players don't jump clubs at those ages often.

In real life u got some exceptions, u've just said that u have had some exceptions in the game urself (signing a 17 year old).... Doesnt mean they at age 16-17 all gotta be jumping to ur club when u click with your fingers. As has been way too easy as long as i remember in FM.

Also, i just got a 15 year old Brazilian player (which looks to be possibly become quite great) in my youth intake at Ajax.... Does not have Dutch second nationality, or any other one then Brazilian. Thats another way players do get "poached", its just outside of the "i can buy them" scope in the game.

The boy came through your academy. If he's outside your academy and not in the same region it's impossible to sign a 16-17 year old on football manager 2023. Thats not realistic because we see european clubs poach 15-16 year old players all the time. I'll name some of them

Garnacho

Hannibal

Adam Aznou

Vininistus Junior

Jude Bellingham

Gabriel Martinelli

Cesc Fabregas

The list goes on and on

And right now there are teams lining up who are trying to sign 16 year old Endrick.

14 minutes ago, Ferocious289 said:

The boy came through your academy. If he's outside your academy and not in the same region it's impossible to sign a 16-17 year old on football manager 2023. Thats not realistic because we see european clubs poach 15-16 year old players all the time. I'll name some of them

Garnacho

Hannibal

Adam Aznou

Vininistus Junior

Jude Bellingham

Gabriel Martinelli

Cesc Fabregas

The list goes on and on

And right now there are teams lining up who are trying to sign 16 year old Endrick.

I can only give info on the Arsenal players. I don't really know a lot about the rest.

Fabregas: Fabregas left Barcelona and he was essentially a free transfer and was available for anyone to pick up. In FM23 no matter the age of the player, it is possible to sign them on a free transfer. For example if you are in Man city, it is possible in game to sign a 15-16 Brazilian if they aren't affiliated to any club.

Martinelli : Martinelli was signed by Arsenal when he was 18. He turned 18 a month before he signed for Arsenal. Arsenal scouts picked up on him 3-4 months before he signed for Arsenal.