FourFourTwo and other WC22 preview magazines

thefmveteran86

When Saturday Comes is the only football magazine I buy now - i'd thoroughly recommend that.  You'll get a wall chart as well.  I used to buy World Soccer too - but I think over the years the quality has gone down a bit.

I nearly bought Four Four Two the other day, then realised it was £8 :D

Been subscribing to WSC for longer than I can remember though, so I've got their wallchart.  Might get World Soccer as well if I go anywhere near a shop that sells it.

13 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

They did a special offer, 6 issues for £6 including the world cup issue, would have been rude not to :D 

Yeah I got the offer before I ended it sadly forgot to renew as I'd broken my ankle and wasn't able to get more :mad:

I liked World Soccer but that was about 10 years ago when newsagents and Sainsbury's sold it.

I stopped when too many of their pieces were squad lists and tables and I felt there were fewer features. The world cup one was good last time tbf as they cover every team in depth.

The lighter tone of the WSC one is good with which former players are pundits and who has endorsement deals, shouldn't really work but just does.

I also used to get France Football but print media is dying in France too and it's just a monthly insert in L'Equipe now. No idea if they have a WC special this year.

1 hour ago, aggressive minor said:

I remember when I used to buy 442, I feel the quality really dipped a while back sadly. 

Same...I had a subscription for years but ended it probably a good 5 years ago, maybe more. The quality just ended up being nowhere near as what I remembered it being like.

No World Soccer in local Smiths :thdn:

The Athletic did a great podcast series called Euro Stories where they had journos from major countries and Denmark, Greece etc going through past tournaments but I must have been one of about 3 listeners because it hasn't appeared in the same feed for the World Cup

The FFT wallchart looks great, but there are no tables to fill in (if that's what you are looking for). The preview magazine is always good reading, but not as in depth as something like World Soccer.

On 08/11/2022 at 16:49, mrbpme said:

The Guardian used to do booklets in the form of their discontinued Saturday tv/entertainment Guide but I don't think they do them anymore. 

The Guardian or The Observer usually put out a little booklet just before a tournament. The Guardian did one just before the women's Euros (still have mine), and I'd imagine they'll do the same for this. Worth keeping a look-out for over the weekend.

Edited by CFuller