Pre World Cup friendlies and preparation

Jeroen Thijssen

17 hours later, I'm still trying to figure out if this post was written in jest or if you seriously think anyone will watch a Qatar vs Albania friendly. Even if I were in prison with nothing to do and Qatar vs Albania was on the prison TV, I would probably choose a nap.

2 minutes ago, TokyoWanderer said:

17 hours later, I'm still trying to figure out if this post was written in jest or if you seriously think anyone will watch a Qatar vs Albania friendly. Even if I were in prison with nothing to do and Qatar vs Albania was on the prison TV, I would probably choose a nap.

Maybe a game between inmates would be better than that one. :D 

1 minute ago, thefmveteran86 said:

Don't we usually have friendlies or was it because it's the last Premier League round this weekend before the foreign players fly out with their respective countries? 

Brazil usually play a couple of friendlies before the WC, but no time this year, not just because of the Premier League.

2 minutes ago, thefmveteran86 said:

Don't we usually have friendlies or was it because it's the last Premier League round this weekend before the foreign players fly out with their respective countries? 

There are a handful this week for the countries that aren’t too reliant on European based players. Then quite a few middle of next week after the last round of domestic fixtures.

But then since there isn’t much time between the leagues finishing and the tournament starting some countries aren't playing at all.

1 minute ago, PMLF said:

Maybe a game between inmates would be better than that one. :D 

Brazil usually play a couple of friendlies before the WC, but no time this year, not just because of the Premier League.

Ah right fair enough I mean they could have done some during pre season? 

2 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

There are a handful this week for the countries that aren’t too reliant on European based players. Then quite a few middle of next week after the last round of domestic fixtures.

But then since there isn’t much time between the leagues finishing and the tournament starting some countries aren't playing at all.

Right 

Edited by thefmveteran86

• SI Staff
7 hours ago, TokyoWanderer said:

Qatar are at the World Cup and they are playing a preparation friendly.  This thread is to post an overview and perhaps to discuss the games.

3 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

Uzbekistan 0-3 Kazakhstan

Moldova 1-2 Azerbaijan

Latvia 1-1 Estonia (5-3 pens)

Turkiye 2-1 Scotland

Czechia 5-0 Faroe Islands

Andorra 0-1 Austria

Oman 0-1 Germany

Poland 1-0 Chile

Kosovo 2-2 Armenia

UAE 0-5 Argentina 

A few more friendlies since yesterday that didn’t involve World Cup teams:

Albania 1-3 Italy
Israel 4-2 Zambia
Malta 2-2 Greece
South Africa 2-1 Mozambique
Syria 0-1 Belarus
Tajikstan 0-0 Russia

• SI Staff

Some results from teams that are in the World Cup, as opposed to random friendly internationals between countries that have nothing to do with this World Cup :D 

Ghana 2-0 Switzerland
Japan 1-2 Canada
Jordan 0-3 Spain
Portugal 4-0 Nigeria
Morocco 3-0 Georgia

1 hour ago, Jeroen Thijssen said:

Some results from teams that are in the World Cup, as opposed to random friendly internationals between countries that have nothing to do with this World Cup :D 

Ghana 2-0 Switzerland
Japan 1-2 Canada
Jordan 0-3 Spain
Portugal 4-0 Nigeria
Morocco 3-0 Georgia

was wondering when reading a few of those latter posts whether I was so uninterested that I was unaware of the participating countries

looking forward to the Belgium-Egypt fixture tomorrow evening, after cancellation of the 15 Nov game (Iraq)

Eden Hazard will definitely (need to) make mins especially as he's not been playing a lot for Real

1 hour ago, PMLF said:

A few more friendlies since yesterday that didn’t involve World Cup teams:

Albania 1-3 Italy
Israel 4-2 Zambia
Malta 2-2 Greece
South Africa 2-1 Mozambique
Syria 0-1 Belarus
Tajikstan 0-0 Russia

Great result for Malta there. Belarus also unable to organise friendlies with UEFA teams? Wouldn't be a surprise.

Cyprus got a 0-0 draw with Sweden too.

Edited by Heartwork

FT St Lucia 1-1 San Marino

Probably for the first time in their history, San Marino conceded after committing too many men forward and getting caught on the counter. San Marino levelled it right at the death and the San Marino commentators LOST THEIR ****

Edited by Heartwork

1 minute ago, Heartwork said:

FT St Lucia 1-1 San Marino

Probably for the first time in their history, San Marino conceded after committing too many men forward and getting caught on the counter. San Marino levelled it right at the death and the San Marino commentators LOST THEIR ****

Saints derby. :D 

Saint Lucy vs Saint Marinus

4 hours ago, PMLF said:

Belgium beaten 1-2 by Egypt. 

Belgium was poor, Eden Hazard didn't seem the part and frankly seemed not ready at all

leaves a lot of questions unanswered as well who'll start up front as well as at the back 

39 year old centre-back Roy Chipolina levelled the goals record for Gibraltar on Wednesday, only for Liam Walker to score a penalty and reclaim the record for himself a few minutes later. It's currently HT against Andorra ad Gibraltar are 1-0 up courtesy of Roy Chipolina once again equalling the record.

20 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

St Lucia 1-0 San Marino

Wasn't to be for SMR in their search for an elusive win. They should try Oceania next.

Also,

Austria 2-0 Italy 

Not a good day for NTs from the Italian Peninsula. :D 

The Vatican were smart not playing any game. :D 

2 minutes ago, Makoto Nakamura said:

To be fair they did play the Italian National Team Doctors the other day but I don't know how the result went 😂

image.thumb.png.f483a59c9d808b49ea398a9a7fc16f8d.png

Both of them are Italian though, so I suppose both couldn’t have lost. :D