Old and slow but good players

Surely you already know that a players speed is highly dependent on the tactic you utilize and likely what you're playing against.

So the answer would be - it depends... 

If you elaborate and use specific examples then you'll probably get better answers.

No, they are not a hinderance unless they play in certain positions as mentioned. Strikers in roles where they are expected to run through on goal for example or fullbacks where they are often up against pacy wingers.

Some of the best players I've had are ones with terrible physical stats. James Rodriguez is one I've kept until he retires on several saves as he's outstanding. He guarantees 15+ assists and usually about that in goals as well. James Ward Prowse is another like that. Neymar is still exceptional at 35 on the game and will score 30+. Obviously less elite players will do lessser things, but players losing pace isn't necessarily a big problem for me.

It's tied very closely to the obsession players have with young players and wonderkids on the game. Players don't become useless at 27 on the game and often mature into better players because their mental stats improve. SI should really make it have more of an impact in the game. I.e if you don't have senior players in the squad your young players won't develop as well and if don't field any experience in your actual team they should collapse far more when facing adversity and be far less professional and disciplined.

6 hours ago, SergeiG said:

I usually sell old players before their value is tanked or it's not worth it for nobody because of their wage demands, Unless they got some great personality like model citizen. Ill stick with them until the bitter end for tutoring purposes.

This has been my approach too. I was a bit relieved when my 9 and falling pace midfielder "wanted to look at his options" at the end of the season.

Gerard Piqué & Sergio Busquets are waaay better in FM than in RL.. Both have ~10 acceleration and agility but I hardly ever see them somehow being bad in highlights because of it.. I think SI should really nerf their concentration value so that their age shines through a little more.. I also play Dani Alves as CM, and he still kicks ass..  I think Radamel Falcao might be a very good old player for cheap..

Edited by SC00P0NE