Match 17: Cymru vs Iran BBC1 10am GMT LIVE from the Ahmad bin Ali Stadium

Confused Clarity

We start the second round of matches with Cymru vs Iran.

Cymru froze in their first half against USA before rallying in the second half to get a draw. Iran got dismantled by England before showing glimpses of the attacking threat they can pose. Both teams need a result today.

Cymru: Just one change for the team with Kieffer Moore starting after his strong performance in the second half.

Iran: Despite my best efforts, No fancy graphic sadly, but I make it 5 changes for Iran?1697469725_Screenshot_20221125_085616_BBCSport.thumb.jpg.84e9a0dc7e87d4cbe1f43cc353dee37e.jpg

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Iran won't be as poor as they were in the last game, but losing Beiranvand so early on was a huge blow to their defence. If Wales can get an early goal, I can see them winning quite comfortably.

But I don't think it'll be as simple. I'm going for another close and cagey game that opens up in the second half. Wales to win 2-1 - but Gareth Bale will not score.

Iran to revert to type. Compact with everyone behind the ball and Wales won’t have the quality to pull them around like England did. Probably 1-0 but I’m not sure which way. 

A draw probably suits Iran better, even though they would only have one point from two games and Wales would have two. Then they just back themselves to go and beat USA by a couple of goals on MD3 and assume Wales don’t beat England.

3 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

The Anthem track they've picked for "Hen wlad fy nhadau" really is terrible. It's really out of tempo and has ended up behind the players and crowd both games so far.

I didn't think the one they are using for Brazil is that good either and that's usually the stand out moment of a World Cup.

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

As I said during USA match, Wales is here only because they had massive luck in the play-off.

What a horrid team.

You always need luck in the playoffs, but wouldn't call Wales a horrid team.

Their among the weaker teams, but played a good half against USA, so still much better than some of the worst team at the tournament.

Just now, Orzelek said:

You always need luck in the playoffs, but wouldn't call Wales a horrid team.

Their among the weaker teams, but played a good half against USA, so still much better than some of the worst team at the tournament.

Sorry, I meant by European standards.