Match 24: Argentina vs Mexico - ITV1 7pm GMT live from the Lusail Iconic Stadium

Coulthard's Jaw

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2-0. Mexico struggling to even reach the last 16 as things stand.

They must have one of the oldest squads at this World Cup - Ochoa, Guardado, Moreno, Herrera all still starting, and a 40-year-old keeper on the bench. I'm half-expecting Blanco and Marquez to come out of retirement on Wednesday. :p

57 minutes ago, Smallen said:

the xG 😭😭😭

They're not going anywhere like this, waiting for Messi long shots to bail them out isn't a sustainable game plan

I've firmly dropped them from the main favourites group, that's down to 3 teams now, Brazil France and Spain.

It was a better shape tonight with MacAllister trying to replicate Lo Celso's role. I think they're better with Enzo Fernandez or Paredes in the team, but I think Paredes' fitness is an issue. Didn't play much for Juve going in due to injury. De Paul looks off the pace and needs to go

2 hours ago, Harryseaess said:

That Messi touch and goal is brilliant.

Was watching him a lot of the second half, not the ball. And I noticed he was standing still a lot of the time in exactly that spot, or thereabouts, with the play taking place on the flanks and defenders running back.

As if he was deciding not to tire himself and waste energy to be in the melee and with no space around him.

But also to be able to all of a sudden speed things up and to electrify the pitch with one of his mazy runs from that position.

Think of Guardiola and his philosophy on less (pointless) running.

59 minutes ago, noikeee said:

They're not going anywhere like this, waiting for Messi long shots to bail them out isn't a sustainable game plan

I've firmly dropped them from the main favourites group, that's down to 3 teams now, Brazil France and Spain.

I had them as favourites pre tournament. 

Very, very unconvinced by them right now, but if they can learn from the 2nd half today and adjust their line-up, I wouldn't rule it out.

Think they badly need to top the group though, that'll give them another game to build momentum. If they finish second, France will easily knock them out (again).

7 minutes ago, buffalo said:

Was watching him a lot of the second half, not the ball. And I noticed he was standing still a lot of the time in exactly that spot, or thereabouts, with the play taking place on the flanks and defenders running back.

As if he was deciding not to tire himself and waste energy to be in the melee and with no space around him.

But also to be able to all of a sudden speed things up and to electrify the pitch with one of his mazy runs from that position.

Think of Guardiola and his philosophy on less (pointless) running.

Speaking of that and Guardiola...