Recruitment and scouting on FM23

In theory I really like this new approach. When you keep your squad planner up to date and clean, there will be more than enough assignments for your team. But I have one problem: When I try to set up an assignment, I never get player recommendations. Example: Playing in german second Bundesliga, I am looking for a loan from Germany, don't care about position and looking for CA one star und PA 3 stars. That's it. No recommendations. Any suggestions?

55 minutes ago, Smiza said:

In theory I really like this new approach. When you keep your squad planner up to date and clean, there will be more than enough assignments for your team. But I have one problem: When I try to set up an assignment, I never get player recommendations. Example: Playing in german second Bundesliga, I am looking for a loan from Germany, don't care about position and looking for CA one star und PA 3 stars. That's it. No recommendations. Any suggestions?

Have you got the scouting assignments delegated and you’re raising this as just a recruitment focus or do you have full control?

A few people have said when they have full control they get nothing back, when they set priority on top and standard too. 

For the record, I feel comfortable with Scouting and that's a good guide you posted up @danielgear, but if the in game guide is unable to explain this stuff then Scouting possibly isn't simple enough.

That is a lot of screens and selections all to find a player(s) that you may not be interested in and were I a new player it all seems quite long winded and tiresome.

5 minutes ago, Cobblers said:

For the record, I feel comfortable with Scouting and that's a good guide you posted up @danielgear, but if the in game guide is unable to explain this stuff then Scouting possibly isn't simple enough.

That is a lot of screens and selections all to find a player(s) that you may not be interested in and were I a new player it all seems quite long winded and tiresome.

Cheers bud, I actually wonder if a new player would find it easier than us, as we are very used to the old way and it’s a feature that hasn’t really been touched. For a new player they just click create recruitment focus and select what they want. 

vor 22 Minuten schrieb danielgear:

Have you got the scouting assignments delegated and you’re raising this as just a recruitment focus or do you have full control?

A few people have said when they have full control they get nothing back, when they set priority on top and standard too. 

Nah, it's delegated. 

Just now, danielgear said:

Cheers bud, I actually wonder if a new player would find it easier than us, as we are very used to the old way and it’s a feature that hasn’t really been touched. For a new player they just click create recruitment focus and select what they want. 

Yes, I suppose you could look at it that way. That said, I'd hate to be a new player coming into a game like FM (or other strategy games) as they are quite overwhelming - but I'm 45 years old so perhaps my brain just doesn't work as well these days at it once did! :kriss:

1 minute ago, Cobblers said:

Yes, I suppose you could look at it that way. That said, I'd hate to be a new player coming into a game like FM (or other strategy games) as they are quite overwhelming - but I'm 45 years old so perhaps my brain just doesn't work as well these days at it once did! :kriss:

God yeah playing since 97 has helped :D

Ha I'm a class of '92 here - Amiga 500.

Hated the game when I first played it and didn't even realise how you selected your players - thought it was crap and didn't play with it for 6 months. Went back to it, got it, got hooked. Paying for it ever since! 

Back on topic, whatever the solution, I suppose we have evidenced the range of abilities some will/have not and how difficult that must be to develop a game around and keep both sides of the customer base happy.

1 minute ago, Cobblers said:

Ha I'm a class of '92 here - Amiga 500.

Hated the game when I first played it and didn't even realise how you selected your players - thought it was crap and didn't play with it for 6 months. Went back to it, got it, got hooked. Paying for it ever since! 

Back on topic, whatever the solution, I suppose we have evidenced the range of abilities some will/have not and how difficult that must be to develop a game around and keep both sides of the customer base happy.

I was 6 in ‘92 so a bit too soon for me. ;) But yeah it must be hard to cater to both, Touch was probably a decent halfway house for starters. I think that’s back now isn’t it? 

3 minutes ago, danielgear said:

I was 6 in ‘92 so a bit too soon for me. ;) But yeah it must be hard to cater to both, Touch was probably a decent halfway house for starters. I think that’s back now isn’t it? 

Believe so. Not really for me though, I do like the full version.

Good for introduction though for sure! 

A good guide that I am sure plenty of people appreciate, its basically putting the approach that's been used by plenty of people familiar with the old school way of doing it. And its good to see it posted here too.  The database of scouted players has been my fallback for many years and that's always at your disposal.

I do feel that SI need to answer the "why" a player has been recommended. We know its a 'general' piece of advice, but in as far as recruitment meetings are concerned, I would like the "why" part answered. Why has a specific player been recommended? A player may have an "A" scouting recommendation, but why is he so good?  With the data available, scouts should be able to indicate that the player has been recommended because he gets into good goal scoring positions, or he is technically so skilled with the ball he creates goal scoring chances from his set pieces. Now that information is in the data that's already in the game. All it needs is a bit of translation for players. Its ok if SI uses their own metrics to determine say the quality of finishing or the quality of a players defensive actions. Hard core players can still use their spreadsheets and create their own tools like how FMstag and I have done. The work flow  n the game is still a bit tedious and it can be improved making it more accessible and easier for the new gamer. 

Not everyone who plays the game football manager understands how to use metrics in the game to distinguish quality, SI can offer that up for people who play the game by improving how the data hub works with scouting . I think this is a great way for the game to reach out to more casual players and bridge the gap between the hardcore statistics driven player and the casuals.

I have a question. In your post you say that you tick the option to "include players from previous Recruitment focus" In the couple of saves I have running this option is not available. Therefor it looks like that players from a previous focus are not included in any new focus areas, when I want to adjust the focus. How can I set it so I can also tick this option?

10 minutes ago, Dani538 said:

I have a question. In your post you say that you tick the option to "include players from previous Recruitment focus" In the couple of saves I have running this option is not available. Therefor it looks like that players from a previous focus are not included in any new focus areas, when I want to adjust the focus. How can I set it so I can also tick this option?

Honestly, I don’t know as I’ve not had that issue. My only guess would be that you don’t have any previous focuses? But you said it’s across a few saves so assume that you must have. Otherwise it seems like a bug. 

Can you post a screenshot of it?

2 hours ago, danielgear said:

Can you post a screenshot of it?

I've found the issue... apparently SI is excluding certain features when switching in another language... I've created a new post about it. When I switched to the English language it is there, but reverting back to Dutch it is gone... Now I am curious what else i've been missing haha.

Recruitment Focus - EN.png

Recruitment Focus - NL.png

1 minute ago, Dani538 said:

I've found the issue... apparently SI is excluding certain features when switching in another language... I've created a new post about it. When I switched to the English language it is there, but reverting back to Dutch it is gone... Now I am curious what else i've been missing haha.

How strange haha. Glad you have worked it out though 

vor 19 Stunden schrieb Dani538:

same for german.

How are folks finding the scouting after the 23.2 update on Thursday?

I didn't see anything about scouting on the change list, but I seem to be getting actual recommendations through from scouts where I wasn't before, which is promising.  (Entirely possible it's just me doing something different!)

I've had this recruitment focus running for about a month in the game.  I specifically assigned the scout and the recruitment analyst.  3.5 stars is quite high, so it makes sense to be only getting a handful of A and B recommendations.  They're also pulling through to the Scouting Centre as 'ongoing focus recommendations'.  (See Ndidi below.)

image.png.b2c7ed5e107f75b3501f24908c5e23c4.png

image.png.81dfa276fc85c73178749a2e307611fd.png

image.png.8f873971528fcd34cfa24e447add4dcf.png

16 minutes ago, MartinJ said:

How are folks finding the scouting after the 23.2 update on Thursday?

I didn't see anything about scouting on the change list, but I seem to be getting actual recommendations through from scouts where I wasn't before, which is promising.  (Entirely possible it's just me doing something different!)

I've had this recruitment focus running for about a month in the game.  I specifically assigned the scout and the recruitment analyst.  3.5 stars is quite high, so it makes sense to be only getting a handful of A and B recommendations.  They're also pulling through to the Scouting Centre as 'ongoing focus recommendations'.  (See Ndidi below.)

image.png.b2c7ed5e107f75b3501f24908c5e23c4.png

image.png.81dfa276fc85c73178749a2e307611fd.png

image.png.8f873971528fcd34cfa24e447add4dcf.png

Great to see that you’re getting recommendations, patch might just be a coincidence, had a few people say to me on socials they weren’t getting any but we found out it’s because they weren’t waiting enough for results. Had one saying they’d not had no results after 3 days but they waiting and they came after a few weeks. Getting the chief scout to set assignments seems to be the way forward.