Is Downloading Tactics Cheating?

So far, in FM23, I'm playing like a journeyman, I'm creating my own tactics and I'm doing pretty well. I've downloaded only set pieces and training programs from internet because I'm too lazy to deal with them. However, sometimes I want to use those overpowered tactics and I feel bad because of this. What do you think? Is using premade tactics cheating?

You have to decide for yourself what "cheating" is because it's a single player game, it doesn't really matter and one person's cheating is just how others play the game.

Some people will use custom databases with sugar daddys, some will use things like genie scout to scout players, some will use custom tactics.

At the end of the day it's finding the limit for you to:

A) Enjoy the game

B) Not feel like you are cheating yourself

And presuming because of this post you probably think you are cheating yourself?

If you are playing in a challenge with others, yes, if you don't then it's your game, do whatever you enjoy. Personally, I don't like to do it and often lose interest when I try it.

^ what they said.

Personally, I would feel I was cheating if I did that, particularly those tactics that have been specifically honed to exploit weakness in the ME. Having said that, I have a feeling (and it can only be that as I won't test it) that downloadable plug 'n' play tactics won't work as well in FM23. (a) the game seems to encourage finding the optimum tactics for your players which won't be the same as squads the pnp tactics have been tested on, and (b) the AI opposition now responds better to your tactics which means if you just plug in and never adapt them, the game will find you out.

What does it even mean to have op tactics?

Is analyzing and finding weak spots in opponent defense op?

Are you only allowed to you fb(su), cause iwb are a op role?

First post corners, are you allowed those?

Judge for youself

To me, where you get the tactic or instructions from is never an issue. Real life managers take inspiration from each other all the time. Where I draw the line is in using unrealistic formations that no one would use in real life. Examples of this are the 4-1-4AM-1 formations and 4-1-3AM-2 formations I saw do really well in FM22 "tactic tests." Even formations with three central strikers feel cheat-ish to me, so I won't use them myself.

20 minutes ago, b2khn said:

What does it even mean to have op tactics?

Is analyzing and finding weak spots in opponent defense op?

Are you only allowed to you fb(su), cause iwb are a op role?

First post corners, are you allowed those?

Judge for youself

When I judge for myself, I compare the unrealistic formations and instructions in plug-and-play designed tactics with the deep tactical analysis of Cleon. Chalk and cheese, in my book.

Best plug in tactics won’t work with inferior players so they aren’t always a guarantee for success.

If you’re new to the game then they are helpful when the game seems a bit complicated - I used one maybe 6-7 years ago when I got back into the game after 5+ years away.

But I also looked at what the tactic was attempting and now use parts of various tactics I’ve seen over the years.

If you only care about the score then that’s that’s cool

…..but if you want to learn more the “how” and the “why” of any tactic  then the game becomes that much more enjoyable. 

:kriss:

Definitely not "cheating".  The tactical side of the game doesn't especially interest me.  I don't really seem to have the analytical abilities to say why a tactic is or isn't working.  I usually download one and then adjust it beyond recognition.  I find the game is challenging enough without putting these restrictions on yourself.

Coaches attend coaching clinics at every level. Senior coaches mentor junior coaches. If you watch rashidi’s Bust the Net videos, or Z’s videos, or FM Scout, that’s the FM equivalent. And whether you “download” a tactic or copy it into your game by hand makes no difference that I can see.

My advice, though, is that before you use it, you should understand how it works and how your players fit into it, not just for your own enjoyment, but because otherwise it may not produce the results you expect.

Like others have said, it is up to you whether it is cheating. I have been struggling with tactics this year, so I will do a lot of research, watch a bunch of videos, and then create my own tactic. To me, downloading a tactic is cheating yourself, and you won't feel as accomplished when things start going your way.

As long as I've been coming to this forum one of the cardinal rules has been "don't tell others how to play their game."  I'm not sure if that is, or was, a literal written rule/guideline or just a tacit, community "norm."  Either way I'm not going to tell anyone how to play their game...except to say: enjoy!

As FM has gotten more complex (a net good thing to me, and for those that dont like that increasing  complexity/control there is FM Touch) it becomes more time consuming to have full control of all the potential managerial aspects of the game.

I used to greatly enjoy developing my own tactics from scratch.  Of course I had also downloaded tactics, incluind infamous "cheat" or "exploit" tactics like the legendary Diablo.  

The way I have been playing FM for several (many?) years now is downloaded a variety of tactics that fit my "feel" for the game and then use  them as a platform for how I want my team to play.  I stay away from both what seems to me (football is about opinions) as "unrealistic" or "exploits" and I also stay away from tactics that just dont play the way I want my team(s) to play, regardless of how effective it is.  

For me it is more of a time saver.  Also a frustration saver!  I don't find any diminishement in satisfaction from downloading tactics.  I do enjoy tweaking them to get them to fit more to my style of play, which is pretty consitent year to year. 

Again, its YOUR game, enjoy it!