Player Partnerships

On the tactics screen sometimes it will say that  two players that are put together have a poor partnership and played poorly when paired together.  

The players are 31 and 27 years old - how do I improve there partnership.  I thought originally of putting them in the  same mentoring groups but they are both really too old for mentoring.  Is there a way through training that this can be improved or is it a case of just playing them together and hope that they form a better partnership

I think that the description of “poor” is incorrect. As far as I can tell the orange lines are one step from no lines at all and really mean that the players are starting to build a relation not that they have a “poor” relationship. Keep playing them in the same positions and the relationship should improve.

Yeah as Hovis said you're reading it wrong.  Poor is in relation to how they play together...but 'poor' (in relation to excellent) is better than a non-existant relationship.  Not a great word to use given it's actual meaning really.

Keep playing them, it will improve.

9 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

I hadn't realised that. I've been keeping players apart when they've been flagged as such.

Same, they have worded that horribly if that is the case! I have always thought it was better to have no line rather than the "poor" one. You learn something new every day!

The dotted "poor" partnership lines are related to form. If a partnership has developed then either of them or both hit a rough patch of form the dotted line of doom will appear, once they both hit a bit of form the partnership will restore itself  

Interesting. Like the OP, I also presumed the two players weren't capable of playing well with each other, or there was some wider reason as to why, for example, personality mix.

Noted for the future.

20 hours ago, Hovis Dexter said:

I think that the description of “poor” is incorrect. As far as I can tell the orange lines are one step from no lines at all and really mean that the players are starting to build a relation not that they have a “poor” relationship. Keep playing them in the same positions and the relationship should improve.

Thanks for the input - I as others thought it meant that they were 'poor' playing together so avoided playing them as a pairing.

On 24/01/2023 at 15:28, Hovis Dexter said:

Wow, I had been looking at this all wrong. Sounds like calling it a "low" or "minimal" relationship, or something similar, would be a better description to use in the game.

• 1 month later...

Further to building the partnership,  as well as playing them more together, I guess if the team cohesion was quite high the partnership would improve more quickly.

Would it also improve quicker if the players where put in mentoring groups together, even though the players are quite old 31 and 27. I normally use mentoring to change the squads personalities by putting a highly influential / team leader with a positive personality mentoring youngsters with poor or mediocre personalities to improve them.

So would this work by just putting the 2 players together who had a fairly poor partnership, to get them to gel more quickly  If so should I add them to an already existing group or create a second group with just the 2 players in it. From what I understand mentoring needs 3 players for the group to work - is this correct? as if so I could add another youngster to the group.  The players personalities in question who have the fairly poor partnership are not professional, driven resolute etc so didn't want to affect a youngsters personality if this doesnt work.

Is there any training schedules apart from teamwork,  that I could use to make this partnership develop quicker too.

Like many others, I have been splitting up poor pairs rather than expecting them to improve their relationship. It is credible, after all, that players can make the team worse if they are played in certain combinations of position & role--and that is something that would be useful to know and flag up.