Youth Recruitment Level??

I can’t figure out if this is a bug but when I improve my levels and also youth facilities it seems to have no impact on quality going through - am I doing something wrong? Oddly I’ve noticed my first intake usually is pretty good despite having below average facilities and youth recruitment.

Have to say the intake preview is useless and offers nothing as it never is right, seems an odd feature in building hopes up of an excellent intake to then get rubbish.

This is the official word for youth recruitment:

Producing Newgens
The Clubs with the best Youth Recruitment will generally pick up the best Junior talent from that Nation first, the scale of that talent being determined by the Nation Youth Rating and Game Importance. The lower the Youth Recruitment the further down the pecking order a club will find itself. Two clubs with identical Youth Recruitment will be sorted by Club Reputation. Being lower down this pecking order does not mean quality Newgens cannot be produced, it simply lowers the chances.

Youth Facilities and Junior Coaching then simulate and determine how that Junior progresses in the Club’s Junior system until a Newgen is produced and appears in game. It is at this point that the Current Ability (CA) and Potential Ability (PA) of the newgens are decided. The above factors all contribute to both CA and PA equally.

They've also said that it takes time before it has enough impact without saying how long, but I would imagine a few years at least.

23 minutes ago, chipspice1974 said:

I can’t figure out if this is a bug but when I improve my levels and also youth facilities it seems to have no impact on quality going through - am I doing something wrong? Oddly I’ve noticed my first intake usually is pretty good despite having below average facilities and youth recruitment.

Have to say the intake preview is useless and offers nothing as it never is right, seems an odd feature in building hopes up of an excellent intake to then get rubbish.

But, even if you do everytihng right, there is still a fair amont of randomness/luck involved

Oddly enough, the first season I tend to get good youth recruitment. 

Once all board related upgrades have taken place for recruitment those players coming through seem not so good as compared to the first season. 

Could be me. But the improvements don't seem to have a positive enough effect for my liking. 

10 hours ago, Cobblers said:

Oddly enough, the first season I tend to get good youth recruitment. 

Once all board related upgrades have taken place for recruitment those players coming through seem not so good as compared to the first season. 

Could be me. But the improvements don't seem to have a positive enough effect for my liking. 

Yeah, that first intake tends to be a bit of a freebie. 

Upgrading facilities is a long term project in real life as in the game.  If you're impatient you can just go for the buying the best you can get approch or do a Journeyman career.