Determination goes up by 5 in one month?

Hi all. I've just had a message pop up in my inbox which I had never seen before. It was from my head of youth development, regarding my back up rightback (a 19 year old). 

It says that he has made remarkable improvements in his attitude. Note that I also received a message that he is showing pleasing progress on the same date. I checked his development and noticed that, over the past month, his determination went up by 5(!) points, from 13 to 18.

I don't think it's necessarily unrealistic, he may just have 'seen the light'. But I have never encountered this before in this game (I'm in October 2029) or previous editions.

Does this happen often, and have other players seen it before? I know that determination does not affect CA, but it likely will positively affect his development.

Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 18.15.52.png

Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 18.19.06.png

This happens for various of the attributes that guide personality, and is meant to replicate players who have a major incident happen in their life outside football that has an impact on how they are as a person. For example the birth of a child can make anyone rethink their choices and reflect a bit. It can go both up and down though, so a very determined player can have a major drop as well.

I've seen a major improvement in professionalism, determination, and ambition, but also major drops for the same. So it can be a blessing or a curse depending on the outcome.

Yes, these sudden rises or drops can happen to other attributes as well such as professionalism.

You can also make determination go up, by fining players. (Wasn't me that discovered this).  I think SI have reduced the effect from a couple of years ago where I probably increased determination by 15 or so (without the sudden jump you've screenshot)

6.5 warning

6.3 or 6.4 1 day's fine

6.2 or below 1 week's fine

However what you've shared probably wasn't the result of anything you've done. It just happens sometimes in the game.

Edited by vikeologist

I had a player in FM17, his Determination for same reason shot up by about 10 points.

Be warned, can go opposite way. I had a wonderkid I signed for Barcelona, FM21 I think, for lots of money. Determination dropped from 18 to 8! :D

Doesn't happen often though. Enjoy it when its in your favour, scream when its against you - its life ;)

On 09/02/2023 at 17:09, Lord Rowell said:

I had a player in FM17, his Determination for same reason shot up by about 10 points.

Be warned, can go opposite way. I had a wonderkid I signed for Barcelona, FM21 I think, for lots of money. Determination dropped from 18 to 8! :D

Doesn't happen often though. Enjoy it when its in your favour, scream when its against you - its life ;)

We call that the "Dele Alli"