Preseason Friendlies

My approach to preseason friendlies has always been to schedule weak opponents at home, on the theory that a slew of wins helps build morale, thereby enhancing performance once the season begins. However, in my current save, I've decided on a new tactic for the upcoming season (25-26), and it occurs to me that I should probably have at least one quality opponent as a means of testing the new tactic for weak spots.

I'm curious how others approach their preseason friendlies--weak sisters or tough opponents--and why.

I've always traditionally done weak opponents, massive roatations and huge wins...as you say...

However, I have read (can't recall where now off-hand) that this no longer has the same desired results it always used to....can't say I've noticed myself and know plenty of the toobers still use the same method we all have/do for years.  As for testing of a tactic...I don't think pre-season friendlies are the best (opposition may not play a full strength side etc) though will always help with familiarity.  For a tue test you really want a test save over a full season using a couple of diff sides...however, it's a little hardcore and real managers can't do that can they, however, real managers can also do lots we can't so swings and roundabouts there really.

If was going to use it, i'd still play it against weak sides to get the familiarity up first and foremost, without that, you really have no clue at all how it will work against any team (good or bad).

I try to keep things realistic when it comes to pre-season friendlies:

• 6-8 matches (depending on how long pre-season is)
  • 3-5 away matches vs weaker opponents
  • 2-4 home matches vs stronger/similar opponents
  • Max of 2 friendlies per week; minimum 3-day gap between matches

I know a lot of people like to pack their schedules with home games against weaker teams. That can be great for team morale and cohesion, but I think it can also breed complacency if you're constantly winning matches 10-0 and not getting properly tested. You also might not be giving your team enough of the intense physical training they need to last through a long, hard season.

12 minutes ago, CFuller said:

I try to keep things realistic when it comes to pre-season friendlies:

• 6-8 matches (depending on how long pre-season is)
  • 3-5 away matches vs weaker opponents
  • 2-4 home matches vs stronger/similar opponents
  • Max of 2 friendlies per week; minimum 3-day gap between matches

I know a lot of people like to pack their schedules with home games against weaker teams. That can be great for team morale and cohesion, but I think it can also breed complacency if you're constantly winning matches 10-0 and not getting properly tested. You also might not be giving your team enough of the intense physical training they need to last through a long, hard season.

I've never had a problem with complacency. My main concern now is how to deal with the manner in which strong teams will defend my new tactic, which is a 4-2-4 with emphasis on wing play. I don't want to be dealing with this for the first time facing Barcelona, away. Looking at your method, I like the idea of playing weak opponents away and strong at home. If your preseason schedule is as short as 6 games, how do you manage to get everyone "match fit"? 

2 minutes ago, gunnerfan said:

I've never had a problem with complacency. My main concern now is how to deal with the manner in which strong teams will defend my new tactic, which is a 4-2-4 with emphasis on wing play. I don't want to be dealing with this for the first time facing Barcelona, away. Looking at your method, I like the idea of playing weak opponents away and strong at home. If your preseason schedule is as short as 6 games, how do you manage to get everyone "match fit"? 

In each week of pre-season (except the first one), we either play 2 friendlies, or play 1 friendly and have 1 match practice session. Rest periods are also kept to a minimum during pre-season, as I think too much rest can reduce match sharpness. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I also try to give my senior players a fair share of gametime, as starters and as subs. If any players are still short of match sharpness before our first competitive game (there may still be 1 or 2 of these), they'll play in more friendlies for the reserve team until they're sharp.

For me, the first couple of weeks is about getting the blood flowing in the legs and players getting reacquainted with each other and the tactics, so opponents will be patsies. Then for the rest of preseason I schedule friendlies for the first team squad, U21s and U18s to give everyone games. I'll incrementally increase the level of the opposition with the penultimate one being a tier or two above us. For the last friendly, I'll revert to a lower-level opponent so as to ensure we go into the competitive season with good morale.

This year, I am going for just home games and just enough to get the squads sharpness up.

Anytime you have a game, you lose training sessions.  When you have anything but home games, you lose more training sessions through travel before & after the game.

I schedule games against similar or higher reputation teams - not sure if that makes much difference or not.

1 hour ago, stevedaytona said:

This year, I am going for just home games and just enough to get the squads sharpness up.

Anytime you have a game, you lose training sessions.  When you have anything but home games, you lose more training sessions through travel before & after the game.

I schedule games against similar or higher reputation teams - not sure if that makes much difference or not.

Managing a part-time club, I arrange friendlies for the days we don't have training, and I try to organise away matches that pay cash - can make a fair difference to the bank balance.

1 hour ago, phnompenhandy said:

Managing a part-time club, I arrange friendlies for the days we don't have training, and I try to organise away matches that pay cash - can make a fair difference to the bank balance.

Yes, that makes sense for a part-time club

• 2 weeks later...

I found when managing a lower league team if you have lower league rivalries setting home matches with these bring in significant revenue, it doesn't cost much to set up and you get great gates.

Sadly, with Bermondsey Town  they have no rivalries at all so in this save I can not take advantage of this :rolleyes:

Edited by SOULjah