​[FM23.4] Club World Cup redux

This may be rendered moot by the next update, but for now it adds the 2022 format from earlier this month with 7 teams.

Update: The official March update also added the February 2023 CWC, so I've cleaned that up, and like in the earlier version of this file, I've added the dates planned for next season in December 2023 as an annual tournament.

The CWC keeps its somewhat random host rotation after the first edition in Morocco, so Saudi won't necessarily host in December 2023 as planned.

I also made an alternate version using the 8-team format from the year 2000:

Spoiler

groups1.thumb.png.170042be14be04d64fbfb88b7c97691f.png

In the 8-team version, the extra space is taken by the defending champion (or runner-up if they already qualified as host nation league winner).

UPDATE: The 32-team version is the planned summer 2025 version, held every four years. Every other year, in December a 7-team version is still played.

February 2023 is played like IRL, same with December 2023. I've kept the old versions up, including the one that just keeps the old 7-team format forever.

7-team CWC or 8-team CWC
or
32-team CWC
Bonus:
TMC Megapack

Edited by themodelcitizen

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 horas atrás, themodelcitizen disse:

This may be rendered moot by the next update, but for now it adds the 2022 format from earlier this month with 7 teams.

I kept the CWCs squad rules and somewhat random host rotation, so no Morocco (first one is in China). Also scraps the planned 2025 expansion.

For next season, I've gone with the dates planned for December 2023 and on, with an alternate version using the 8-team format from the year 2000:

Mostrar conteúdo oculto

roundtree.thumb.png.5a7febbbe9b286b81892efcab9fd2b52.pnggroups1.thumb.png.170042be14be04d64fbfb88b7c97691f.png

In the 8-team version, the extra space is taken by the defending champion (or runner-up if they already qualified from the host nation).

February 2023 is the IRL format, and from December 2023 you have your choice of:

Pick one:
7-team CWC OR 8-team CWC

That cool friend, please put this 8 team file here because I can't download it on this other site.

6 horas atrás, themodelcitizen disse:

Aqui estão alguns links espelhados para 7 equipes ou 8 equipes . A primeira edição (fevereiro de 2023) é de 7 equipes de qualquer 

Friend, the file is great but the World Cups usually have 1 single stadium, there are several and several games and only 1 stadium, which is a little strange. Would there be the possibility of 1 stadium for each group as it was in 2000?

Edited by ts9227976

I was playing around to try and and make it so the home nation team gets Group A played at their stadium.

I also thought about the 2000 approach (eg. one group in Sao Paulo, one group in Rio). There's just no way to account for it properly. Like, what if Real Madrid played in group A at Camp Nou, and Barcelona played in group B at the Bernabeu? Lol, in real life they'd obviously plan it the other way. But I don't think we can account for that ahead of time in the game, unless someone knows how to manipulate those editor choices like "get competition neutral (exclude home)" for our purposes. So, instead both group A and group B use the top two stadiums.

On the plus side, no more doubleheaders (two games at the same stadium in the same day). IMO it's amateurish and unbefitting of a "World Cup"

Actually forget that. I've now got it so Group A is mostly played at one stadium, and group B at another.

The hosting can be interesting, in either version you're just as likely to see a country like France or Netherlands, leading to a tournament with multiple powerhouses, as frequently as Egypt or India, who send their league champion like any other host.

Also considering moving it to a different part of the calendar if people prefer. Late December/early January would line up with European winter breaks, while June was planned for 2025 (and might be reflected with some default league scheduling?). August was planned for 2001 way-back-when and would work in preseason if we can squeeze it around the various Super Cups and make it work for calendar-year leagues like MLS, Brazil etc.

It looks like you'd have to squeeze it in under 2 weeks between the Community Shield and UEFA Super Cup, so European preseason doesn't really work for an extended version either

4 horas atrás, themodelcitizen disse:

I was playing around to try and and make it so the home nation team gets Group A played at their stadium.

I also thought about the 2000 approach (eg. one group in Sao Paulo, one group in Rio). There's just no way to account for it properly. Like, what if Real Madrid played in group A at Camp Nou, and Barcelona played in group B at the Bernabeu? Lol, in real life they'd obviously plan it the other way. But I don't think we can account for that ahead of time in the game, unless someone knows how to manipulate those editor choices like "get competition neutral (exclude home)" for our purposes. So, instead both group A and group B use the top two stadiums.

On the plus side, no more doubleheaders (two games at the same stadium in the same day). IMO it's amateurish and unbefitting of a "World Cup"

😁You have downloaded the new file

You'll love this. Had one randomly hosted in Brazil and it looks a lot like the 2000 tournament:

Spoiler

braztourney.thumb.png.dbd0901710c414aa2d11018e7a235141.pngbraztourney2.thumb.png.fc5a4f5f48c630370a50595752ffe1a4.png

By chance, São Paulo played all their games at home, and Flamengo mostly played at the Maracanã. If you load the Brazilian league, they finish the Brasileirão just days before the tournament kicks off, it's a great way to end the season.

Also fun to see hosts in Italy, Germany, Turkey, etc. Seems to be a wide list of potential hosts.

10 minutos atrás, themodelcitizen disse:

You'll love this. Had one randomly hosted in Brazil and it looks a lot like the 2000 tournament:

Mostrar conteúdo oculto

braztourney.thumb.png.dbd0901710c414aa2d11018e7a235141.pngbraztourney2.thumb.png.fc5a4f5f48c630370a50595752ffe1a4.png

By chance, São Paulo played all their games at home, and Flamengo mostly played at the Maracanã. If you load the Brazilian league, they finish the Brasileirão just days before the tournament kicks off, it's a great way to end the season.

Also fun to see hosts in Italy, Germany, Turkey, etc. Seems to be a wide list of potential hosts.

Please put the new file here for download. like you did before? I really liked this file 😁

Edited by ts9227976

It's the same file as the 8-team version.

The hosts are random, same as before. So, it randomly chose Brazil, and they had their league winner as hosts + the South American champion, who also happened to be Brazilian (same as 2000). Keep playing and you'll see lots of different hosts.

Agora, ts9227976 disse:
5 minutos atrás, themodelcitizen disse:

It's the same file as the 8-team version.

The hosts are random, same as before. So, it randomly chose Brazil, and they had their league winner as hosts + the South American champion, who also happened to be Brazilian (same as 2000). Keep playing and you'll see lots of different hosts.

Expand  

Right friend thank you very much 😁

Hi @themodelcitizen, my compliments for your work!

Is it possibile to do a 32-teams 12-teams Club World Cup? I mean in this way:

- Qualified Teams:

UEFA Champions League winner and runner up

UEFA Europa League winner and runner up

CONCACAF Champions League winner and runner up

AFC Champions League winner and runner up

Copa Libertadores winner and runner up

CAF Champions League and OFC Champions League winners

- Tournament Phase

1) 8 groups, 4 groups, 3 teams --> first teams advance to 2nd phase

2) Semifinals

3) 1st/2nd place Final and 3rd/4th place Final.

The cup is played every years in december and in rotation host.

Sorry for my not perfect English, I'm italian and speak a little english.

Edited by PaMi 7

32 teams, but you've listed 12 qualifiers, and described a tournament with 24 teams? :lol: I can do a custom version. But in general the European calendar won't like fitting in a fifth matchday, the four now (used to be two in the 7-team format, or up to four if they host) is already pushing it

18 minuti fa, themodelcitizen ha scritto:

32 teams, but you've listed 12 qualifiers, and described a tournament with 24 teams? :lol: I can do a custom version. But in general the European calendar won't like fitting in a fifth matchday, the four now (used to be two in the 7-team format, or up four if they host) is already pushing it

Sorry, I'm very tired :D I meaned 12 teams version, 4 group of 3 teams...

Excuse me but I don't understand this:

"But in general the European calendar won't like fitting in a fifth matchday, the four now (used to be two in the 7-team format, or up four if they host) is already pushing it"

What does mean? I used Google Translate but I don't understand.

Anyway, you can do a 12 team version for me, please? If it is possible to do, of course

4 minutos atrás, PaMi 7 disse:

Sorry, I'm very tired :D I meaned 12 teams version, 4 group of 3 teams...

Excuse me but I don't understand this:

"But in general the European calendar won't like fitting in a fifth matchday, the four now (used to be two in the 7-team format, or up four if they host) is already pushing it"

What does mean? I used Google Translate but I don't understand.

Anyway, you can do a 12 team version for me, please? If it is possible to do, It 

It would be really cool

It's possible. The issue is that the fixture calendar will become even more crowded.

A 12-team tournament needs 5 matchdays (jornadas). 3 group matchdays, then 2 knockout games (semis and final).

My 8-team tournament needs 4 matchdays (for example, December 10, 13, 16, and 20). This is comprised of 3 group matchdays, then 1 knockout (straight to final and third place, like in 2000).

We can't start any earlier, because the Brazilian league season finishes 3 days before this tournament kicks off.

We can finish later, close to Christmas, but teams like Liverpool, Real Madrid, PSG etc will have even more crowded calendars. More league and cup games will be delayed, the whole calendar will be thrown off.

But if that's fine, I can eventually make a fantasy 12-team version like they planned in 2001.

Here's a 12-team version (updated for 23.3 March update) @ts9227976. I've tried to keep it under 2 weeks.

Every continent sends at least two teams, except Oceania who send one (sorry OFC), with another spot for the host team.

Generally its Champions League winner and Super Cup winner (or CL runner-up). North America's spots are taken by their Champions League winner and Leagues Cup winner, because I feel like they're gonna do something like that IRL.

Spoiler

12teams.thumb.png.17ceb4b0f960d82238471bd6dbcc057b.png

Marinos were seeded in group A as hosts. The other top seeds were the Copa Libertadores winner, UEFA Champions League winner, and UEFA Super Cup winner (or UCL runner-up).

9 horas atrás, themodelcitizen disse:

Here's a 12-team version @ts9227976. I've tried to keep it under 2 weeks.

Every continent sends at least two teams, except Oceania who send one (sorry OFC), with another spot for the host team.

North America's spots are taken by their Champions League winner and Leagues Cup winner, because I feel like they're gonna do something like that IRL.

Ocultar conteúdo

12teams.thumb.png.17ceb4b0f960d82238471bd6dbcc057b.png

Marinos were seeded in group A as hosts. The other top seeds are the Copa Libertadores winner and the UEFA Champions League winner and runner-up.

Do you have the download of this file?? 😁

Adjusted? Both are quite detailed and played every December starting in 2023, just the amount of teams is the difference

EDIT: simming some more, and this is why you need to account for every possibility with backups... Man Utd qualifying as Europa League winner (as intended):

Spoiler

utdfixtures.thumb.png.7288c800f5d1b8c59b74536ca51d2aa6.pngmanutd2.thumb.png.e4f614e7ccc3d03729b795e70b6bd176.pngmanutd3.thumb.png.a6e191a8d330b67c4c726ed478047dcd.png

This came from Bayern Munich taking the host spot, and Real Madrid taking the spot as defending champion. The European spot would go to the Champions League winner first, with the runner-up as backup, but Bayern and Real were those teams this year. I had added an entry for the Europa League winner as a last resort backup, thinking it would almost never be used... always plan for the worst!

2 horas atrás, themodelcitizen disse:

Adjusted? Both are quite detailed and played every December starting in 2023, just the amount of teams is the difference

EDIT: simming some more, and this is why you need to account for every possibility with backups... Man Utd qualifying as Europa League winner (as intended):

Ocultar conteúdo

utdfixtures.thumb.png.7288c800f5d1b8c59b74536ca51d2aa6.pngmanutd2.thumb.png.e4f614e7ccc3d03729b795e70b6bd176.pngmanutd3.thumb.png.a6e191a8d330b67c4c726ed478047dcd.png

This came from Bayern Munich taking the host spot, and Real Madrid taking the spot as defending champion. The European spot would go to the Champions League winner first, with the runner-up as backup, but Bayern and Real were those teams this year. I had added an entry for the Europa League winner as a last resort backup, thinking it would almost never be used... always plan for the worst!

Adjusted would be a synonym for better. as I'm Brazilian sometimes words have different semantics

The archive is really the best in the world of clubs.  But when a team is champion, it doesn't stay on that last champions bar.  Real Madrid was champion in the 2023 tournament, and when I looked at the last club world titles, the last title was still like 2018. Could you tell me why?

1 hora atrás, themodelcitizen disse:

In the 12-team version? The history is updating fine for me in all versions:

Ocultar conteúdo

CWChistory.thumb.png.303f6680fd7f9292afe7409032ff08a5.pngrealtrophy.thumb.png.fe33a25be353e5ebd8278d4f5dec02c1.pngcarletto.thumb.png.9e93db798d48bd4e5871f6981f0ba53b.png

Are you running any other files that touch the Club World Cup?

No. I'm playing normally, Chelsea and Real Madrid were champions and both titles were not counted.

I just ran a test with ONLY the 12-team version, no other editor files, and the history is showing fine:

Spoiler

bugcheck.thumb.png.091f98ceb74f2c2232fb6d1be579189d.png

So I don't think it's anything in my files... I wonder if it's something to do with the starting the 23.2.2 version of the database or not. Let me know if anyone else is seeing this

13 horas atrás, themodelcitizen disse:

I just ran a test with ONLY the 12-team version, no other editor files, and the history is showing fine:

Ocultar conteúdo

bugcheck.thumb.png.091f98ceb74f2c2232fb6d1be579189d.png

So I don't think it's anything in my files... I wonder if it's something to do with the starting the 23.2.2 version of the database or not. Let me know if anyone else is seeing this

Because I really don't know what happened 🥲 but I'm going to play more times to see if this error is repeated. But even if it does, it doesn't interfere at all. Because the file is very good.

6 hours ago, PaMi 7 said:

@themodelcitizenI'm so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, gratefull for your works :)

two last pleasures, if possible and if you want: instead of host spot, can you put another team as other "CL" winner/runner up, please?

Noooo I love the host spot. Lol. It's like a random lottery if you're playing in Holland or Turkey or something and win the league at the right time. But I can work on more custom versions this weekend.

I need to make that CONCACAF/CONMEBOL Final 4 tournament starting in 2024, it could also send its winner as a backup, instead of the defending CWC winner... the defending champion getting in is fun, but can lead to teams winning 3 or 4 in a row with some momentum

Here's a revived Copa Interamericana (backup) from 2024, the Final 4 competition which has been mooted - you'll need to run it with one of my Club World Cup files, as I've put it where the CWC used to be in June (but every year).

You get winners from the Leagues Cup and CCL, and Copa Lib and Copa Sud (as announced), facing off at a (realistic) top US stadium

Spoiler

CopaInter.thumb.png.c3a0ccecda6e3996fe014820eeac4ef7.png

17 ore fa, themodelcitizen ha scritto:

Noooo I love the host spot. Lol. It's like a random lottery if you're playing in Holland or Turkey or something and win the league at the right time. But I can work on more custom versions this weekend.

I need to make that CONCACAF/CONMEBOL Final 4 tournament starting in 2024, it could also send its winner as a backup, instead of the defending CWC winner... the defending champion getting in is fun, but can lead to teams winning 3 or 4 in a row with some momentum

On the other hand, I don't like the guaranteed place for the host team :D

However, I prefer:

1) a 12-team tournament, as already explained or 2) a 6-team tournament with the 6 winners of the 6 Champions Leagues.

I also thought to an other idea: if group's matches finish on draw at 90', it directly goes to penalty so no extratime. Win in 90' = 3 points; win to penalty = 2 points; lost to penalty = 1 point; lost to 90' = 0 points

what do you think? :D

Sounds like old school NASL :lol: I don't know about those rules but it's an easy change in the editor, just go into "league settings" and further down there's options for the different points (and for penalties after a draw under "match rules" further down).

You like those groups of 3? I can't imagine FIFA scaling it back (or scaling anything back, ever) but why not. I might try and change the rules to hard-bake the hosts too. Speaking of which, has anyone started a new default game with the new update yet? Have they done anything with the CWC or still just starting in June 2025 in China?

EDIT: Yeah, they've adjusted it based on real life, the 7-team version is back for February 2023 at least. I'm guessing it then goes Dec. 2023, Dec. 2024, then the silly 24 or 32-team format in June. I'll test some more and release a fix for each version this weekend.

On further review I don't like the looks of the 2023 version in the patch, the history entry looks off and it doesn't include the planned version in December (and next year).

This may be because they had issues with the seedings, they went with a "registered teams" to account for the weirdness that put Al-Ahly in the playoff vs. OFC this year. That spot is for the host team, but Wydad Casablanca was also continental champion got bumped up and the continental runner-up dropped down instead. My 7-team version has a durable fix for this over each season.

On the plus side the first version should be held in Morocco. I might do a "fixed" rules version where we can dictate hosts and get it in Saudi in December.

Give me a bit to verify each version in the new system and they'll be ready to go

Could you make a 6 team version, please? The participating teams are the 6 winners of the 6 Champions Leagues (UEFA, CONMBEBOL,, CONCACAF, AFC, CAF, OFC).

The tournament will be hosted by a nation chosen from a list of 5/6 nations (for example, New Zealand, Canada, UAE, USA and Australia).

First Phase:

2 groups, 3 teams --> teams at 1st place go to 1st/2nd place, teams at 2nd place go to the 3rd/4th place. It could cool also 5th/6th place but it's not necessary for me :lol:

It could be done that the 3 finals can be played on the same day: for example, 5th/6th place at 15:00, 3rd/4th place at 18:00 and 1st/2nd place at 21:00 :)

I could do 6 teams with a playoff between host and OFC winner. Then two 3-team groups and straight to final/third place/5th place (same day is fine). Anything longer is just too long an unwieldy. But I can teach you how to make it even bigger.

Going to go through this weekend and redo the files with the new patch, Feb 2023 will stay "default" and then my custom version will pick up 

Once I get the 7 and 8-team versions working with the new DB I'll take other requests. Just keep in mind the fixture calendar, if you're playing in Spain or England your team simply can't handle 5 to 6 extra games each season without ending up with a brutal schedule in the last few months (games every 2 days for weeks on end).

Putting it in June like they have in 2025 seems to cause weird issues with player fitness, so putting it in European preseason (August) might be a future project. But December is good for competitive games and lets countries like Brazil, Japan and USA take priority with scheduling for once (close-out to their season)

Updating these today. You used to be able to piggyback off the hidden CWC squad rules in the default DB (was 30-man squad, now 23), but now I can't find them after ages trying different fixture rules, they might have put an end date between 2022/3 and 2025.

Instead it asks you for a 30-man squad a week before the cup in December 2023, but doesn't seem to actually hold you to it. Meh, I doubt the AI managers will use more than 30 players, so just hold yourself to it :herman:

4 minutos atrás, themodelcitizen disse:

What bug are you talking about? This keeps the same format going every year from December 2023. There is no June 2025 version in my file, it's cancelled here

in the new patch don't exist CWC in 2023, the new format with several clubs appears and it should probably be in 2025

1 hora atrás, themodelcitizen disse:

Right, the new patch only adds February 2023. This adds December 2023 (7 teams or 8 teams), December 2024, December 2025 etc all following the same format. This cancels the 24- or 32-team version in June 2025

not on my save, 2023 still without cwc :(