Let's talk about pitches in the ME

Are pitches, and the nature of them, an active variable in the game?

What I mean is, does playing on a synthetic pitch affect ball physics etc as it would IRL? Can playing on a cut up or bobbly pitch have an affect too? I also don't notice any difference in any weather conditions.

I ask that last one tentatively because all the pitches seem to look pretty pristine in the current game and even when I'm playing in a country with poor surfaces or in non-league etc, all the pitches seem perfect.

Also, why to synthetic pitches now have patterns on them unlike before when they more realistically were just one shade of green like they are IRL? Can't work that out and it's hard to know when you're playing on 3G unless you manually check what the surface is (or if you have prior knowledge).

Then again, if the surface makes no difference to anything (whether visually or actual gameplay) then I guess it doesn't matter.

I'd rather SI spend more time on things like this than faffing around with what we can see outside the ground that is all a complete waste of time and resources IMO.

Edited by Lord Duffucus

I can't answer your question, sadly.

I can say, though, that you can play on a sand pitch, which is freaking awesome.  I'm looking forward for the next version of the Around The World Megapack so I can go back to Kiribati and enjoy my sand football again.

4 hours ago, Lord Duffucus said:

Can playing on a cut up or bobbly pitch have an affect too?

Idk if this is anecdotal, but it certainly felt like lower league players got injured more on bad and muddy playing surfaces. I do know too that weather impacts tactics, so it would only follow that pitch condition counts for something. Not sure about the synthetic turfs, hopefully someone else can chime in. 

14 hours ago, bielsadidnothingwrong said:

Idk if this is anecdotal, but it certainly felt like lower league players got injured more on bad and muddy playing surfaces. I do know too that weather impacts tactics, so it would only follow that pitch condition counts for something. Not sure about the synthetic turfs, hopefully someone else can chime in. 

Yeah it's hard to tell, particularly when the pitches aren't obviously bad or muddy. I honestly think some time spent by SI on developing a variable like this more would be worthwhile - and as I say, certainly of more value to the game than buildings outside and burger vans with benches etc. Having a clear difference between, say, Wembley and your average National League pitch etc would be helpful. Pitch condition is in the database/editor etc but isn't obviously translated in game as far as I can see.

I could have sworn wind played a part before in previous versions too - not sure if it does in this one. I mean in terms of ball physics, being held up in wind etc.

As for the pitch patterns on 3G, again it's a visual thing as much as anything but added something to the immersion before. They currently look exactly the same as normal pitches.

3 hours ago, Lord Duffucus said:

Yeah it's hard to tell, particularly when the pitches aren't obviously bad or muddy. I honestly think some time spent by SI on developing a variable like this more would be worthwhile - and as I say, certainly of more value to the game than buildings outside and burger vans with benches etc. Having a clear difference between, say, Wembley and your average National League pitch etc would be helpful. Pitch condition is in the database/editor etc but isn't obviously translated in game as far as I can see.

I could have sworn wind played a part before in previous versions too - not sure if it does in this one. I mean in terms of ball physics, being held up in wind etc.

As for the pitch patterns on 3G, again it's a visual thing as much as anything but added something to the immersion before. They currently look exactly the same as normal pitches.

It use to be in the game until FM18 . Fond memories of muddy pitches in FM17

Edited by alian62

1 hour ago, Lord Duffucus said:

Which begs the question as to why it's not anymore I suppose. I love the game and always will but it does baffle me where the priorities sometimes appear to lie in terms of realism.

A change of graphic designers 

1 hour ago, alian62 said:

A change of graphic designers 

I'm pretty sure the designers don't tell SI what they are doing...more the other way around.  So it's a case of yet more stuff being 'removed' from the game...

Now that's a question to ask why...

34 minutes ago, Maviarab said:

I'm pretty sure the designers don't tell SI what they are doing...more the other way around.  So it's a case of yet more stuff being 'removed' from the game...

Now that's a question to ask why...

It was either outsourced or something like that .

9 minutes ago, alian62 said:

It was either outsourced or something like that .

Doesn't matter whether was outscourced or not, that isn't the reason.  Whoever is doing it, has been told to not do certain things or remove things that once used to exist.  That isn't a graphics designer choice, that's an SI choice.  They only doing what they are told to do.

Edited by Maviarab

I'd genuinely appreciate some feedback on this stuff from SI as I'm curious about it all, not in too much of a critical way, just in terms of other less important things being prioritised over something that helps not only with realism but also so often has a big impact on a game, whether it's the quality of a pitch or what it's made of/looks like etc!