Player Profile Popup Not Showing Up in a Specific Type of Inbox Message

Ayal

First off, the skin I'm editing isn't my original work, it's the Zealand skin for FM23 made by FMEnhanced (who has seemingly deleted all of their social media accounts so, no, I can't ask them to help me fix it). I liked the look of the original version (v1.0) of the skin but wanted to add a lot of the functionality that they added in their only update to the skin (v1.1). Most of it works, but the only thing I've found that doesn't is the player popup on this specific inbox item relating to players on one of the shortlists nearing the end of their contract. I assume this happened because FMEnhanced changed how the player popups look and work which means in me trying to carry over the look while changing the functionality, something broke. This is what it looks like:popup.thumb.gif.eff999f990fe0af9ae62ac54beefae96.gif

You can see I mouse over 2 players in with bugged player popup i icon but in the next inbox message I mouse over the same icon next to a player that has been bid on and it does work. All I want is for the popup to show, and if possible, have it look the same as the one in the 2nd inbox message. I think the problem lies within 1 of the 3 attached files (popup information panel.xml,player overview panel.xml,player overview popup panel.xml), but I'm really not certain how to fix it. I've tried removing and re-adding specific bits and it usually just breaks it in some way where I can't decipher how to fix it without reintroducing the original issue.

It is possible that an entirely different file than the 3 I've attached is what is breaking it, so if you want to look into it further and help me fix this rather annoying bug, here's a download link to the full thing and you can use the resource archiver to extract any files you want to look at: https://www.mediafire.com/file/ll0puhj28dd0mxa/Remix_Test.fmf

If you want to download the original FME - Zealand skin (v1.0 and/or v1.1) to compare to my cut together version, you can find them here: https://zealand.gg/fm23skinv1 & https://zealand.gg/fmskin respectively

EDIT: I've just noticed that this doesn't happen on the notification of players being removed from shortlist, so I think it might have something to do with a button that I didn't capture in the GIF that could be the cause: image.thumb.png.40e037d006743f4fc37c1b6f4709de95.png

Edited by Ayal
More information to narrow down cause of issue

12 minutes ago, Olas Nick said:

I think this is a situation where it is easier to do from scratch than to find a problem

I'm not a skin maker, I just have a passable enough interest to attempt to merge two versions of a skin I like together. I figured there might be someone here who could help me solve this one issue as it seemed to be specific enough for it be possible to track down and fix.

37 minutes ago, keysi said:

Did you try to hover the "i" icon while using the default skin? I'm sure I saw it in the past and it was the same in the default skin too within some certain screens/mailbox items. 

I did, and the pop works on the default FM23 skin, works on v1.0 of the FME - Zealand skin, works on v1.1 of the FME - Zealand skin. They all show the same base game player profile popup when I hover the "i" icon; all of them in that exact same inbox message. But when I import the "popup information panel.xml" and "player overview popup panel.xml" from v1.1 into v1.0, it breaks and nothing shows up at all, not even a crash or an error.

When I then remove the "player overview popup panel.xml" but keep the "popup information panel.xml", all the popups now change to look like this:

image.thumb.png.8284e05ebdafd3afabbad4470f5c2d1a.png

I tried looking where to edit this popup profile and I couldn't find which file it's in. From this point it essentially has all the bits I want except the player's footed-ness below the height and weight and the obvious player profile card with their picture, name, age, nationality, etc.

I think that's now the final step I need to do but if you find something else that will fix this, I'm more than happy to learn. I couldn't find enough information about this type of problem from my searching skills, but that might be because I don't know the usual terminology used in this situation.

EDIT: I did also try and add a "player personal details popup panel.xml" I found online since I couldn't figure out how to extract it from the game but that did nothing and the popup remained the same as in this screenshot with or without it.

Edited by Ayal

1 hour ago, keysi said:

Did you try to hover the "i" icon while using the default skin?

this is a bug in the implementation of popups in the Zeland and FME skins. to put it briefly, it manifests itself in 2-3 panels in the inbox, in other places everything works normally. and if you remove the club logo, everything works fine in these 2-3 panels as well. for me it remained a mystery and I simply reworked the files responsible for the popup a little differently.

4 minutes ago, Olas Nick said:

this is a bug in the implementation of popups in the Zeland and FME skins. to put it briefly, it manifests itself in 2-3 panels in the inbox, in other places everything works normally. and if you remove the club logo, everything works fine in these 2-3 panels as well. for me it remained a mystery and I simply reworked the files responsible for the popup a little differently.

Would you mind sharing what you did? I'm willing to implement other fixes, I just want it to look similar if not the same

I messed with a bunch of files a lot more over the last few days and I've finally fixed the issue.

In the end, the issue was being caused by the weird formatting of the "player overview popup panel.xml" that was in v1.1 of the original skin. I tried importing the same file from other skins but this didn't get the end result I wanted (mostly broke it tbh) so I decided to see if I could fit the weirdly formatted .xml file into the base game's version of the file instead.

I did this by using the Resource Archiver to extract all the panels from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2023\data\game\panels.fmf" into a folder, copying over "panels\player\player overview popup panel.xml" and inserting the bits from the bugged .xml file into this extracted one. I deleted a bunch of lines as they were unnecessary, replaced the ones I wanted with the parts I knew did the same thing on original skin and it just worked.

Looking at the actual .xml file, the now fixed version of this .xml file looks very similar to the version that was causing that bugged view. There's probably some more specific reasoning as to why this worked, but as far as I can tell, it calls the same files and "embeds" them in a similar way so I'm not entirely why it works, but it does.

I've attached the fixed file, in theory it can just replace the existing one for the FME - Zealand skin but I haven't tested it to see if it changes anything if I do that.

player overview popup panel.xml