Silly Loan demands

So I am managing Grimsby Town in League Two, and need to sign an up and coming young Keeper as backup to my first choice keeper.  I have found a decent 18 year old and asked if I could take him on loan, however his club keeps demanding that his role, while on loan should be First Choice keeper!  Surely this cannot be right, and needs looking at.

This doesn't sound very wrong at all, I generally only loan players out to be first choice and playing regular football. Otherwise they are at a club with worse facilities and not developing. IRL clubs don't like to loan players to be backups.

why would you loan out a player to a worse team with worse facilities form him not to play? If he's not gonna play, you might as well keep him training in your own club where you can monitor it.

This is one of the rare times AI isnt borderline Psycho with his transfer demands

Just sign an old goalkeeper on a one year deal with low wage and high appearance fee. I would not waste a loan slot on a backup goalie.

So you think it would be fine to drop an 18 year old keeper into a League Two side? I have to disagree, I would hazard a guess that no League Two  side this season, IRL, has played an 18 year old in goal, except in the event of an emergency or in the Carabo Cup.

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Internomad:

So you think it would be fine to drop an 18 year old keeper into a League Two side?

James Trafford was a first choice gk even in league 1 in 21/22 + now in 22/23 season aged 18/19. There is nothing silly at all with the loan demands.

Source:

https://www.transfermarkt.ch/james-trafford/profil/spieler/566799

6 hours ago, Internomad said:

So I am managing Grimsby Town in League Two, and need to sign an up and coming young Keeper as backup to my first choice keeper.  I have found a decent 18 year old and asked if I could take him on loan, however his club keeps demanding that his role, while on loan should be First Choice keeper!  Surely this cannot be right, and needs looking at.

Why would they loan him out if not for first team action? Surely a higher tier club has better facilities and would rather have him train at their club if that's all you are offering?

2 hours ago, Internomad said:

So you think it would be fine to drop an 18 year old keeper into a League Two side? I have to disagree, I would hazard a guess that no League Two  side this season, IRL, has played an 18 year old in goal, except in the event of an emergency or in the Carabo Cup.

Its not league 2, but chelmsford (VNS) have eddie beach (19) in goal, on loan from chelsea this season.

But unlike in your example, he is actually playing. Not the age is the issue here, its the playing time you're offering. When young players are loaned out, its to get playing time in 90% of the case.

Don't forget that remaining in the big club doesn't mean that he's not going to play. He will, of course. There are U-18 games, U-23 games, reserves league etc. 

Yes, it's not competitive football in a sense that there's not too much on stake, but he plays for the win nevertheless and his performances in those games should reflect his development and work in training sessions.

Yes, competitive football is important, but the lower you go in league tier level (and/or countries) it could mean that the actual level of football drops.

I'm not sure about League Two in comparision to Premier League, but for example I'm quite sure that if we have a 18 years old talented keeper in Premier League he wouldn't want to go to a club in Estonian top division even if it would give him a chance to fight for the nation's title. There's just too big of a gap in level of football and for his development it's probably better to play for U-23/reserves league.

• 3 weeks later...

The whole purpose of a loan deal is for the player to play.

If you don't plan on putting the kid in the sticks, then there is no incentive for the parent club to loan him to you, because there will be another squad that will.