Partnerships

What exactly do player partnerships help? I have a fullback and a winger who have a green (excellent) partnership who regularly under perform, and a central defensive orange (average) partnership who generally do quite well.

Is it just role familiarity? Is there some kind of teamwork boost? Dynamics?

Why do my fullback & winger tend to perform poorly together but actually better with different partners ratings wise?

It's the way you've set up your wingbacks and wingers. The player role plays an important part in this case. 

Say, if you play a wingback(support) with a Winger(support/attack), they will come in each other's way and disrupt the fluidity of the play. Pair a winback with an inverted winger or an inside forward, and your winger will cut inside and make space for wingbacks to make overlapping run. 

Seems like your wingback and winger have great partnership. So tweaking the player roles should do the trick for you. 

On 05/06/2023 at 16:02, ahnaf chowdhury said:

It's the way you've set up your wingbacks and wingers. The player role plays an important part in this case. 

Say, if you play a wingback(support) with a Winger(support/attack), they will come in each other's way and disrupt the fluidity of the play. Pair a winback with an inverted winger or an inside forward, and your winger will cut inside and make space for wingbacks to make overlapping run. 

Seems like your wingback and winger have great partnership. So tweaking the player roles should do the trick for you. 

Thanks for the response, but that isn't the problem. I'm playing with an inverted winger/FBA on one side and an Inside Forward/FBS on the other.  My issue is that my green partnership perform worse than players in the same position & roles who have no partnership lines at all.

On 03/06/2023 at 11:58, Junkhead said:

What exactly do player partnerships help? I have a fullback and a winger who have a green (excellent) partnership who regularly under perform, and a central defensive orange (average) partnership who generally do quite well.

Is it just role familiarity? Is there some kind of teamwork boost? Dynamics?

Why do my fullback & winger tend to perform poorly together but actually better with different partners ratings wise?

I'm writing this with big asterisks since I cannot say this for sure, but only refer to what I think is correct.

As far as I know the green lines only indicate that the player play well together in the selected roles. And from that I would assume it would refer to average ratings and multiple matches. For my own experience I've seen that when players have high average ratings they often form green lines, when I have players do badly, then I often get red lines.

If you have the opposite experience I would think about reporting it as possible bug in the bug tracker, at the very least SI can explain what happened.

Just now, Junkhead said:

Thanks, @XaW - is it still appropriate to post in the bug forum even though this is FM22?  Any issues may have been sorted for FM23, but I haven't played it.

Well, I've seen it work well in FM23, and I can't remember if I found it strange in FM22, so I'm not sure really. I imagine it could have been solved, but since I can't say I remember this being an issue in FM22, I have no way of knowing, sorry.

On 07/06/2023 at 12:54, Junkhead said:

Thanks for the response, but that isn't the problem. I'm playing with an inverted winger/FBA on one side and an Inside Forward/FBS on the other.  My issue is that my green partnership perform worse than players in the same position & roles who have no partnership lines at all.

Then I guess it has to do with the attributes of those individual players. It especially comes down to their speed and dribbling as they are playing in wide areas. Or maybe the players have particular traits that usually don't go along with the roles you're trying them to adopt. 

You can also try changing the attacking width to see if they play any better. 

23 hours ago, ahnaf chowdhury said:

Then I guess it has to do with the attributes of those individual players. It especially comes down to their speed and dribbling as they are playing in wide areas. Or maybe the players have particular traits that usually don't go along with the roles you're trying them to adopt. 

You can also try changing the attacking width to see if they play any better. 

Thanks - and all of what you say could explain why they are playing poorly. But my actual question is, given that they are playing poorly and have never played well together - why do they have green lines? And why do my far better performing duo have orange lines?

To clarify - I'm not asking for help to get them performing - I understand that I can take action to improve that or replace them. It's what the logic is behind partnership lines that I am questioning