(Suggestion) Expanding Available Leagues at Game Startup

seabas3

Hey All,

Just an idea to revisit the topic of available leagues at the base game, I know there's the massive list pinned to the top but just thought I'd post somewhere else. After the latest news release from Miles it looks like Women's football is going to be released in FM25 which is cool. I figured I'd touch on those leagues another time. 

As for the main game I thought there'd be a few other leagues to cover and research first... especially as with recent events with money in the Middle East, Confederation revamps and competitions (CONCACAF) amongst other things means that more focus should be given in my opinion outside of UEFA. 

I also understand that none of this is easy, between research and development, logistics and legalities it is very difficult to continuously update and add leagues. However, with the landscape of football as it stands, I feel for FM to grow even more and try new adventures (especially outside Europe), it's important to expand the base games available.

Complete CONMEBOL

To me this is an obvious one, but CONMEBOL should be completed at minimum. Having six of the ten confederations is a good start, but Venezuela, Paraguay, Ecuador and Bolivia should be added in my opinion. I would also consider the step afterwards to add the additional tiers to each system if possible.

Expand in Africa

Look, the fact that only South Africa is a playable association is a bit silly considering the popularity of the sport within Africa and the powerhouse clubs which also reign in CAF. Egypt, Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia should at minimum all be in the base game. 

Expanding in Africa would be tricky, but there are plenty of decent clubs in other leagues which could possibly be explored: DR. Congo, Tanzania, Nigeria, Cameroon, Ivory Coast and so on are all good ideas to suggest.

Middle East is a Must

I know most recent events have shed the spot light on Saudi Arabia but them and Iran are two nations who at a minimum should be in the base game. Other nations such as Qatar and UAE could also be added in as both nations have flaunted their wealth in football. 

Japan, Japan, Japan

Japan is a must. I don't really think I need to explain any more. 

Representing Central America

CONCACAF'S revamped competition structure means that more clubs are now in the spotlight. To be fair, Central America has always been a joyful hotbed of football and it stands to reason that at least Costa Rica should be added into the base game. While Honduras, Guatemala and Panama are all really good leagues, Costa Rica is historically CONCACAF's 3rd best Association and has an excellent league.

Completing the Confederation Family

New Zealand, the giants of OFC. While it would be quite fun to have many of OFC's small nations within the game it's simply not reasonable. But, with an expanded FIFA World Cup awarding a minimum of one slot, and arguably the greatest semi-professional club in the world with Auckland City FC... it's not too crazy to suggest putting New Zealand in the base game. Especially with the interesting league system being a neat idea for a game save.

Summary

- North African giants are a must: Egypt, Tunisia, Morocco and Algeria.

- Saudi Arabia and Iran are no brainers.

- Japan!

- Costa Rica to represent Central America.

- New Zealand to represent OFC.

- Complete CONMEBOL: Bolivia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Venezuela.

Short and sweet little blurb on several leagues which I think SI should look to add to the base game. 

Sports interactive will only consider adding new leagues if they massively increase their sales. Africa, Costa Rica, Bolivia, Venezuela will not give a very big increase in their sales, Saudi Arabia and Iran are likely the same. Japan is out of the question due to the license belonging to Konami who makes Pro Evolution Soccer (Now eFootball) and will likely be so for the next 10 years.

Iran may be an issue with the game's sale in the US due to the US sanctioning Iran's government which owns multiple teams in the league. If SI paid Iran's league and its teams for their being in the game (which isn't inconceivable, if unlikely), the US government would likely have a major issue with it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...