Why do my teams get so many yellows? Anyone else find this?

My teams get so many yellow cards that I regularly top yellow card counts.

I'm not even asking my players to tackle hard and it's not just my BMW(De) that is getting yellows, as has often been the case with BWMs.

It's all round.

I play a possession based 4-2-3-1. I ask my assistant to help with opposition instructions but change most of the tackle hard instructions to tackle normal. For some reason the AI likes hard tackling in opposition instructions, but not against my team, it seems.

image.png.b2ea3e5567235e29ad5184db0449114b.png

image.png.be8c502027d931697ad68d965b67f868.png

I thought it might be down to aggression. I do have a lot of players over 10 aggression.

image.png.cbfa0561b2d8aae33c4d90d5e1deec40.png

It's not like I'm deliberately asking my players to go out and be aggressive in the tackle. If I was I wonder how bad my yellow and red count would be.

Does anyone else find this in FM?

Can anyone pinpoint what I'm not seeing with regards to why my yellow count is high?

I'm happy with my tactics and have a good record with it. There's probably issues with it but I like to play with my own tactical naivety. Guidance about anything other than why my players like to tackle aggressively may or may not be followed...but thanks.

The "stay on feet" instruction might help to reduce your yellow card count, although it may also reduce your interception count. You can give individual players who are prone to yellow cards an "ease off tackles" instruction to reduce their likelihood of a caution. I also look at removing the "dives into tackles" character trait through extra coaching sessions for the player as I prefer my players to stay upright where possible. Some players will just get high numbers of yellow cards pretty much whatever you do (e.g. ball-winning midfielders). If they are crucial to your team then you have to grin and bear it, if they are not then transfer them out when you get the chance. 

Counterpressing, high loe and defensive line, as well as more often trigger press as well as an attacking mentality. All those combined will mean that if one of your players make an error you are open to a counter attack against, and to stop that, your players are much more likely to commit fouls to stop it.

Thanks @stockwellpeteand @XaW, given me lots to contemplate. I think that being caught out of possession is a likely factor that makes some sense. My side do have a habit of losing concentration.

I play on comprehensive highlights but the game doesn't show most yellows as highlights this year. Love to jump up to full match but that's a big time commitment.

Something that FM needs to get back to doing. I'm sure we saw all yellows on comprehensive last year.

Would be nice if there were more advanced options telling the game to include certain things in highlights, or skip them to speed up matches. Might check to see if this has been suggested.

10 minutes ago, anagain said:

Thanks @stockwellpeteand @XaW, given me lots to contemplate. I think that being caught out of possession is a likely factor that makes some sense. My side do have a habit of losing concentration.

I play on comprehensive highlights but the game doesn't show most yellows as highlights this year. Love to jump up to full match but that's a big time commitment.

Something that FM needs to get back to doing. I'm sure we saw all yellows on comprehensive last year.

Would be nice if there were more advanced options telling the game to include certain things in highlights, or skip them to speed up matches. Might check to see if this has been suggested.

My suggestions are guesses, so mind that. It could be anything else for all I know, but it was my first though when I saw your tactic, it's pretty aggressive overall, so it made sense to me. You can check a few matches and look at the yellow card highlights to see though, perhaps it will give something?

I do like your suggestion, and if it hasn't been suggested before, please do!