"Negatively impacted by the less savoury elements . . .

Depending on context. If it's about a players determination dropping, for example, it means that the squad average (weighted on the tier of squad hierarchy) is lower than this player has, and thus has impacted him negatively. It can also be professionalism, ambition, sportmanship, etc. It means the squad personality is impacting the player.

As for what you can do, is get rid of the negative influences or bring in good influences. The higher up in the squad hierarchy they are, the more impact they will have in this regard. So getting rid of team leaders with negative influences and bringing in model professionals, model citizens, etc will help.

16 minutes ago, stockwellpete said:

Oh right. I thought my lot had been shoplifting again! lol

Haha, no this refers to their personalities. I don't know if you've looked into it yet, but there are some hidden attributes that impact how players react and handle themselves both in match and outside. It's somewhat reflected in the personality description, but it goes a bit deeper than that. It impact how well they train (and thus how likely they are to be as good as their potential is), how they react when losing in a match, how they react to praise and criticism, and many other parts. Ideally, you'd like a "Model Citizen" as that is the objectively best one, but generally having coach/scout reports talking about high professionalism is always positive. Ambition is also good, but it can also mean they are more likely to push for a move to a better club, so it can be a dual-edged sword. Anyway, there are loads of better descriptions and articles about it around, but if you are looking to have players who train well and react well in tough spots, then go for Professional, Determined, and Ambitious players, ideally all 3 in the same player!