4th sacking

just had my 4th sacking in as many seasons in film

had too many players complaining they weren't getting a game.

strikers with goodcattrubutes for that level who couldn't score

players doing opposite of what I asked

team meetings failing to work, no matter what I said it had a negative effect.

haven't a clue what to do next and probably need a break.

do I apply for jobs or wait to be offered one?

It happens mate, just keep your chin up and apply for jobs.

Sometimes it takes a few sackings to get into what works and what doesn't.

My advice is to have a little break maybe scribble down some tactics, don't go looking for tips from others.  Just keep it simple and it will feel great when you finally turn a corner.

If you go looking for tactical advice and then achieve good results it will feel hollow.

This is just my opinion though.

yeh, I agree I wouldn't want someone else's solution.

although I do think I'm trying too many signings too quickly and need to get away from attacking wing play.

could I be listening to assistant too much?

do others ignore his advice and just use him for training?

I'll secure a position and have a short break 

Edited by ironmiller

1 hour ago, ironmiller said:

although I do think I'm trying too many signings too quickly and need to get away from attacking wing play.

It depends on the players you already have at your disposal, but too many transfers in one window does tend to wreck team cohesion so my own advice would be just to concentrate on the key areas where you need to improve.

Also, don't forget to look into training and use training sessions which can help with cohesion and tactical familiarity, such as the team bonding sessions and the match practice/match tactics sessions.

Also, use a longer highlight type to see more of the game so you can see how the tactic is working to a greater degree.  See if the players are behaving as you want them to and if not look at alternative roles for that position.

And about the point of listening to the AssMan, it really depends on his own attributes.  Look at what the game is telling you he's good at, and if his advice is on something where he has low attributes, take the advice with a big old grain of salt.

Edited by kevhamster

3 hours ago, ironmiller said:

The staff in FM should be thought of as terrorists. That seems to be their role in the game, unless it's for things you can verify yourself, like them recommending a certain player takes corners or free kicks etc.

One thing I find is that the more you mess with, the less impact anything has and the harder it is to notice the difference. I'm terrible at tactics and that side of the game, but have come up with three tactics that seem to work well against the main formations you face in FM and I change between those and vary the mentality based on the opposition or what's happening in game. I don't mess with opposition instructions too much unless there is something glarring like a CAM with a bravery of 2 (Tackle hard) or a central midfielder with a composure of 5 (Always press).

If you're in the lower leagues abuse the loan systems and free transfers to get the best players available and tactically stick to one of the core formations. 4-2-3-1 has been a big thing on FM and in real life for years, because it covers the basics of FM very well. If you split the pitch into 4 (Left wing, right wing, left centre, right centre) etc you should have at least two players in each. Make sure your players don't conflict (E.g wingers on attack with wing backs on attack will be trying to be in the same spot and leave you open at the back etc).

One of my most memorable careers in fm (can't remember what version) was similar.

Started unemployed with the lowest reputation with lowest leagues all over europe enabled.  Got job, got sacked, got job...sacked, it was a nice career but I achieved absolutely nothing

Edited by Kickballz

On 26/09/2023 at 09:39, ironmiller said:

just had my 4th sacking in as many seasons in film

had too many players complaining they weren't getting a game.

strikers with goodcattrubutes for that level who couldn't score

players doing opposite of what I asked

team meetings failing to work, no matter what I said it had a negative effect.

haven't a clue what to do next and probably need a break.

do I apply for jobs or wait to be offered one?

What team instructions are you using? Only use instructions that the players have attributes enough to handle. Try the custom tactics or turn every instructions off. Alot of goals conceded vs equal opponents can come from using instructions that the players can't handle.

Captains and team leaders are also more important that I thought. If you cant play captains and team leaders with high leadership it's often harder to win.