Tactical recreation : 'Ringhio' Gattuso's at Olympique de Marseille

To replace Marcelino, OM have chosen a coach with a strong character and proven experience, who knows what he is getting into.

Gattuso_training_picture.jpg.cc30fd398319919a9453e3791236aa65.jpg

THE STYLE OF PLAY
Not just Italian

To get an idea of what Gattuso's style of football is like, you have to look beyond the familiar clichés about Italian coaches being so obsessed with defence that they forget everything else. Perhaps the best thing to do is to listen to Luis Enrique, a connoisseur. Asked about his favourite La Liga team during one of the memorable Twitch sessions that occupied his stay in Doha during the last World Cup, the former Spain coach had no hesitation: "I love watching Gattuso's Valencia. He comes from Italian football and you might think he's a defensive coach, but it's quite the opposite. He's changed the mentality of his players. I love watching this team because they have the mechanisms to play with the ball and attack from the back. They're able to find space with ease, and I also like Gattuso's energy, a competitive animal."

Over the course of a coaching career that began at the age of 35 years, when a neuromuscular disease in his eye forced him to hang up his boots in 2013, the former Milan man has evolved. Initially focused on cover and balance, like all good Italians, he now favours building from the back and his team's ability to move the ball around, with the goalkeeper involved in footwork. He prefers a 4-3-3 formation, and likes his teams to draw their opponents to one side so that they can then turn the game around and take advantage of the numerical superiority.

His experience as coach of clubs in Europe's Big 5.
Data from all competitions.

Data_as_coach.png.dc71f5458a11c5efb8df055a895ea249.png

THE DAILY ROUND
Hard work and character

No one has forgotten 'Ringhio' Gattuso, the hard-working, grunting midfielder of Milan in the 2000s, who did not have the finest feet or the gentlest disposition in the team. But now that he has become a coach, the 2006 world champion has grown tired, over the years, he has grown tired of constantly being compared to this image, which he feels is too simplistic. On a day-to-day basis, Gattuso is first and foremost a hard worker who spends his days at the training centre. training centre. "I understand that he's fed up with people still comparing him to the player he used to be, because he's a very hard worker. I understand that he's fed up with people still comparing him to the player he was because, as a coach, he puts so many other things into his work," says Italian manager Walter Sabatini, who spotted Gattuso at Perugia in the mid-1990s and has remained close to him ever since. He has the temperament, of course, he is a courageous and sincere man, but above all he is very well prepared tactically. His Napoli, for example, have been capable of some spectacular matches, notably in the autumn of 2020, when they taught Atalanta Bergamo (4-1) and AS Roma (4-0) a lesson, but they have also experienced some real slumps, which is often the case with his teams, such as AC Milan and Valencia CF recently. A lack of turnover, not enough options when the opposition finds a way through, players running out of steam: the arguments put forward differ, but the fact remains that there are air gaps during the season that can hurt when it comes time to take stock, as when he missed out on Champions League qualification on the final day, with Napoli in 2020-2021, after a very good second half of the season. 

MANAGEMENT
Dialogues and outbursts

In the clubs where he has played, and in particular Milan, where he is probably best known, he has best known, he has left an image of a strong character strong character, but one that has settled down over time, less impetuous and more reasonable.
Like many of his team-mates at the time, Gattuso drew inspiration from Carlo Ancelotti, who knows how to engage in dialogue with everyone, at every level. "He talks to everyone, players, staff, directors, he's an open and very honest person," says an employee who knew him at Milan. Some have bitter memories of him, generally those who didn't play much, while others describe him as an "attentive and humane" coach who, once again, has evolved over time. Initially young and very close to his dressing room, he has gradually understood the importance of keeping a certain distance, but wants to remain involved in exchanges. His temperament is better controlled, but it's still there: "When he gets angry, he really gets angry," smiles a former colleague. Very demonstrative during matches, the Italian has an assertive personality, which can that can cause problems with his managers, over time. But it is also what allows him that allows him not to tremble when faced with complicated challenges, such as when he arrived at Napoli just after a player mutiny and Ancelotti's departure in December 2019. "At the time, the players lowered their eyes when they left the training centre to avoid not to meet the eyes of the fans, and the atmosphere the atmosphere was very heavy," recalls close to him. The latest news should not cause him to waver, and that's at least a start.

TACTICAL ON FM

Work in progress...

Your participation is essential to the success of this tactical recreation :)

Révélation

Source : L'Équipe, French daily sports newspaper of Thursday 28 September 2023.

Edited by Batigoal__

I did like to share with you some data from my analysis of Gattuso's matches.

Monaco vs. Olympique de Marseille (Ligue 1)

Olympique de Marseille vs. Brighton (UEFA Europa League)

Olympique de Marseille vs. Le Havre (Ligue 1)

Nice vs. Olympique de Marseille (Ligue 1)

Olympique de Marseille vs. Lille (Ligue 1)

AEK vs. Olympique de Marseille (UEFA Europa League)

Olympique de Marseille vs. Lens (Ligue 1)

Strasbourg vs. Olympique de Marseille (Ligue 1)

Olympique de Marseille vs. Ajax (UEFA Europa League)

Olympique de Marseille vs. Rennes (Ligue 1)

Olympique de Marseille vs. Lyon (Ligue 1)

Lorient vs. Olympique de Marseille (Ligue 1)

Brighton vs. Olympique de Marseille (UEFA Europa League)

Olympique de Marseille vs. Clermont (Ligue 1)

Montpellier vs. Olympique de Marseille (Ligue 1)

Olympique de Marseille vs. Strasbourg (Ligue 1)

Olympique de Marseille vs. Monaco (Ligue 1)

Lyon vs. Olympique de Marseille (Ligue 1)

Olympique de Marseille vs. Metz (Ligue 1)

I will edit this message and update it as far as possible for each new match. 

Edited by Batigoal__

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't abandoned the thread, nor have I forgotten about it - quite the contrary.
I was hoping for a little more interest and participation so that together we could try to define a tactic that is as close to reality as possible.
Since Gattuso's arrival, we've been offered two schemes: in attack, a 433 with the Veretout/Rongier/Kondogbia trio in midfield, and a 4231 with Harit in a creative role. In defence, a flat 442.

A few analyses from the web. 

Offensive organisation
Width : Width is important, as is the number of players projected into the area. 

vlcsnap-2023-11-13-16h22m51s444_.png.3b3c838da21dd8cbe3f117f20cfb3153.png

Construction : The construction starts from the goalkeeper, with a tendency to take the ball out to the left to exploit the space on the opposite side for Clauss, a profile that likes to attack the space left free (same picture above).

Depth : Space is attacked behind the defenders.

vlcsnap-2023-11-13-17h22m27s769_.png.3d10725750d18efa0537315870e20abe.png

Leaning point : In order not to slow down the transition and the projection of his team-mates, the attacker drops back, drawing a defender to his back and creating space for one of the off-centre players.
vlcsnap-2023-11-13-16h28m48s966_.png.52e7f061c9e1a28c5ca7401f4706a792.png

Defensive organisation

Opposing build-up phase : Make it difficult for the opposition to build up in the central area of the pitch, as the mobile team block (fairly compact, with players grouped together and close together) can quickly move the ball carrier to one side. The idea is to manage a large part of the pitch while being able to occupy as many corridors as possible (blocking passing lines).vlcsnap-2023-11-13-17h06m15s634_.png.7acf0b72b55c60edcce1d311254f6cfd.png

Defensive transition : Seek to lock the ball carrier to one side, while maintaining numerical superiority in the area where the opposition's transition takes place.vlcsnap-2023-11-13-16h32m53s493_.png.63697dac57335ab4e27917419703ecfe.png

Coordinated pressing : Collective pressing, with the whole team moving towards the ball carrier. The aim is to isolate the ball carrier on one side in order to make a mistake or clear in coordination with pressing on all potential receivers.
vlcsnap-2023-11-13-17h37m27s513_.png.af37f0016ff320efcbdb1f00a32e99f7.png

Don't be shy, come and add to the discussion :)

Edited by Batigoal__

My impression of him as a manager came from the Valencia Barça match last year, when he utilised Foulquier to allow the team to switch to a 5212 system defensively. He might be doing things ‘modern’ coaches all do, but he definitely tries Italian ways of achieving defensive solidity.

Thanks for your contribution @寸身辛木
At this stage of the season, Gattuso is proposing a flat 442 defensive organisation. 
It appears to be his preferred defensive system, used in particular during his time at Milan and Napoli. 
Didn't he go against the grain at Valencia ? That remains to be confirmed.

• 3 weeks later...

Against Lyon yesterday, Gattuso came up with a surprise 352.
Although it's not a system he's very fond of, the players felt they were playing in roles they like, simply in their best positions.
Without going into too much detail about the match, Aubameyang-Vitinha proved to be decisive partners.
Will this tactical move be repeated in future matches ?

• 2 weeks later...

The first half of the season is over.
In the last few games, Gattuso has not let go of the 352.
This winter mercato period and the choice of target positions will determine the tactical plan for the second half of the 2023-2024 season. 
Will they respect Gattuso's DNA and credo with his 433/4231 or the 352 'adopted by default' ?
It's not that, but I'd love to play this new FM opus :D

• 1 month later...

Gennaro Gattuso's analysis after Rennes vs. Olympique de Marseille in the French Cup gives an indication of one role, that of the left central midfielder in the 352 scheme.

Wasn't your team unbalanced in the second half ?

Citation

G.G.: "I didn't notice that. It's true that when Luis Henrique has to play as a mezzala (an axial midfielder who shifts to one side) when that's not really his position - he's a winger - there are young players too and new ones... I didn't see that imbalance."

Luis Henrique came on for Bilal Nadir. He replaced Jordan Veretout, who played as a left-sided central midfielder in the starting 11.
Veretout scored OM's only goal, from inside the opposition box. 
Mezzala has a role to play as left central midfielder in this 352.

For the record, after the Olympique de Marseille vs. Lille match, Gattuso said : 

Citation

Veretout wasn't in the starting 10, we've been playing him like that for a few games now. He was supposed to start the first attack when the opposition had the ball. He plays as Mezzala, as we say in Italy.

It's a good start for the tactical recreation of the 352, only 10 roles left :)

Edited by Batigoal__

• 3 weeks later...

A change of programme, or at least that's to be expected given the last few games.
Gattuso's press conference yesterday before the Europa League play-off match :

Citation

G.G.: "When I switched to three, I saw that the team needed more defensively, I didn't like the way they occupied the pitch, we were pierced too quickly. But I'm not a coach who likes a line of five and three midfielders, and who plays on the counter. I have to do what I feel and, of course, put the team in the best possible position. When I saw that the team was suffering before the first leg against Lyon, I switched to five at the back, but that's not my style of football. If you want that, you'll have to change coach."

The message got through. Forget 352.

Edited by Batigoal__

• XaW locked this topic