FM24 Early Access Official Feedback Thread

Would love to see for the release a little bit more tactical flexibility for the AI.

This is how an AI manager that has 2 pref formation on his profile lines up his team. He only starts his first formation, the second one is mostly ignored until last 15 minutes or so of the games.

Surely since both formations are quite common it would be logical that the AI would use a mix of both at startups depending on the opposition ?

I think i also raised this during FM 23 , when the AI managers improvements were advertised.

image.png.cd41d503c253e180167c3e48ab4651af.png

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love everything so far but the squad building is still showing issues for me. 12 PL games in and Rico Lewis is in Man City reserves with only 2 sub appearances, as is Doku with no league appearances at all. Liverpool have Gravenberch in the reserves, Chukwuemeka at Chelsea with 0 appearances. I kind of expected this to be working differently. It feels fine where the squads are smaller but it may be where there are a certain number of players the game is throwing younger players in the reserves and not using them.

1 hour ago, andu1 said:

Regarding this test, the fact that in some leagues like SPANISH LA LIGA 2 have a much higher gpg in FM than real life is because IRL in those league the teams are much more cautious than in FM.

Could be that the AI managers are set too use too attacking fromations for those leagues?

Who knows!

I found it very interesting. I was expecting each league to have a higher GPG in FM than IRL and it be down to something standard across all leagues simple ball physics/shooting etc, but it's interesting how it seems consistent in either being above or below dependent on league! 

I'm not sure how I feel about the set piece routines. I like that you can just train the routines but in game scenarios seems to have taken away any immediate involvement. Like when you sub players you want players of different height playing in different places. Now I feel I have no control (in game) at all. I was all for changing how set pieces work but I wasn't set on losing control. Am I missing something or am I on target here. I'm not saying I don't applaud the effort I'm saying it seems more out of my control and that I really don't have much if anything to do about it (once the game begins) accept before the game setting things up which Im not sure I find is an improvement or not. In a way I'd rather have my control back on the field during the game to be able to place the players where I want and certain player on top of that. I know winded, sorry.

2 minutes ago, YUCON said:

I'm not sure how I feel about the set piece routines. I like that you can just train the routines but in game scenarios seems to have taken away any immediate involvement. Like when you sub players you want players of different height playing in different places. Now I feel I have no control (in game) at all. I was all for changing how set pieces work but I wasn't set on losing control. Am I missing something or am I on target here. I'm not saying I don't applaud the effort I'm saying it seems more out of my control and that I really don't have much if anything to do about it (once the game begins) accept before the game setting things up which Im not sure I find is an improvement or not. In a way I'd rather have my control back on the field during the game to be able to place the players where I want and certain player on top of that. I know winded, sorry.

You can still control which player does what by manipulating the priority list and dragging strings around. 

• SI Staff
43 minutes ago, MiseConor said:

I’m enjoying a lot of the game but I’m finding the lack of tactical variation a bit annoying.

I get it. IFBs and IWBs are cool. Liberos are cool. But does every AI team need to use them? Seems like so many teams are going with 5 at the back too. If I come up against another 5-3-2 with a Libero and a CDM I’ll scream. 

Would love to see a bit more tactical variety with the opposition. Feels like the new roles are very in your face and everyone (opposition AI) is using them.

Also, I don’t know if there is more corners or if they’re just being shown more often on extended / key highlights. But it seems as though I spend half of every game watching corners. Again, seems like a ‘hey look at our new features’ shoved down my throat. I get it, we have better set piece routines. I don’t need to see 15 corners a game.

The AI don't use the Libero role unless it's set as a preferred role on the manager by a researcher. Last time I checked there were less than 4 managers in the entire DB with this, so I'd need to see evidence of what you're saying here in a bug report.

IFB and IWBs are more likely to be used by high level managers who like to play a possession style of football.

5 minutes ago, YUCON said:

You should have full control to do whatever you like. If you're making in-match changes then you'll just need to make sure you have responsibility for whichever aspect of set pieces you're trying to change before the match.

2 hours ago, Domoboy23 said:

Here we have some of the GPG analysis over a 3 year sim. Please note it's a small sample size, and for references columns 23/24, 22/23, 21/22 for real life data this is then respectively matched against season 1, 2 and 3 respectively on the save. As you can see, the GPG difference is quite high in some countries and other leagues very near or even less. I was going into this expecting ALL to be higher than average.

image.png.aed4a18083f492dce951e2eacda9c041.png

image.png.0b1e128b8aa95b895a6ce9224bc87ee4.png

I also did an incredibly tiny test with the QME.

image.png

All leagues were ran on full detail, apart from of course L1 for the QME test.

Do you have pass completion stats by any chance? Seem way to high in my league but haven't simmed the others in full detail.

3 hours ago, Oliver Roland said:

I can´t find button to punish player for poor performance. Does anybody know where to find it?

I was looking for this, it's not where it used to be. I wonder if it's been removed, can anyone from SI comment?

Clubs are still way too patient with managers, there are barely any sackings and managers are allowed to underperform for several seasons. I'm not even asking for managers to be sacked after 3 months like in real life, but e.g. Rangers are in midtable in the SPL halfway through the season and the manager's job isn't even insecure. 

Also seeing some rather unrealistic manager movements, De Zerbi leaving Brighton for Porto and Moyes leaving West Ham for the Austrian national team. 

I like the match engine, but I liked it during the beta last year as well and ended up being underwhelmed with it after the final patch. 

Not seeing a lot of the supposed improvements in AI squad building and management, but maybe it's too early in the game for me.

Pretty disappointed all in all, the game seems like barely an improvement over FM23, which was barely an improvement over FM22. I'd probably refund if I still could.

1 hour ago, bigmattb28 said:

Player unhappy he wants a new contract, agree to discuss. Asked DOF to do so, couoldn't agree so I step in. He wants 5 times more than what he's getting now, budget won't allow it so have to walk away. Players gets angry at not getting new deal, but there's no option for me to say he wants more than we can give.

Disappointing, as there was supposed to be a lot more contextual answers to interactions this year - 2000 new responses apparently! 

Spoiler alert - they are just as bonkers as always. 

2 hours ago, Domoboy23 said:

Here we have some of the GPG analysis over a 3 year sim. Please note it's a small sample size, and for references columns 23/24, 22/23, 21/22 for real life data this is then respectively matched against season 1, 2 and 3 respectively on the save. As you can see, the GPG difference is quite high in some countries and other leagues very near or even less. I was going into this expecting ALL to be higher than average.

image.png.aed4a18083f492dce951e2eacda9c041.png

image.png.0b1e128b8aa95b895a6ce9224bc87ee4.png

I also did an incredibly tiny test with the QME.

image.png

All leagues were ran on full detail, apart from of course L1 for the QME test.

So 0.14 goal per game too much...I really hope they don't try and fix this and ruin what is shaping up to be by far the most enjoyable FM in years.

1 minute ago, kiwityke1983 said:

So 0.14 goal per game too much...I really hope they don't try and fix this and ruin what is shaping up to be by far the most enjoyable FM in years.

I don't think they will, they will have done similar tests, and will trust that over any insane ramblings on here. 

Just now, Dagenham_Dave said:

I don't think they will, they will have done similar tests, and will trust that over any insane ramblings on here. 

I hope not the match engine is a thing of beauty this year.

Player interactions however...good lord somehow worse than ever.

I've now had the squad depth issue pop up from nowhere twice, I'm in January of my first season absolutely running away with the league best attack and defence and the entire squads on suicide watch because we lack depth at centre half!

You couldn't make it up because it would be too silly to do so.

33 minutes ago, YUCON said:

I commented earlier in this thread, I had 3 first half corners, all set up tbe near post and inswinging, Orban scored from all 3. 

1 hour ago, Quadfm said:

Why is there such a vast difference in the size of player database at the start of a new load between FM23 and FM24? When I add the same nations and leagues at the start of FM24 the database has risen from 56430 in FM23 to 92000 in FM24. Its killed my game speed!

Did you choose the real world game mode? 

Because it's to do with the players who are transferring in and out of playable leagues apparently.

Using 4-4-2, very attacking, play for set pieces in tactics, and training on set pieces once a week, and we're averaging 1 goal from a corner every game so far

image.png.cd1b4651ac97b5304689fbe130040ff5.png

Edited by bigmattb28

Quality of life improvement request:

Client chat

The need to use sliders should be removed whenever possible.

Please remove "vanishing few" as a phrase. Has anyone ever said that?

image.png.045290750329c43f08bfedf2ed38f119.png

To

image.png.e5293c0cbe7c5bc625bc9c14941be365.png

Please support this. Happy gaming :)

NB: Playing with imported FM23 save.

Edited by Mark.Alexander

6 hours ago, Thalo said:

image.thumb.png.f818072c0925c6f70bf8e7bc4ce96ade.pngI'm still not sure why the prematch tactics screen can't use the full screen.

2560x1440, 100% zoom. If I increase the zoom, the page fills more of the screen, so why can't it just fill the screen at 100% zoom?

Of all the terrible UI decisions SI has made in the last few years, this is the one that really grinds my gears (and removal of the timeline bar in matches -- never forget). The inability of these screens to scale properly is reported every year on the feedback threads, and I'd raised this issue in FM 21 & 23 myself, but clearly SI has no intention to fix this. So every year, you just have to extract the main skin and play around with the settings to enlarge the panel:

25 minutes ago, krkyseventwo said:

Sometimes less is more and I feel like people like to blame the game rather than themselves. 

This is fundamentally true, no doubt about it, however there are certain interactions this year that are way off. In particular, the squad congregating to moan about squad depth when you already have sufficient depth is something that simply cannot be blamed on the user. I agree generally surrounding individual player interactions, but I have seen a couple of nonsensical things this year, more so than in previous versions. 

What disappoints me about this, is this area of the game was supposed to be heavily improved, and indeed was one of the headline features. I have seen ZERO improvement in this aspect of the game, as of yet. 

24 minutes ago, bruntonpasty said:

A high number of managers are being sacked. Started unemployed and on holiday through September and by October 14 managers had been sacked already in England alone. A known bug?

Screenshot 2023-10-22 173053.png

14 were sacked IRL up to the 18th of October, so it's actually bang on from that.

Graham Alexander

Ben Garner

John Eustace

Xisco

Neil Harris

Mark Hughes

Neil Warnock

David Unsworth

Iain Dawes

Scott Brown

Dean Holden

Lopetegui

Wade Elliot

Mark Kennedy

Edited by Domoboy23

On 21/10/2023 at 15:30, craiigman said:

2D classic disappointing again, looks like they are playing in the void

Screenshot 2023-10-21 at 14.29.37.png

Wow, this one is the worst one yet, they managed to outdo themselves

I don't know if this works in FM 24 but you can put any image behind the pitch so it is not just one color.

In My Documents, create a folder called "textures", and put any image there but in DDS format. And name it match_background.dds 

You can take any JPG image you like and convert it to DSS ( it is important because if you use PNG or JPG the game will stutter ).

I've put this image of grass and stadium stands, it is still ugly but at least it is not the void

shfFVdE.thumb.jpeg.7923e51dc0591caed016a39577f748a0.jpeg

It looks like this in the game, FM 21
jQwHOoq.thumb.jpeg.8f75b7c30a68cd871454111ad135ff4c.jpeg

Edited by Marko1989

2 hours ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

Time to open the FM25 Beta speculation thread :ackter:

:stop:

Let's at least wait until threeweeks before the full release date.

Also, per SI it is the early acces thread from now on.

I have a few questions:

is there a way to change the colour of the attributes? also, previously, if you went to AssMan profile, reports, you could choose to see his assessment of the squad morale. you could also see this information during the pre-match?

is there a way to get more stats on the left side of the match screen?

Thanks!

Edited by MBarbaric

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

By the way, in regards to the new lighting, the below image was the marketing shot for this. Has ANYONE seen this type of lighting in game? Because every daytime game I have is the same. No, or very faint shadows, and absolutely no shadows of the stands on the pitch, with everything being a little hazy. 

image.png.c7120fa254393e943f8ebda3ef900aba.png

No. And my matches in daytime are exactly how you've described. 

I expected lighting to be how it was in FM13 for example. Funny how a decade ago we had better lighting.

Anyone got any screenshots of the above lighting in their games?

Just now, MBarbaric said:

is there a way to change the colour of the attributes?

yes

Just now, MBarbaric said:

is there a way to get more stats on the left side of the match screen?

only with custom skins

this is how you change the colour of the attributes

fm_YwSRUToiVo.thumb.gif.c9dbb1ce6317cc2d9d71901eee4cd50b.gif

First off I do want to say that the game this year is really pretty great as of first impressions: the performance relative to last year is miles better, for one. I don't use IFBs, but I feel like IWBs play way, way better than last year with the positional play in the match engine, and that positional play is super noticeable and makes the football feel much more natural. I also think the players animate so, so much better, it's far from perfect given the lack of skill moves obviously, but just the fact that the players have some lean to them and can look off-balance, and look far better when turning, it's really great. And shots and headers actually bouncing off the ground is excellent as well. Something that's bothering me though, is with the improved ball physics seemingly resulting in more deflections, is it feels as though players are far too adept at reacting to those deflections and getting shots away from them. A ball can be deflected at a player seemingly moving very fast, from just a few feet away, and they'll take it on as a first time volley. Those are the goals and plays that I notice most frequently as feeling really unnatural, as even if deflections fall in a player's lap they can oftentimes be really hard to take on because they simply can't be anticipated. But overall, really enjoying it so far.

33 minutes ago, Marko1989 said:

Wow, this is one is the worst one yet, they managed to outdo themselves

I don't know if this works in FM 24 but you can put any image behind the pitch so it is not just one color.

In My Documents, create a folder called "textures", and put any image there but in DDS format. And name it match_background.dds 

You can take any JPG image you like and convert it to DSS ( it is important because if you use PNG or JPG the game will stutter ).

I've put this image of grass and stadium stands, it is still ugly but at least it is not the void

shfFVdE.thumb.jpeg.7923e51dc0591caed016a39577f748a0.jpeg

It looks like this in the game, FM 21
jQwHOoq.thumb.jpeg.8f75b7c30a68cd871454111ad135ff4c.jpeg

Ha I was actually going to ask if you could do something like this in the skinning section once the full game was released, good to know, will give it a go. Can't get over how that FM21 screenshot looks better though

40 minutes ago, Marko1989 said:

Wow, this is one is the worst one yet, they managed to outdo themselves

Tried it with the background you had in your post, but it doesn't seem to work, sadly. Should the textures folder be inside the graphics folder, or just on its own?

More use of scout report space.

From

scoutreport.thumb.png.e3cdb5483e054c09008a5ac2b8bf99fc.png

To

scoutreportupgrade.thumb.png.bffc0e3234ec05549c1aa902b1e6de0d.png

image.png.347624552e1385b1497b4c143c2f37d8.png

There is plenty of space to the right of this object. Auto-resize the object to remove the need for (2... 

Enlarge the positions grid and put it in a more visible location.

Get rid of the fixed horizontal line between pros and cons. Fill the space based on the number of entries in each category. This will scale with slider as it does now but no longer leave big empty gaps.

Add 'select position' or something to make the positions option more prominent.

Please support. Happy Gaming :)

NB: I am playing with an imported FM23 save.

Edited by Mark.Alexander

13 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Tried it with the background you had in your post, but it doesn't seem to work, sadly. Should the textures folder be inside the graphics folder, or just on its own?

Nope, the folder should not be in the graphics folder, it should be on its own ( in root My Documents > FM 2024 folder to say so, alongside skins and other folders )

Did you change the format to DDS? Because the image in my post is in PNG

I will upload the DDS file, try that, clear the cache and all that. But maybe it is impossible in this year's version

match_background.dds

Have to say I am in agreement with the too many goals concerns. In my Luton save, 16 games in and in the Premier League there has been a 7-1 result four times, an 8-1 result, plenty of 6's and 5's too. Not sure on the real life stats but the results seem very excessive, maybe could be an issue with player morale leading to many conceded after going behind? Haaland has 27 in 16, the absolute freak of nature. I am yet to play City, but if there was a way of playing 10-0-0 I would be.

Edited by KeegBCFC
Additional info