Crashing when laptop charging.

If my laptop is plugged in FM crashes when I’m playing a match. I’ve re installed it numerous times, I’ve started new saves, I’ve updated and changed drivers, tried new saves. 

I’m playing on the recommended settings, I’ve even tried lowering them. I’m not very good with tech these days. Only thing I’ve noticed is when I unplug my laptop the display changes but I think I’ve set it to use the same power when plugged in and not but still seems to change.

I’ve not tried other games, it’s not a ‘gaming laptop’ and I use it for Football Manager and other pretty basic stuff.

Anyone got anything else to try?

You can start by ensuring your computer meets the minimum specs to run the game.  Crashes during a match would suggest that the issue is with the graphics card and if this is below spec or is using an old driver, the game will not run.

Min specs:

System Requirements
  • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system.
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 or AMD Athlon 64 X2.
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM.
  • Graphics: Intel GMA X4500, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, AMD/ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 - requires 256MB VRAM and DirectX® 11.
  • DirectX: Version 11.

5 hours ago, FrazT said:

You can start by ensuring your computer meets the minimum specs to run the game.  Crashes during a match would suggest that the issue is with the graphics card and if this is below spec or is using an old driver, the game will not run.

I’ve got an ASUS Vivobook Pro, got 16GB of RAM, intel core i9, with a 3050 GeForce graphics card I believe. It worked absolutely fine for about 6 months of playing and all of a sudden it’s started doing it. Drivers are updated regularly as well.

If it’s not charging, I can get through games no problem which is the strange thing.

Edited by TWBO

1 hour ago, DeuceUK said:

Can I suggest that maybe your laptop is over heating when charging? 

Possibly, it doesn’t shut the whole laptop down though, just football manager? Also, how would I stop it overheating? The laptops not even a year old yet.

23 minutes ago, TWBO said:

Possibly, it doesn’t shut the whole laptop down though, just football manager? Also, how would I stop it overheating? The laptops not even a year old yet.

Only guesswork here, but could it be that when it's plugged in it goes into "performance mode" and that uses a GPU with issues, but when it's not plugged in it uses the internal one ad that works? You could try forcing it to use the internal when plugged in to see if it crashes then?

2 hours ago, XaW said:

Only guesswork here, but could it be that when it's plugged in it goes into "performance mode" and that uses a GPU with issues, but when it's not plugged in it uses the internal one ad that works? You could try forcing it to use the internal when plugged in to see if it crashes then?

Good shout, I’ll have a look tomorrow. I thought I had changed the performance to be the same for unplugged and plugged in but the display definitely changes when I plug it in. I’ll try and have a play about tomorrow and report back.

Any idea how I would do this? Would it be ok the Nvidia software or just laptop settings?

Edited by TWBO

8 hours ago, TWBO said:

Good shout, I’ll have a look tomorrow. I thought I had changed the performance to be the same for unplugged and plugged in but the display definitely changes when I plug it in. I’ll try and have a play about tomorrow and report back.

Any idea how I would do this? Would it be ok the Nvidia software or just laptop settings?

Not sure tbh, but I think Nvidia control panel would be a good way to start.