Football Manager 2024 Official Feedback Thread

Managing England and got the World Cup Final on the 23rd July 2034. Three days before the final I get this news item:

image.png.c96952f0ade43aecb3eb539ef7024346.png

He was Vice Captain and still a starter!

image.png.977ab1535b2119b4a0cfe7fd3faefba1.png

Joke of a bug.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very minor bugbear of mine.

Valencia have just approached me for an interview (I didn't apply) and the second question is 'You've done some highly impressive work in your current club, why do you want to leave?'

Err, you approached me? I'm talking to you to find out if I do want to leave.

I'd love to see some differences between interviews for jobs I've applied for and interviews for jobs where a club is actively looking to poach me.

• SI Staff
13 hours ago, CAE82 said:

Managing England and got the World Cup Final on the 23rd July 2034. Three days before the final I get this news item.

Hi @CAE82

If possible do you have a save file from before Rice declares his retirement date? 

If so can you please upload it to us.

1 hour ago, Zachary Whyte said:

Hi @CAE82

If possible do you have a save file from before Rice declares his retirement date? 

If so can you please upload it to us.

Good Morning @Zachary Whyte,

I tend to use a single save file but I do have a backup from 2025 (current game date 2034). Is this too far in the past? For extra context, Rice's contract with a Saudi club expired on 30/6/34 and so he'd become a free agent during the tournament and then decided to retire on 25th July. There were a few England staff who were due to retire on 30/6/34 but I received an news item saying they had decided to postpone their retirement so they could continue in the tournament. It seems these checks are made with staff, so could be worth adding to players too.

42 minutes ago, CAE82 said:

I tend to use a single save file but I do have a backup from 2025 (current game date 2034). Is this too far in the past? For extra context, Rice's contract with a Saudi club expired on 30/6/34 and so he'd become a free agent during the tournament and then decided to retire on 25th July. There were a few England staff who were due to retire on 30/6/34 but I received an news item saying they had decided to postpone their retirement so they could continue in the tournament. It seems these checks are made with staff, so could be worth adding to players too.

This usually happens with players. I had a player scheduled for retirement at a certain date, but later I qualified for a cup final. When his retirement date was close I got a message he had postponed it until the day after the final. So I'm guessing there is something regarding the season rollover vs the World Cup that messed it up for you and also why Zach wants the example. I'm sure there are not many retiring players about to appear in a World Cup final! ;) 

1 hour ago, XaW said:

I love these "from the training ground" moments on set pieces! :D

PxqAYRv.gif

My favorite part about these is the multiple bug reports spanning the entire lifespan of FM24!  For example, this one, which for bonus funsies also features the keeper looking off down the tunnel as the unmarked player on the edge of the six-yard box shoots!

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, CAE82 said:

That save would be too far back I'm afraid. 

As @XaW mentions above, if a player is scheduled for retirement at a certain date, but later qualified for a cup final. His retirement date is usually postponed until a day or two after the final.

Thanks, there was obviously something strange going on. I don’t recall him stating that he planned to retire as I was considering signing him on a free for my club side and I’m pretty sure there was no ‘Ret’ symbol next to his name.

Anyway, his loss, we won the final so if he’d have waited a few more days then he could have gone out on a high, lol. 

On 24/05/2024 at 15:30, KingCanary said:

I'd stopped playing for a while as I'd grown bored of my long term save. I've recently tried to start a new one and my main feeling about FM24 is frustration because the biggest issue with this game is the same as it has been for 3 or 4 years in that the game offers players absolutely no useful feedback.

Backroom staff are beyond pointless. The only reason to hire coaches and assistants is to take training sessions and make sure players aren't unhappy. From a tactical or squad management input though I might as well have hired my four year old. Have you considering demoting your top scorer to a squad player for no reason? Have you considered dropping your most inform defenders for these players I like?

Then when you get into a match it is somehow worse. I understand sometimes teams shut my tactics down but why can't my staff give me any insight into why? If I'm 30 minutes in, against a team I'm favoured to beat and I've managed one shot on goal, where is the insight? Are the opposition sitting too deep for my longer passing to exploit? Are they man marking my playmaker and dispossessing them with ease? Are they shutting down passing lanes forcing my defenders to go long? Who can tell? Certainly not my staff. They might suggest I try and win some set pieces though.

So just to add an example of this. I'm managing Ajacco here, we're in good form (6 wins in the last 7 games) playing Batista who have won two of the bounce following a run of 10 games without winning. We're 4th in the league, they 14th. We have one of the best attacking records in the league, they have one of the worst defensive records. At the 36th minute stage of the match it's 0-0 and I've managed one shot on goal. Ok, this happens some times. I wonder if there is any insight into what is going wrong?

My backroom staff have helpfully pointed out that we've only had one shot. They're also claiming we've created some chances from set pieces (which as far as I can see means 'we've won a couple of freekicks that have led to nothing.') The visualiser is telling me that all our attacks are coming from the flanks (I'm using a wing play tactic so this isn't a great shock) but no insight as to why we might be struggling in the middle of the field.

I'm sure there are folks who are smarter than me who can look at this and immediately diagnose the issue. I'm not one of them and it leads to a very frustrating experience that I'm provided absolutely zero insight to help me consider some potential tactical tweaks. I shouldn't need to spend hours on a forum getting a PhD in tactics to be able to make an informed guess as to what I need to change.

image.thumb.png.6c4f931cadb57b555aeb0014d3c0458d.png

7 hours ago, KingCanary said:

I'm sure there are folks who are smarter than me who can look at this and immediately diagnose the issue. I'm not one of them and it leads to a very frustrating experience that I'm provided absolutely zero insight to help me consider some potential tactical tweaks.

I'm not one of those people that can immediately diagnose but...

First suggestion would be to watch the match in full. You might see you're losing the ball in similar patterns.

Second suggestion would be to post your current tactic and the one the opposition is playing. If they're playing something like a 3-4-2-1/5-2-2-1 it'll be very compact in the middle. Its hard to say what exactly is going on with just summary statistics.

Third suggestion is your players are complacent after such a winning run and need a reminder that effort is required to win. Or your team is just having a bad day at the office. Its bound to happen during a season. Man City drew Crystal Palace at home. Nothing to do but move on to the next game. Don't go chopping and changing a tactic that has produced excellent results otherwise

Fourth suggestion is because of your winning run teams are sitting deeper against you and content to let you have the ball out wide/in your own half. It doesn't appear like you've set your team on the typical high intensity gegenpress but you might want to allow the opposing team some space in order to create opportunities in behind.

Fifth suggestion is if you're really frustrated, take a break from the game. Come back with some fresh ideas and attitude so you can look at what's happening without the frustration. I do this pretty regularly.

Posted (edited)

I know FM24 is not in development anymore, but can you make sure that we don't get players complaining about reha in FM25. Would like that. Also WTF.

image.png

Edited by b2khn

Posted (edited)
On 30/05/2024 at 02:48, KingCanary said:

So just to add an example of this. I'm managing Ajacco here, we're in good form (6 wins in the last 7 games) playing Batista who have won two of the bounce following a run of 10 games without winning. We're 4th in the league, they 14th. We have one of the best attacking records in the league, they have one of the worst defensive records. At the 36th minute stage of the match it's 0-0 and I've managed one shot on goal. Ok, this happens some times. I wonder if there is any insight into what is going wrong?

Presumably they're not coming out to play away from home against a better side? Watch the match as @wazzaflow10 mentions, but w/out providing insights into your tactical approach vs their tactical approach it is all just guess work. The game does not do a great job of making the TI screen user/new player friendly but in general you need to look at where space is on the pitch when making in match changes, and especially so when looking to control the game.

Based on the numbers it looks like they're executing their plan successfully while nullifying yours. If you're looking to control the game and increase possession, FM24 offers the positional play feature and an abundance of ways to create a box midfield. OIs are useful in targeting weak players as is looking at what the opposition personnel are bad at (first touch, slow, weak, short etc.) I'd recommend watching how individual roles perform for a better understanding of how you can make changes when things aren't working. Also, football games are also low scoring affairs...a goal after 30 minutes is not the norm! 

This is a great source to learn about how to tactically influence a game: https://community.sports-interactive.com/forums/forum/19-tactics-training-strategies-discussion/

Again if you're not sure, look for where the space is. Opposition compact? The space will be out wide, so deploying winger roles or increasing your width will draw the fullbacks out to the threat, creating gaps inside for runners. Space in behind or a slow defensive line? Attack/hit the ball into space through TIs/PIs and roles. Low mentals? Good players to target, they will have a mistake in them. Check the pass maps, who is making things tick for them? Who is the goalkeeper distributing the ball to? Go after them w/OIs and kick them down. Opposition player has bad morale? Another target. Role that cuts inside in possession like an IWB? A weak point to go after. 

On roles/TIs: 

• What type of striker are you deploying? A lot of users will only deploy a spearheading striker such as an AF in their setups, but these strikers will constantly look to run the channels in behind leading to turnovers. A Poacher can be a nice like for like role switch in these situations, as he will remain in the box as a pure finisher, instead of forcing a move before it's ready. A facilitating forward is another option and a role like a F9 will pull center backs out of their defensive shape for onrushing goal scorers (SS, P, CM(a) are all great options). 
  • When patiently breaking down the opposition, lower the tempo. You'll want to keep a TI like "counterpress" on to preserve your high line, but a high tempo will see rushed play, which is easy to frustrate for the opposition.
  • Similarly leaving removing counter on will lead to unnecessary turnovers.
  • A role like an AP is great for these games, he's essentially "work the ball into the box" on a ball magnet AP role and has the attributes to do it. Hit crosses early can help if the opposition is sitting deep (getting them before they set). Work the ball into the box, is frequently a strong choice as well as it helps to remove low % attempts.
  • Role pairings or individual players who can create overloads are another tool to consider.

In a 4-3-3 I would recommend a Libero(d) w/a complete (and tall) DM(s) to break down opposition while being defensively stable. If you're look to play with more traditional fullback/wingback roles, you'll need to figure out when to send them forward to aid in the attack.

Edited by Cloud9

Posted (edited)

Is it just me that finds player contracts ridiculous in longer saves?

I just got a decent youth intake with one or two 4-5 star potential players. Offering them their contracts, they instantly demand future playing time and a promise of a loan. 15 year olds coming through the ranks should never be asking for loans. Then onto the contract negotiations: 750k per year, 1.4 mil after 10 apps, 1.9 mil after 20 apps, with a 15% yearly wage increase to top it off. It's just ridiculous these last few years.

And it doesn't just happen to the player. Every club with high income has the same issue. Just looking at Barcelona B, their keeper has a salary of 3.8mil per season and they signed a 50k backup B team keeper that they are paying 4.28 mil per season.

Screenshot 2024-06-01 211536.png

Edited by Mitza

@Cloud9 @wazzaflow10 I do appreciate you taking the time out to give your thoughts. However you're (perhaps inadvertently) somewhat backing up what my biggest issue with the game is and what I was trying to highlight in my initial post- namely that the game itself should be giving me more information to inform the decisions I'm making, rather than me having to come on here and post a tactic.

I'm not asking the game to hold my hand and tell me how I can win each and every game. But I feel like my coaches and assistances should essentially be acting as my eyes and ears and feeding back on where we're struggling in game. Just a couple of lines in the dugout like 'Bastia are sitting deep so we're struggling to find space in behind' or 'Bastia are playing very narrow and letting us have the space out wide.'

Neither of these things are telling me what specific instructions I should change but they are at least helping inform any changes I make. In previous versions you could see heatmaps and other information during the match which was really useful- it could inform if I had a player who was getting too isolated or if the opposition was playing very deep or narrow. Now I have to wait until half time to see that and the general response is 'watch the full match.'

I've no interest in watching full games. The day that becomes essential is the day I stop playing as I just don't have the time or the desire to dedicate that sort of time to a game. 

7 hours ago, KingCanary said:

@Cloud9 @wazzaflow10 I do appreciate you taking the time out to give your thoughts. However you're (perhaps inadvertently) somewhat backing up what my biggest issue with the game is and what I was trying to highlight in my initial post- namely that the game itself should be giving me more information to inform the decisions I'm making, rather than me having to come on here and post a tactic.

I'm not asking the game to hold my hand and tell me how I can win each and every game. But I feel like my coaches and assistances should essentially be acting as my eyes and ears and feeding back on where we're struggling in game. Just a couple of lines in the dugout like 'Bastia are sitting deep so we're struggling to find space in behind' or 'Bastia are playing very narrow and letting us have the space out wide.'

Neither of these things are telling me what specific instructions I should change but they are at least helping inform any changes I make. In previous versions you could see heatmaps and other information during the match which was really useful- it could inform if I had a player who was getting too isolated or if the opposition was playing very deep or narrow. Now I have to wait until half time to see that and the general response is 'watch the full match.'

I've no interest in watching full games. The day that becomes essential is the day I stop playing as I just don't have the time or the desire to dedicate that sort of time to a game. 

You don't have to watch the entire match - just long enough to see why after 30 minutes you've only got 1 shot. As you gain more experience, you'd be able to switch formation/instructions to something that you know generally works. It won't always. I recently had a match where I was getting carved open and found myself down 0-2 in the first 10 mins before adjusting my players PI's on who to mark and came back and won 3-2. I tried a similar approach in defensive positioning/marking against an opponent a few games later and was crushed 4-0.

There's no one size fits all approach in the game. For better or worse it's not really a speedrun game like it was maybe 10-15+ years ago. Though depending on your view of the sliders and even further back to WIBWOB, this system could be considered much easier to set up and play and speed through seasons initially. However, teams do adapt to your form and will play much more cautiously if you're winning a lot of games. So really the best thing to do until you're able to spot the issues from comprehensive or extended highlights is to watch more of the match. Also make use of your opposition scouting. If you see they're likely to pack it in you'll be better prepared for making changes during the match or even before it.

The shortcut to not watching the match in full is to go to the tactics and training site that was linked previously. There's some really excellent tactical instructors that can give you the feedback you think the AssMan should be telling you and ways to accomplish the alternative way through teams that pack it in. Think of it as if you were going to a UEFA coaching course. Coaches share ideas there all the time. 

13 hours ago, KingCanary said:

So, you expect that you can just auto pilot through the matches, using key(?) highlights and your backroom staff to do the hard work for you? 

I can only see it as a positive thing that the game is nowadays at least at times making us to actually go deeper and troubleshoot when things aren't going your way. 

Please don't take this as any kind of attack towards you. I do agree that most of the time the feedback that you receive from your assistant is quite useless, yet at times they also point out valid things like singular players seeing too much of the ball. 

2 hours ago, El Payaso said:

So, you expect that you can just auto pilot through the matches, using key(?) highlights and your backroom staff to do the hard work for you? 

I can only see it as a positive thing that the game is nowadays at least at times making us to actually go deeper and troubleshoot when things aren't going your way. 

Please don't take this as any kind of attack towards you. I do agree that most of the time the feedback that you receive from your assistant is quite useless, yet at times they also point out valid things like singular players seeing too much of the ball. 

Firstly, no problem with a bit of disagreement- we all like to play the game differently.

I'm not looking to autopilot- far from it. I certainly wouldn't want the game hand holding and telling me 'to beat this team you need to do this.' What I'm looking for is a bit of useful context so my options aren't either watch matches on full or make total stabs in the dark as to what is/isn't working. I'm watching on comprehensive highlights so I'm not skimming. I just personally don't have endless hours I can commit to the game and the more the game nudges me towards having to watch chunks of the match on full highlights in order to make tactical decisions then the longer each match takes. I'm just not interested in a situation where if I have a couple of hours to play I'm only getting through one or two actual matches.

It doesn't even need to come in the form of assistant advice- I come back to the fact a couple of years ago the game showed you heat maps and similar during the match. This was useful as it meant I could at least get a bit of basic information- is opposition pushing up, is my lone striker too far up the pitch and getting isolated etc etc. None of these things told me 'you have to change this setting or instruction' but it gave me a useful starting point. 

1 hour ago, KingCanary said:

Firstly, no problem with a bit of disagreement- we all like to play the game differently.

I'm not looking to autopilot- far from it. I certainly wouldn't want the game hand holding and telling me 'to beat this team you need to do this.' What I'm looking for is a bit of useful context so my options aren't either watch matches on full or make total stabs in the dark as to what is/isn't working. I'm watching on comprehensive highlights so I'm not skimming. I just personally don't have endless hours I can commit to the game and the more the game nudges me towards having to watch chunks of the match on full highlights in order to make tactical decisions then the longer each match takes. I'm just not interested in a situation where if I have a couple of hours to play I'm only getting through one or two actual matches.

It doesn't even need to come in the form of assistant advice- I come back to the fact a couple of years ago the game showed you heat maps and similar during the match. This was useful as it meant I could at least get a bit of basic information- is opposition pushing up, is my lone striker too far up the pitch and getting isolated etc etc. None of these things told me 'you have to change this setting or instruction' but it gave me a useful starting point. 

Taking away the ability to look at certain analysis screen mid-match is pretty annoying, I agree. 

Another thing that's a bit annoying is the number of roles that have hard-coded behaviors that are not transparent to the user.  PIs generally tend towards 'do this thing more often or less often', but roles don't tell you how often they do that thing.  So there's often a second step to the analysis: once you've decided on the tweak you want, you need to determine which button you can press to actually get the thing you want to do implemented.  Sometimes that's not trivial.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/06/2024 at 08:27, KingCanary said:

Agreed. I use the Tato skin to get around this limitation. The player statistics and analytics are key to giving me a view of what is happening in the game. Like you, I have no desire to play out a computer game in real time.

5 hours ago, chris72 said:

is there any chance of there being real life stadiums in the next game?

The recent news about EPL licensing maybe makes that more of a possibility, especially if Unity offers the possibility of better graphics?

Is there a mechanic that breaks the user's tactics?
It's no fun anymore, there's no tactical response from the opponent, they just score. That is not fun. No, I am not talking about Real Madrid, I am talking about every team in this game.

Even if you have a tactic that works very well, you hardly ever concede goals, you always score. From one day to the next, you lose all your efficiency. And you stop scoring and start conceding.

That is just meh. I would understand it, if the opponents would use a different tactic, but they don't. They just play a 4-2-3-1 with IWB and IFB all the time.

45 minuti fa, b2khn ha scritto:

Is there a mechanic that breaks the user's tactics?
It's no fun anymore, there's no tactical response from the opponent, they just score. That is not fun. No, I am not talking about Real Madrid, I am talking about every team in this game.

Even if you have a tactic that works very well, you hardly ever concede goals, you always score. From one day to the next, you lose all your efficiency. And you stop scoring and start conceding.

That is just meh. I would understand it, if the opponents would use a different tactic, but they don't. They just play a 4-2-3-1 with IWB and IFB all the time.

No, there's not.

There's a moment where your opponents understand that you're not that bad as they thought you'd be and start playing more defensively.

Your tactic is not that perfect if you start losing every match tbf. It probably doesn't defend well against counters 

1 hour ago, Andrew Marines said:

No, there's not.

There's a moment where your opponents understand that you're not that bad as they thought you'd be and start playing more defensively.

Your tactic is not that perfect if you start losing every match tbf. It probably doesn't defend well against counters 

I doubt it. My tactic is anti counter. Iam also not loosing every game. It is just that there is something in the game, that breaks tactics.
Also Iam not an underdog that is overperforming. Iam constantly putting out good performances, and some days it does work out. Other days it does not, without a reason, other than the opponent scoring from what can be called FM-Goals.
For me this game comes in to flavors, one is winning and one is loosing. Tactic, attributes and all that fancy talk is pointless.

37 minuti fa, b2khn ha scritto:

I doubt it. My tactic is anti counter. Iam also not loosing every game. It is just that there is something in the game, that breaks tactics.
Also Iam not an underdog that is overperforming. Iam constantly putting out good performances, and some days it does work out. Other days it does not, without a reason, other than the opponent scoring from what can be called FM-Goals.
For me this game comes in to flavors, one is winning and one is loosing. Tactic, attributes and all that fancy talk is pointless.

I usually say that the game is the problem with movements issue etc etc but this time i think it's on your side. Watch full length matches when this happens and you'll see the issue yourself.

PlayStation Brazil just announced that football manager console edition will be available next week on PlayStation Plus, can this be an indication that the game will be available again officially in the country?

Getting on and off of the game and still very frustated about the Recruitment Focuses issue. I can't seem to find new players using Focuses, can't find players of a specific position to replace someone that I sold because my scounts literally can't find A SINGLE player.

Not a single good left-back available with 2* CA/ 3* PA.

Hope that FM25 fixes that because I logged this glitch in DECEMBER and all the responses that we had were that our scouting parameters were too narrow..
image.png.2dbb53ea1e4ca1af4c1833bf53b4aa18.pngNo 

When one is presented with the 'choose a captain' screen at the start of each season the default option should not be to change either selection. It would be quite easy to click through this screen and take the assistants advice to change them and risk upsetting the entire club. It's farcial that the default option on this screen is to use the assistants advice actually.

15 hours ago, zeza said:

Getting on and off of the game and still very frustated about the Recruitment Focuses issue. I can't seem to find new players using Focuses, can't find players of a specific position to replace someone that I sold because my scounts literally can't find A SINGLE player.

Not a single good left-back available with 2* CA/ 3* PA.

Hope that FM25 fixes that because I logged this glitch in DECEMBER and all the responses that we had were that our scouting parameters were too narrow..
image.png.2dbb53ea1e4ca1af4c1833bf53b4aa18.pngNo 

For me personally, I have found that scouting a specific position is broken, unless I am doing something completely wrong. But similarly to you, I barely get any results, maybe 1 or 2 if I am lucky. If I scout any position from tactic from a region/nation/competition etc I seem to get plenty of results, but the individual position assignments seem to generate next to nothing. 

13 hours ago, tropicsafc said:

When one is presented with the 'choose a captain' screen at the start of each season the default option should not be to change either selection. It would be quite easy to click through this screen and take the assistants advice to change them and risk upsetting the entire club. It's farcial that the default option on this screen is to use the assistants advice actually.

I imagine (hope!) FM25 will have a much improved interface and things like this will be avoided.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who rapidly clicks and ignores all the irrelevant stuff and occasionally gets caught out with things like you mention.

I do try to delegate as much of the pointless stuff and turn off as many notifications and news feeds as possible, but there is still a huge amount of what feels like irrelevant stuff to click through. I wonder what the ‘efficiency’ of the interface is? As in I kind of feel that 75% clicks and interactions are a waste of time. In some ways it’s like being forced to watch Ads when streaming online and makes FM a very time-consuming game to play. People usually play hundreds/thousands of hours per year and I feel a large chunk of that is wasted time. 

Scouting at the beggining of the save is a bit scuffed because you do not have a large database of scouted players..

This is what I get for 2/3 left back

image.png.9ab39a96a3107c3f5275263b757556c3.png

6 hours ago, -Jef- said:

Scouting at the beggining of the save is a bit scuffed because you do not have a large database of scouted players..

This is what I get for 2/3 left back

image.png.9ab39a96a3107c3f5275263b757556c3.png

Has nothing to do with beginning of the save.

There is less of a problem if you are a lower level team because the players that are good enough are plentiful.

If you're looking for a top player at a big club we've been told they must be interested in joining before they even get scouted. That leads to zero results in recruitment focuses. Worse than that is when you look in your scouted players pool no one shows up either. The game weirdly ignores your CA/PA filters when setting up a focus and decides who is good enough for you before being scouted.

It would be a much better system if the game actually 1) used the filters you applied and 2) used the full scale of letter grades for recommendations. If a player isn't interested put it in the near matches with a lower grade. Player interest should only affect the recommendation, not that actual scouting process.

I know that this topic has been covered an awful lot on these forums, but thought I would give my input after actually trying it myself. 

I have never been a gegenpress guy, always played 442 wing play and focused on getting it wide and crossing, and always set up quite deep defensively, but after getting promoted to the Premier League in my 2nd season with Birmingham City, halfway through the season and hovering just above the relegation zone I thought I would try upping my press game to see what difference it would make. I changed formation to a 433DM and enabled counter, counter press and closing down often. I still have a normal defensive line and on the ball I focus play down the wings still, with standard passing and a slightly higher tempo and low crosses. The transformation was insane! I ended up finishing 8th in my first season, then I have just finished my 2nd season in the Premier League with Birmingham City and came 2nd, winning the league cup in the process. I quite literally never tweak anything either in my tactics based on the opposition, I just click continue through to the match and rotate players when needed. Zero need for the data hub, or opposition scout reports or anything like that.

Don't get me wrong it is quite nice to be winning all the time, and it will be fun to play in the Champions League next season, but it seems pretty wild to me that at the click of a few buttons I can go from a struggling, newly promoted team to an almost unstoppable force. I do miss the days of getting it out wide and lumping it in to the big man in the box though! I can see why people claim this tactic is broken, and I don't even use a lot of the instructions that I see others talk about like higher defensive line, keeper roll it out, short passing etc. Hopefully in FM25 they will make some tweaks so it doesn't seem so powerful, or there is a major drawback to playing like this (e.g. loads of injuries, constant fatigue etc).

This is also not a dig at the game or anything like that, I am having great fun being the underdogs and getting to the champions league... just wanted to share my experience.   

Came here to make this post about the energy system in the game anyway, and in some ways it's a follow on from what @Jonthedon26 posted.

This season my tactic was as follows:

Liverpool_Overview-15.thumb.png.2ed7bc2c909eeb4e630319f195bc23d4.png

I've made numerous tweaks over the seasons (this is my 8th season at Liverpool), and this is by far the most intense the tactic has ever been. It resulted in my first treble (PL, CL and FA cup) which does, tbf, suggest it's a bit ridiculous but I think there's a lot more context behind it other than just high,intense pressing = win.

Our best performances were earlier on in the season. Here was us away at Old Trafford, a ground I've struggled at every year.

Spoiler

ManUtdvLiverpool_Review-5.thumb.png.d529be7016252a543fdec523cac87446.png

We lost, but we were dominant. I found that the best way to play against the big teams, especially away, was to play with a lot of intensity, however the further on into the season we got, the less viable this became, and that was mainly because the players just got extremely tired. Here, for example, was our away legs in the CL towards the latter stages.

Spoiler

LensvLiverpool_Review.thumb.png.1755610565af16bd554c43ed01a9cbb4.png

Spoiler

MilanvLiverpool_Review.thumb.png.95e611e96d8fcc212f2684bbb6846df7.png

We were very poor in both of these games, and I was often required to bring in substitutes around the 60th minute because my players were a lot more tired than the opposition. The Milan game is the only time this season I dropped the high line to the mid block, dropped how often the press was triggered and I believe I removed counter. If I'd kept those on we would have been dust long before the full time whistle . This was a pattern throughout, especially for the front 4 who obviously had to run a lot more. By the end of the season even rotating every game wasn't enough, because the amount of running required meant players were having to play at a high intensity every 3/4 days, and it definitely caught up to a certain extent. Which brings me to the CL final against Barcelona.

Spoiler

BarcelonavLiverpool_Review-2.thumb.png.32d491aef8de41c2ee12599038e923ff.png

If you look at the match momentum at the bottom, you'll see that for 90 minutes we were very much second best, and we were a lot more tired than Barcelona were. Again, I was forced to sub off my 'favoured' players, but our quality of depth is such that we still have an incredible team when those players come on. Okoduwa is considered a 4.5* player, Nilsson, Hazeldine and Plattel are all 4*s. Compare that to Barca's subs, two of which came on with no match sharpness. One of the players who did have sharpness, and was actually the first sub they made, was D'Angelo. This was another game in which I was basically forced to drop the counter attack and dropped how often we triggered the press, and I only increased our intensity when Barca were down to 10 men and had their poorer players on.

Spoiler

SimoneDAngelo_Profile.thumb.png.32b389d68492543e81cefa26380ec0c7.png

A defensive player with poor composure (10), and 12 for heading and tackling. The difference in quality there is ridiculous, and I think is a far bigger reason why the system of pressing appears overpowered. Not one single human player is considering a player like this a viable option in their squad if they're going for a Champions League trophy. 

My takeaway from the entire season was that, as strong as our system was in the early parts of the season, the fixture congestion caught up with us and I was having to rotate a lot. Players were quicker to tire, were more susceptible to poor performances to the point where I was actually happy to bring them off, and those substitutions were so often the difference maker for us. 

I do think it could be tuned more, and we probably should've seen even more fatigue being built up, but like I said there was a lot of regular rotation going on. I still felt like it took far too long into the season for players to get suitably fatigued.

The Barcelona game, to me, shows exactly why this system is so effective for human players. There's no doubt for me that the best way to approach games is with a high intensity, but if your players are in any way fatigued (which they will be after a season of pressing) then you really do see a drop off. We were poor in numerous mid week games, and subs were a must every time. On another day Barcelona are out of sight before we have the chance to bring on subs. 

The second point is that the AI simply can't keep up in terms of depth. If you look at the Barca squad, by the end of the game their best players are the ones who are exhausted, whereas the only fresh players they have are players who are a massive drop off. Compare that to my team, the drop off is basically non existent,

On 01/06/2024 at 20:13, Mitza said:

Is it just me that finds player contracts ridiculous in longer saves?

I just got a decent youth intake with one or two 4-5 star potential players. Offering them their contracts, they instantly demand future playing time and a promise of a loan. 15 year olds coming through the ranks should never be asking for loans. Then onto the contract negotiations: 750k per year, 1.4 mil after 10 apps, 1.9 mil after 20 apps, with a 15% yearly wage increase to top it off. It's just ridiculous these last few years.

And it doesn't just happen to the player. Every club with high income has the same issue. Just looking at Barcelona B, their keeper has a salary of 3.8mil per season and they signed a 50k backup B team keeper that they are paying 4.28 mil per season.

Screenshot 2024-06-01 211536.png

I had great youth intakes with my Villarreal team and ended up paying a lot of salary to 16 years olds. Average first team player in my squad was earning around 100k-150k per month. And I had to give every good young prospect around 50-70k per month. 16 years old kid with no first team rep or even training asking for a decent laliga wage :D It is annoying. First professional contracts are paid crazy good for high potantial prospects. Most of my saves become stupid because I constantly have to give up new contracts and pay everybody more. Getting a bargain deal for 5 year means nothing. Because if player develops or plays well. Or team has good success. I eventually have to give up more and more money. 

This game really needs some specific quality of life improvements. The biggest gripe I currently have are the B teams, which are far from practical:
-Why can't you assign first team players to play for the B team on the same day as the senior team? Providing you don't put them on the senior team sheet...
-Why isn't there any realistic pathway to promoting your B team into an active league? Maybe investing money into the development of B team where the DoF or someone can use the funds to get players and staff that will promote the team would solve this problem?
-Why, in Portugal, B teams work as affiliates that can ask for a friendly with the senior team that you should be able to cancel, but can't? And why do you only have 7 subs (which you even can't choose yourself) for those friendlies?
-A general bug but sometimes automatic friendly matches don't get scheduled when the team isn't playing a match that week.
-Why do B/youth teams not play the players in positions you're training them in?

16 hours ago, sdx15 said:

This game really needs some specific quality of life improvements. The biggest gripe I currently have are the B teams, which are far from practical:
-Why can't you assign first team players to play for the B team on the same day as the senior team? Providing you don't put them on the senior team sheet...
-Why isn't there any realistic pathway to promoting your B team into an active league? Maybe investing money into the development of B team where the DoF or someone can use the funds to get players and staff that will promote the team would solve this problem?
-Why, in Portugal, B teams work as affiliates that can ask for a friendly with the senior team that you should be able to cancel, but can't? And why do you only have 7 subs (which you even can't choose yourself) for those friendlies?
-A general bug but sometimes automatic friendly matches don't get scheduled when the team isn't playing a match that week.
-Why do B/youth teams not play the players in positions you're training them in?

Agree, managing in Spain and I have seen so many similar frustrations regarding B teams. 

Sad reality is that it doesn't effect England, so don't count on this being fixed. 

Transfers:

It is great that the PA of a player cannot be detected 100% to keep the surprise factor - however sometimes I'd try to sign a young player who is very inconspicuous and modest in his demands, but out of nowhere suddenly wants a minimum release clause of 94 Mio...   Then you immediately know its an insane wonderkid. But nobody else seems to know - even the player himself and his agent nor our scout does - except from this crazy release clause demand.
Also strange, let's say you manage to hire a very good scout who was at big clubs before and has seen good players, but you are a low-league club. Then, this scout suddenly won't be able to distinguish young Messi from a bad top league player anymore - both will get 5 stars since your club is in a lower league.

Technical Director:

No matter if he's got 20 in all attributes - he will recommend Physios and Sports Scientists and other Staff members to you who CLEARLY have much worse attributes than your existing staff, claiming they are better. Moreover, if you give him the authorization, he will hire staff members who are outrageously expensive and bad in comparison to what you'd be able to achieve if you searched for yourself. I think this should happen if he had bad "Judging SA" and "Negotiating" but even at 20 it won't change that (much). Those are the things that put you off the game since it can be so tedious to hire dozens of staff members for your U19 etc. - just because your TD is absolutely incapable regardless of his attributes.

Shouts during match / Player interaction:

The way they are now, they'd better not be there at all. For example, let's say we score which wasn't to be expected, and I want to praise our team for that. But just because we are not leading by more than 2 goals, my team often times will react very negatively (!) I mean, all these conditions like "leading by at least 2 goals" obviously are scripted and this is not fun at all.    Or, let's say I want to praise my inexperienced youngster after his first match where he helped out in a big Champions League game. But just because his grade was not 8.5+, he'll probably react very negatively. Such things should be tied to his CA and age (etc.) with a formula behind it or something. Because such obviously scripted thresholds of 8.5 or whatever break the immersion. Same goes for the team talk before and after matches - often times they don't make much sense - but in any case, you just have to learn those lines that always cause a positive reaction (in a normal scenario) and use the same lines over and over again.     after years and years of playing FM, ... sorry, but this gets very tedious and again:  breaks immersion. please improve on these things. THANKS!

Edited by Andreas_Aust

6 hours ago, Andreas_Aust said:

Also strange, let's say you manage to hire a very good scout who was at big clubs before and has seen good players, but you are a low-league club. Then, this scout suddenly won't be able to distinguish young Messi from a bad top league player anymore - both will get 5 stars since your club is in a lower league.

This has been in existence forever. Stars are relative to your league.

4 hours ago, wazzaflow10 said:

To your team actually.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb wazzaflow10:

yes. I am not saying its only in FM24. It is just so strange when experienced scouts forget everything they have learned when they sign up for a lower league club and fail to distinguish the PA of young Messi from the PA of any bad player in a higher league.
And there are so many other things like when you sign a player with a PA of 195 for little money, within a few matches in your service,  his transfer value will explode - meaning that EVERYBODY knows its a world class player except for the scouts and pretty much any of my staff members.

While that may be funny, things like unusually high "release clause" demands when you are trying to sign someone actually have a huge impact on how you play the game. When this happened to me the other day, I immediately tried everything I could to sign him and from then clearly treated him differently from what I would have done normally. It actually broke my game because it made everything so much easier - having that huge asset in my team while I was early in a new save.  So what I am saying is that FM25 might make some tweaks to such things, thats why I wrote my long post. I don't expect FM24 to change anymore.

Edited by Andreas_Aust

13 hours ago, Andreas_Aust said:

Shouts during match / Player interaction:

The way they are now, they'd better not be there at all. For example, let's say we score which wasn't to be expected, and I want to praise our team for that. But just because we are not leading by more than 2 goals, my team often times will react very negatively (!) I mean, all these conditions like "leading by at least 2 goals" obviously are scripted and this is not fun at all.    Or, let's say I want to praise my inexperienced youngster after his first match where he helped out in a big Champions League game. But just because his grade was not 8.5+, he'll probably react very negatively. Such things should be tied to his CA and age (etc.) with a formula behind it or something. Because such obviously scripted thresholds of 8.5 or whatever break the immersion. Same goes for the team talk before and after matches - often times they don't make much sense - but in any case, you just have to learn those lines that always cause a positive reaction (in a normal scenario) and use the same lines over and over again.     after years and years of playing FM, ... sorry, but this gets very tedious and again:  breaks immersion. please improve on these things. THANKS!

Totally agree shouts need reworking as they seem totally devoid of any context outside of the current score with a little bit of whether your favourite in the match sprinkled on top. The fact you'll get an almost universally positive reaction from 'encourage' if you're drawing 0-0 but a universally negative reaction if you're winning 1-0 is just a bit silly. 

They also reflect a wider problem that the language used in FM sometimes feels written by someone who has never had an interaction with another person. In what world does it make sense for a shout of encouragement to leave a player 'uninterested' if you're 1-0 up?

My team is only a few points clear of relegation in December on a run of one win in ten while the XG stats are saying I should be top of the league (we are underachieving in both attacking and defensive xG by 8). The data hub says we're excellent in both attack and defence. Watching in comprehensive highlights, build-up and pressing looks fine, we've only been outplayed in one game. No pattern to the opposing goals except it's often 80% + of the shots on target that they have. The opposing team's goals are not individually high xG chances.  My dynamics are fine, morale is okay, the squad comparison suggests we we're among the top teams in attributes. My goalkeeper has good attributes for the level and was excellent last season. He isn't inconsistent. My forward players are regularly missing good chances.

Please god for next year's game tone down the impact of 'being on a run'. You can certainly argue it's realistic but when the player has minimal agency to make any difference to results it's not a very satisfying game.