Football Manager 2024 Official Feedback Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 31/08/2024 at 09:01, Harry Bollsack said:

Why are injuries always coded for the day before a match. It gets extremely annoying when all my players injuries are right before each matchday. Like there's no randomness to them.

In my save (2030) the top international teams have started appointing 10 CA first job no name managers. 

The AI managers that do ok are the ones that use attacking wide play systems rather than the top CA managers like pep or whoever. 

Edited by whatsupdoc

It is amazing how this game can kill a good save via stuff that just doesn't work. 

I'd gotten into a new save with Bolton, generally a good challenge with some good results and some poor ones. Suddenly midway through the January window half the squad decides we're lacking depth at goalkeeper. Fair enough, our number one has a longish term injury and our backup isn't great. So I go out and sign two keepers- one youngster who is good enough to be a backup/cup keeper right now but has the potential to be a starter long term and a veteran who is more than capable of starting but is also happy to play second fiddle.

Apparently this isn't enough, so once the window shuts I'm told half the squad is now very unhappy with me breaking a promise, despite me actually fulfilling it. This now means my influential team leader doesn't trust me, morale has plummeted and thus results follow- I labour to a 1-1 draw vs bottom of the table Northampton where my only shot on target is the penalty I score from, lose 2-0 to Wycombe because my striker is now so depressed at our lack of goalkeeper depth he can't possibly score a goal and then we get battered by Charlton. 

It isn't insurmountable but it just kills my desire to keep playing when it feels like I'm being screwed over because core elements of the game just don't work. 

10 hours ago, whatsupdoc said:

18 for FKs and "tries long range FKs" PPM. Are there any setups yielding better direct FK results than others?

Doesn't try short range FKs???

Curls ball would be a good PPM I think to have too.

Honestly I think its just luck. I hadn't had a FK goal in a long long time then had two in two different saves. Current conversion rate has fallen to below 4% in the PL. I do feel like the # of goals is somewhat underrepresented in the game though.

On 04/09/2024 at 00:51, wazzaflow10 said:

Doesn't try short range FKs???

Curls ball would be a good PPM I think to have too.

Honestly I think its just luck. I hadn't had a FK goal in a long long time then had two in two different saves. Current conversion rate has fallen to below 4% in the PL. I do feel like the # of goals is somewhat underrepresented in the game though.

That PPM won't impact his likelihood of shooting from closer FKs.

On the stats - they impact football as well as represent what's happening. It's that low because teams are choosing to shoot less and working on different set pieces. It's not like the 90s where your Beckham/Baggio/Zola/Mihajlovic etc etc were working on them constantly and encouraged to shoot.

If you do have a 20/20 FK taker, they should go against the statistical trend, which again, represents what is happening not what could happen.

Pep is another example. All football stats show that most goals are scored in sequences of under 5 passes. This leads to more and more teams playing in that way. But these overall stats reflect broad trends in the football, rather than what is possible if you have the right players to do something specific. They're not relevant when considering if a short passing style like Pep's can still dominate, or whether Beckham would or wouldn't score free kicks in 2024.

Edited by whatsupdoc

Some issues I have with this game

1) okay so I've been playing this game FM24 I like the improvements made in the match engine

however in the 2nd season when watching the game on "extended highlights" some games the game doesn't

show much of the highlights just written commentary which is very disappointing in the first season

this wasn't an issue. its not a memory issue i think its an issue with the game hopefully this will not happen in fm25.

2) Why does Pep have to get sacked in this game? It's so unrealistic  this ruins the entire game

3) Mbappe should move to Real Madrid this should have been updated in the last patch

4) Also this is happening again where when I play man city Haaland is never in the team even though he's not injured

he's not even on the bench 

5)  Teams shouldn't be selling their best players so easily teams like Bayern munich make the transfer market more realistic

and teams like real madrid and man utd should be going after the best players but it doesn't happen as much.

6) I sign a coach a year later he leaves to manage a lower league team for the same amount of money

I try to get him to stay at my club but he still leaves. There should be an option where I can offer him more money

I don't know what is going on with signing staff from other teams in FM24. I don't remember having this difficulty in the past. Its kinda ridiculous. I'm Liverpool, club is top ten ranked in world, and trying to sign a chief scout. I approach scouts at Napoli and Villa, both interested, but both end up signing new contracts with their clubs. The silly bit is the deals they are taking. The Villa guy I offered £13k a week as chief scout, but instead he re-signs at Villa as simple scout for £1.8k a week...

I'm not expecting every staff member to abandon their club every time I flutter my eyelids at them, but if guys at lower ranked clubs are consistently rejecting a bigger club, a role promotion, and six times the salary, then something seems off no?

On 07/09/2024 at 14:47, chris72 said:

Some issues I have with this game

1) okay so I've been playing this game FM24 I like the improvements made in the match engine

however in the 2nd season when watching the game on "extended highlights" some games the game doesn't

show much of the highlights just written commentary which is very disappointing in the first season

this wasn't an issue. its not a memory issue i think its an issue with the game hopefully this will not happen in fm25.

2) Why does Pep have to get sacked in this game? It's so unrealistic  this ruins the entire game

3) Mbappe should move to Real Madrid this should have been updated in the last patch

4) Also this is happening again where when I play man city Haaland is never in the team even though he's not injured

5)  Teams shouldn't be selling their best players so easily teams like Bayern munich make the transfer market more realistic

and teams like real madrid and man utd should be going after the best players but it doesn't happen as much.

6) I sign a coach a year later he leaves to manage a lower league team for the same amount of money

I try to get him to stay at my club but he still leaves. There should be an option where I can offer him more money

Have you tried @Davincids realism mod?Helps with everything your mentionng....to what extent I'm not sure of atm with his September latest release

Edited by dannyo666

On 07/09/2024 at 14:47, chris72 said:

and teams like real madrid and man utd should be going after the best players but it doesn't happen as much

3) Mbappe deal wasn't completed until this summer, I think fairly SI don't do updates for last year's game the next summer when the new edition is just around the corner

4) On my game Haaland is still first choice at City in 2031

5) Which 'best players' have Man Utd bought in the last decade??

Individual player form is still overpowered. I have had this 21 year old striker playing the same system for four seasons in Serie A, but he can't do anything positive in the latest season. No amount of targets or reprimands has motivated him to play better. I have benched him and played him against terrible opponents in cup matches, but he refuses to score goals.

I understand players can drop off suddenly in real life, but usually not at age 21 -- especially when their morale is "excellent" and their physical, mental, and technical attributes are stronger than ever. The game has essentially destroyed this player for 6 months and counting, with no mechanism to revive him and no indication of what is causing the struggle.

Kouassi.png.01053fd14a58557fbcf4e90c3d8e899f.png

14 minutes ago, Overmars said:

I have had this 21 year old striker playing the same system for four seasons in Serie A, but he can't do anything positive in the latest season.

Ok, so your were managing the same team 4 seasons ago. Were they predicted to finish in the same position in each season? I'd love to know what the predicted finishing spot was in each of the 4 seasons.

11 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Ok, so your were managing the same team 4 seasons ago. Were they predicted to finish in the same position in each season? I'd love to know what the predicted finishing spot was in each of the 4 seasons.

From memory, something like: 10th then 6th then 2nd then 2nd.

1 minute ago, Overmars said:

10th then 6th then 2nd then 2nd

This is where you should start looking, imo. Your situation and how clubs approach you have changed quite a bit in four years. You have not changed your approach at all.

One thing that would delight me beyond compare in FM25- comprehensive highlights not feeling the need to show offsides as highlights. Nothing more frustrating that watching a minute of decent build up and the highlight ends because a player makes a run, turns back, passes it back then immediately receives a return pass and is flagged for offside. I had a highlight recently that was just a throw in near the corner flag, ball passed back to the thrower, offside. In what world is that a 'highlight?'

1 hour ago, KingCanary said:

One thing that would delight me beyond compare in FM25- comprehensive highlights not feeling the need to show offsides as highlights. Nothing more frustrating that watching a minute of decent build up and the highlight ends because a player makes a run, turns back, passes it back then immediately receives a return pass and is flagged for offside. I had a highlight recently that was just a throw in near the corner flag, ball passed back to the thrower, offside. In what world is that a 'highlight?'

ME does not show you predetermined result.

5 hours ago, KingCanary said:

If that is the case how does the ME know what to show as a highlight in each of the different tiers?

Set Pieces is a good chance to start a highlight, especially if they start opp. half.

58 minutes ago, fc.cadoni said:

Set Pieces is a good chance to start a highlight, especially if they start opp. half.

That isn't an answer the question I asked.

I'm not talking about how the highlight starts. I'm talking about highlights that end with an offside.

On 10/09/2024 at 10:41, fc.cadoni said:

ME does not show you predetermined result.

isn't the entire match calculated once you start the match and recalculated each time you or the ai manager make a change? I think the highlights are just a visual playback of what was calculated.

@fc.cadoni / @KingCanary - I think you two are talking past each other. It's basically what @wazzaflow10writes. The match is played under the hood, so the game knows when to show highlights, and whenever either manager makes changes, the match is then recalculated from that point on. So it's not pre-determined as it can change, but it still sort of is if no changes are made to know when to show highlights.

1 hour ago, XaW said:

@fc.cadoni / @KingCanary - I think you two are talking past each other. It's basically what @wazzaflow10writes. The match is played under the hood, so the game knows when to show highlights, and whenever either manager makes changes, the match is then recalculated from that point on. So it's not pre-determined as it can change, but it still sort of is if no changes are made to know when to show highlights.

Thanks, I thought this was the case.

So something under the hood is telling the game 'this is worthy of being shown as a highlight' and I think that needs some tweaking.

21 hours ago, XaW said:

I find this mechanism to be most amusing on corner kicks. If there's currently a highlight ongoing and I've made changes I often cancel them and wait until after the corner kick in attack. In defence sometimes I change mentality or add a shout quickly to recalculate the engine. Its a bit gamey but on occasion I've wondered if there should be an option (especially for subs) to say implement after set piece/highlight has concluded.

A shout could have an impact but changing the mentality really shouldn't change my team's performance that quickly. Going from control to balance for instance shouldn't really change the engine significantly enough in that exact moment to change the highlight from being a goal conceded to no goal conceded. If anything trying to give tactical instructions like that should come with a transition period that might "confuse" players causing them to possibly play disjointed for a time until they're all on the same page again.

I've got no stats to back this method up if I've actually successfully "re-rolled".

Went on to start a save again, have to admitt the ME looks rly fluid and nice to watch on extended highlights, which is a big plus. And after a while im doing fine, which gives u that joy, but after that u start to think hmm is it not abit to easy now? Most AI opponents just look so passive in their plays, its almost like they dont do anything to counter u, to compete against u, to make it harder for u. 

That is an issue but im sure it alrdy has been mentioned enough times now, so guess not much wont change anyway, but just wanted to say it again lol. 

I made a small experiment with my save because some people are saying that too many goals and chances come from set pieces. So i counted the chances from my last 20 games on extended highlights. Overall 60% of highlights started with a set piece. 20% started with a set piece just as a starting point but the actual chance was produced way later. So 40% of the goals/chances still came from set pieces. I have to agree thats too much. Especially 15% come from throw ins (including these situations in which there is a short ball back to the thrower and then the chance is created). I dont know real numbers but certainly this number is way too high.

So although i still think some people are taking it completely out of proportion (by being too much fixated on this) i agree that has to be improved. In reality throw ins are way more static and useless.

If i see stuff like this happening in FM 25 i will def raise it as a bug. It's not Realistic at all IRL to face MoM GK every week in week out.

image.png.d898afdd976c79009263aecdec6a4219.pngimage.png.3cf3a2a4e748b2105c1ecbd6026297df.png

image.png

image.png

Another one.

image.png.31bad21d59b73d5abc4971310d8d490d.png

Edited by andu1

On 15/09/2024 at 11:41, Smoo said:

Goalkeepers in general are hilarious in FM24 The Most Polished Version Ever TM.

Edit: Second fracture in less than a year, both from catching a ball too.

polished.png

polished2.png

Petr Cech broke his skull in Oct 2006 and then broke his fibula in Nov 2007. Keepers are pretty vulnerable but used to never get hurt in matches ever until this past year.

Its more the animation that lets you down because it doesn't represent what actually happened. He could have fallen wrong if he got run into or misjudged the flight of the ball. But the game will make it look like he caught the ball but not show him landing funny.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/petr-cech/verletzungen/spieler/5658

On 15/09/2024 at 13:51, andu1 said:

If i see stuff like this happening in FM 25 i will def raise it as a bug. It's not Realistic at all IRL to face MoM GK every week in week out.

image.png.d898afdd976c79009263aecdec6a4219.pngimage.png.3cf3a2a4e748b2105c1ecbd6026297df.png

image.png

image.png

Another one.

image.png.31bad21d59b73d5abc4971310d8d490d.png

I know it's annoying, but if you are a very dominant side that still struggle to break down teams, that can happen if you don't get the first goal. Though this is not something against your team only, this goes both ways. I just had this game, where my team won despite being pushed back all game. Yes, we got a bit lucky and my goalkeeper had a great game, but we won it.

xsKrNHI.png

Does this happen every match? Of course not, statistically we should have lost this match, and we most likely would 9/10 times, but this is the time we got lucky.

If you see this happening against you often, what are you doing to counter it? Perhaps you can change it tactically by inviting the opposition higher up and create more space for your players to get into better chances. If all your players do is take difficult shots in tight positions, you are allowing the goalkeeper to have a good game. If certain players are underscoring their xG, perhaps you are asking things of them that they are unable to deal with? Looking at the opponent goalkeeper rating in isolation isn't really a good metric to make decisions on alone.

But if you think you are seeing bugs, then by all means, please report it and let SI investigate.

On 10/09/2024 at 13:51, KingCanary said:

Just to add to this, I think offsides may just be over represented in the game.

Small sample size but I just took a quick look at how many offsides Liverpool have had so far in my save this season. I didn't want the numbers to be warped by anything I might be doing as a player so chose an AI side that plays on the front foot and is often near the top of the table for offsides IRL. They are eight games in and have been caught offside 32 times, so averaging four times a game, leaving them on course to be flagged 152 times this season.

Looking at the Premier League statistics page, it suggests IRL that the record high for team offsides in the last decade was 108 by Southampton.

If that stats page for the competition in game showed total offsides it would be easier to compare a larger sample size but as it was I had to jump into every Liverpool match this season to manually find the total and don't fancy looking through an entire season. So it may just be my small sample size but it certainly feels like there are more offsides in game than in real life.

Yea.. there are too many offides.. i think i had at least 7 or 8 offside goals in 15 games.
The culprit seems to be a striker in the advanced forward role.... or playing a 2 striker formation like im doing right now.