Everyone wants new contracts

Hey everyone!

Not sure if this is a bug but I wanted to see if this is happening to anyone else but basically I got promoted to the Championship and nearly all of my starters are asking for new contracts and if I deny them to morale goes way down. Now usually I'll get one or two asking for new contracts but we're talking about nearly all the starters this has to be a bug no?

7 hours ago, Denis7 said:

Hey everyone!

Not sure if this is a bug but I wanted to see if this is happening to anyone else but basically I got promoted to the Championship and nearly all of my starters are asking for new contracts and if I deny them to morale goes way down. Now usually I'll get one or two asking for new contracts but we're talking about nearly all the starters this has to be a bug no?

Yeah, as @FrazT writes, they are now comparing themselves to the players in the league and then find they are underpaid. Now, that doesn't mean you need to give it to everyone, but if you take a look at what a player asking is paid and then look at a middle of the pack team in the Championship and a player with the similar expected playing time is paid, then that's what they see, or at least ballpark. If they are far below, they will want a wage increase. Then you just have to try to handle it and pay the ones who deserve it and either placate or get rid of the ones who are not worth it.

1 hour ago, XaW said:

Yeah, as @FrazT writes, they are now comparing themselves to the players in the league and then find they are underpaid. Now, that doesn't mean you need to give it to everyone, but if you take a look at what a player asking is paid and then look at a middle of the pack team in the Championship and a player with the similar expected playing time is paid, then that's what they see, or at least ballpark. If they are far below, they will want a wage increase. Then you just have to try to handle it and pay the ones who deserve it and either placate or get rid of the ones who are not worth it.

Is there a page where I can see the league averages in pay per position?

2 minutes ago, Denis7 said:

Is there a page where I can see the league averages in pay per position?

No, you just have to look at another team. I'd select one of the teams predicted to end in the middle of the table, and find a player there that matches the playing time.

It's getting beyond ridiculous in this years game.

Brought Davy Klaassen (aged 31) back to Ajax on a free in June 2024 after Inter barely played him with 20k p/w on 3 years with agreed playing time as Squad Player.

After 1 year with the team (season 2025/2026), he asks for a new contract. He played decent enough (just above 7.0) and made it into the seasons best eleven, so I figured he earned it. After all I was surprised how cheap I was able to get him.

Beginning of next season (June 2026), he complains about not getting enough playing time, even though he started 24 games and was subbed on an additional 16 times (most of them with more than 15mins left to play, signed contract as "Squad player"). So the nice boss I am I give him even more games. Few months later he is happy again, oh wait, he got to play more games and its already December 2026. Time for a new contract! :idiot:

I say no, lets talk at the end of the season, ofc not acceptable even though he has 2 more years on his current deal at 33 years of age after signing a second deal just 12 months ago! So obviously team throws a hissy fit. The guy is team leader and vice captain. If you want even more money, then don't accept the previous raise from 1 year ago! Btw he is 33 and regressing massively.

Oh yeah and personality: PROFESSIONAL :seagull:

Great professional he is. Guess that is the thank you for all the coaching courses I've been paying you..

Edited by BadanieLuck

There seems to be a problem which I only had in the Championship, not as much in the PL. Players were definitely asking for a lot more in the Championship than I could pay at Wrexham, I wrote a post about it on Steam (I think) which explained how my players were all demanding what is currently the wage standard at real life "Brentford". Paul Mullin was demanding 55k and I couldn´t afford that, had to sell him and he ended up rotting in some reserves for 35k a week.

In real life there are usually clauses indicating a new wage after a promotion but it´s extremely rare for players with 3+ years left of their contract to demand a new contract after promotion, Brentford only renewed two contracts upon promotion to the PL and none which had 3+ years left in them.

Once I got to the PL it changed, players were actually somewhat reasonable and I renewed as needed.

Signing a 5 year contract is both good and bad for most players, you ensure 5 years of a decent salary but you are also usually stuck with it until either the club decides to renew or you are sold.

Current payroll at Brentford ... https://www.spotrac.com/epl/brentford-fc/payroll/ ... in FM most of these players will demand a lot more after a couple of seasons and it´s non negotiable. Granted, not the best squad at all but cheap.

Once I got to the PL I had to let some players go, Cannon who was demanding 80k a week ..... and he was at most a decent first division player. Others were fine and some I bullied into submission :)

Others have pointed out the comparison with players promised the same amount of playing time in the league as a reason. Another could be due to one or more players receiving a pay rise as part of their contract, or a new player coming into the team and being paid closer to what a "normal" wage would be in the league for that type of player while your other players are still on their League 1 salaries.

I've had a similar issue with my Boro team after getting promoted to the EPL. Wages are gradually going up as I sign better players and have to pay them higher wages. Then all the other "Important Players" see that and all want similar amounts. It's a bit annoying, but not entirely unrealistic. It's something you have to budget for if you can, or just accept as a newly promoted team you simply won't have the financial muscle to compete in the league yet and this is one aspect of that.