How are transfer values calculated?

18 hours ago, Smoo said:

You're completely missing the point about Stutter, His £9m transfer fee is not what I'm complaining about. The problem is after he moves to Liverpool his valuation is £26m-£31m, two weeks later his valuation doubles to £63m-£77m. He has terrible potential ability, at best a League One player.

No I quite think you're missing the point about Stutter. He could have been valued and sold for more if he had a longer contract. Liverpool clearly thinks much more highly of him than Chelsea did and that value reflects it.

18 hours ago, Smoo said:

You're talking about the real world. Football Manager is not the real world.

News to me.

18 hours ago, Smoo said:

The difference in reputation between Chelsea and Liverpool, in game, is marginal. Add to that I've won a League Cup and two FA Cup's in two seasons.

Congrats?

18 hours ago, Smoo said:

And I know how the mechanics work.

So post a bug on the bug forum with specific details about how it's broken.

18 hours ago, Smoo said:

My first post in this thread was explaining how the AI has an artificially high transfer value, and you have to unsettle a player to get a more realistic valuation. The problem with this is it stagnates the transfer market. Many players will end up never leaving their clubs because they never become unsettled and the transfer value remains too high, so no one bids for them. I don't think I've ever seen Haaland leave Man City. In reality, he will very likely go to Real Madrid in a few years. All the while, the AI can unsettle your players very easily. And a new addition to this years game is player mutinies every 6 months, demanding you let your best player leave. When does this ever happen.

Or wait until their contract runs down or they fall out of favor with the club? If you want to buy everyone's best in form player you're going to have to pay up now.

Secondly you're a human. You're significantly more capable of thinking 2-3 game years down the road. You're upset that the AI might have a small advantage to compensate for its inability to think? Keeping hold of players is not difficult. Renew key player contracts before they reach two years left. If they're adamant about moving let them have their temper tantrum and move on. Everyone will get over it. And, if a team is that interested you can get them to pay over the odds for a player. I've not once had a mutiny. Are you walking into a PL club with no badges and no mental attributes? Sounds like the players don't respect you if they're causing issues.

Everyone good is linked to Real Madrid. Mbappe has been a Real Madrid player for 3 years if you listened to Marca. Just because Halaand doesn't leave City (which btw he has a personal connection to) doesn't mean the transfer market is broken. I've seen plenty of transfer activity in the games I've played.

On 26/01/2024 at 20:07, wazzaflow10 said:

Totally fair then. I don't expect it to be an A+ grade. There should be some let down of letting that kind of player go that caps the fan reaction. Not knowing your club's finances but if that turned the club a huge profit I would expect a B there. Especially considering you got a 50% next sale clause too! (I'd hope the board gave you an A+ on that). I've seen grades change over time as results of the team go up and down. I'd hope that if your team went on a nice little run or the funds were reinvested into the squad the grade would improve after the initial sting wore off.

And yeah its never really causes enough problems that I think I need to report anything immediately. Always just kind of whatever as long as I win that grade doesn't matter. The match grades are much more annoying when you win 2-0 or 3-0 and get a C because the fans expected 4+ goals or something. Just little things. But when I get back to playing 24 (took a hiatus while the scouting is bugged) I'll see if I can compile some reports for the dev team.

It should be an A now... Too bad I left the club before it happened.

MLfI0Fv.png

• 3 weeks later...

I just assumed the values set were always roughly what the club would sell them to you for, and that those values were heavily influenced by relations between the clubs.

Surprise, surprise, your club happens to have fantastic relations with itself, so the ballpark figures are notably lower for your own players.

Thought I had a bug in my save as I had 2 players in my squad valued at £0. Couldn't figure it out but concluded it was because of club and player reputation. Quite sure I'm correct when I say that, feel free to correct me though!

Background: Playing with a team called Fairford Town after downloading an extended English League database. They're a tiny club with awful facilities in everything.  Started in the English 9th tier and am currently about to start our 2nd season in the Vanarama National League -  the 5th tier. We're renting a stadium as ousr wasn't even good enough for the 6th tier. There's no history at all with this club and club rep is now around 2600. It was approximately 1300 when first starting the save.

For the past 3 seasons I noticed we had a player stuck on £0 valuation. I'd  get lots of bids for him of £0 but they were always from teams he didn't want to move to so it wasn't such a big deal. I don't know if the clubs a player was with previously impacts player rep, but he came up with  Stoke as a youth player which seems fairly good compared to our level of club.  For reference he's a real-life player called Ian Togo. We've just let him go to Macclesfield in the 7th tier as we have better players now. Obviously he's more valuable to them, and there's a new signing factor, he's suddenly worth £20-£190k.

More annoying was a Newgen we signed last season. Picked him up from an Irish amateur team called Home Farm and he was starting in midfield for us. He would have done this season too but I decided to let him go after he and his teammates were unhappy with me for not letting him move. I wanted to keep the squad harmony in tact in the end. We were getting £0 bids from teams 2 and 3 divisions above us. He was regarded as a star player for us, had 2 years remaining on his contract (part-time) and in-game it was saying he had a lot of potential to improve etc. He went to QPR in the Championship in the end and slotted into their U21 squad. His valuation is now £100k-£1m.

Like I said, thought it was bug, but delved into it and these 2 players had the lowest reputation of any of our players. First player rep was just under 1000 and still is, second one was just over 1000 but has immediately jumped to Home 1821, Current 2476 after moving.

Their reputation and ours played a huge part in all that by the looks of it.

I do find it a bit silly though, or paradoxical even. Putting what happened into a real-world kind of context, the second guy was famous enough to be known, wanted and assumedly scouted by Championship and League One clubs, yet his 'reputation' was the second lowest of all our players? He must have a reputation for these clubs to even be aware of him, and a pretty good one for them to want to sign him! Maybe they need to call 'reputation' something else? This siutuation with the second player was a bit of an immersion breaker for me.

Using this custom database and starting with a tiny club in it almost certain played a part in things, but I'm sure similar could be encountered in the standard game too. Found it all a bit disappointing. If you're good enough to be wanted by QPR, albeit their U21s, you really shouldn't have the lowest reputation and valuation in my squad. I've received small fees of around £10,000 for 2 worse players with less potential this summer in-game, and the most I could get for him is £0. Realistically he should be our record sale.

Edited by fat mole

Tranfer values are really confusing. My players values seem to crash before every transfer window leading to loads of pathetically small bids from big clubs that unsettle my players but I can't sell them as I'm getting offers of £5m for players that would cost me £70m+ to replace. I keep on getting it so I decided to keep track of a few of my players values over a few months. It has nothing to do with contract length or anything as all of these players have many years left on their contract and I guarantee their values will go up again after the transfer window.

It means I spend every transfer window just rejecting endless really low bids. Very frustrating.

image.png

image.png

Savio.png

Bergara.png

Edited by IWik8

On 01/03/2024 at 17:22, IWik8 said:

Tranfer values are really confusing. My players values seem to crash before every transfer window leading to loads of pathetically small bids from big clubs that unsettle my players but I can't sell them as I'm getting offers of £5m for players that would cost me £70m+ to replace. I keep on getting it so I decided to keep track of a few of my players values over a few months. It has nothing to do with contract length or anything as all of these players have many years left on their contract and I guarantee their values will go up again after the transfer window.

It means I spend every transfer window just rejecting endless really low bids. Very frustrating.

image.png

image.png

Savio.png

Bergara.png

I love these graphs. I was always intrigued why FM doesn’t include them as these would be such an obviously important datapoint.

I have actually suggested the inclusion of graphs recording financial data over time (transfer value, club value, etc.). I have suggested this two or three times over the years, but SI developers never took it on board…

Edited by phd_angel

• 3 months later...

This is a problem when one manages a small team! Big English teams buy all u20 talents from their teams. Keep them in the u20 squads never giving them any playing time! you can't buy them because their price tags are €100m+, and you can't loan them because they demand €1m a month (€10m/season).

In my save playing as Pro Vercelli, Milan and Inter hoard young players until they are too old! their values are €80m+ and require loan fees €1m+/month! add to this they always bid for my best players and unsettle them! they ask for higher wages which I can't afford!