How FM sets you up

How many times have you been killing a team with loads of shots in a game on target and suddenly the opposition keeper is completely unbeatable from any shot your team takes, and you end up with a draw only to find the team you're chasing for first place drew as well? It happens FAR TOO MUCH to be coincidence. In the same season the team I'm chasing loses, I lose. I draw they draw. I win they win. I've been 3 points behind them for nearly 20 games. It's a joke. This IS NOT coincidence.

Just now, Slink Shady said:

This IS NOT coincidence.

Correct. Once in a while is coincidences, if it's more then it's a trend that needs the manager to sort it out.

15 minutes ago, Slink Shady said:

How many times have you been killing a team with loads of shots in a game on target and suddenly the opposition keeper is completely unbeatable from any shot your team takes, and you end up with a draw only to find the team you're chasing for first place drew as well? It happens FAR TOO MUCH to be coincidence. In the same season the team I'm chasing loses, I lose. I draw they draw. I win they win. I've been 3 points behind them for nearly 20 games. It's a joke. This IS NOT coincidence.

Are you saying SI is deliberately trying to prevent you winning the title?

Not sure why they would do that.

If that started happening to me, I would try all sorts of things to stop it from happening, including putting a rocket up players, changing things in game etc.

12 hours ago, Slink Shady said:

What would disprove this theory for you, out of interest?

14 hours ago, Slink Shady said:

What is it then? 

Yeah, maybe I am seeing too much into it but it just happened for like 20 games. The pattern has broken now and I am 5 points behind, lol. Damn game riles you up now and again. Nevermind.

On 11/01/2024 at 20:17, starbugg said:

Are you saying SI is deliberately trying to prevent you winning the title?

Not sure why they would do that.

If that started happening to me, I would try all sorts of things to stop it from happening, including putting a rocket up players, changing things in game etc.

Not stop me winning so much but keep it interesting. If you run away with a league and your nearest opponent is 15 points behind you at the end of the season it can get a bit stale once the title is won with 4 or 5 matches still to play. Hey ho. I'm just sounding off I guess.

14 hours ago, NineCloudNine said:

It’s a coincidence.

Someone could base an entire thesis about cognitive biases on the claims by FM players to have spotted patterns that prove the game is rigged. 

Quite possibly. I think you mean confirmation bias though and I am quite probably a sufferer.

37 minutes ago, Slink Shady said:

Quite possibly. I think you mean confirmation bias though and I am quite probably a sufferer.

That and recency bias and availability bias and motivated reasoning :D. All of which we all do. It's just how our brains work.

On 11/01/2024 at 14:53, Slink Shady said:

Let me share a different view that in part agrees with you and in part agrees with others' opinions:

Yes, I've seen these incredible plots a lot and it is frustrating. Yet, some of this is the manager's (your) responsibility in making the right changes. And many changes take some time to come to fruition.

However, part of the problem also is that, the way FM replicates the problems that you create feels "scripted" because FM is limited in the range of patterns it can visually express

Edited by phd_angel

On 12/01/2024 at 22:16, Slink Shady said:

... Hey ho. I'm just sounding off I guess.

I know how you feel, the number of times playing in a cup final, I find a few of my star players ratings going down to below 6.2, I sub them and the next few players ratings fall, makes it feel scripted to me sometimes.

I don't think it is, but it makes you think.

20 hours ago, starbugg said:

I know how you feel, the number of times playing in a cup final, I find a few of my star players ratings going down to below 6.2, I sub them and the next few players ratings fall, makes it feel scripted to me sometimes.

I don't think it is, but it makes you think.

A 6.2 means the player is having a poor game, but probably hasn't made any blatant mistakes. Of course this could be due to having a bad day, but odds are that your team isn't in the game, especially if you have multiple players with low 6 ratings. So, just subbing out the player in that case generally won't solve the issue that your team as a whole is struggling in the game and as long as you keep struggling the rest of your team will drop in ratings as well because the game simply isn't going well.

Often a striker will start with dropping in ratings, because he isn't in the game, but if that's due to your wingers not being able to supply him, then the issue is not really with the striker. So, even if you sub the striker that most likely won't suddenly solve your winger issues, so there is a good chance that your wingers will also start dropping in ratings because they're not playing well either, it just takes a bit longer than for your striker. So, in a situation where your striker has a poor rating, but the players behind him that are supposed to supply him don't have spectacular ratings either the problem probably isn't your striker even if he has the lowest rating.

I know what you are saying but when it happens it is more targeted.

The team will be playing well, then my star striker, and only him, will all of a sudden be unable to hit a barn door despite having plenty of attempts. I sub him, the sub is playing OK, then my best defender performance will drop dramatically, and so on.

It only happens in some important games, I know the difference between poor management and games the match engine doesn't want me to win for some reason.

38 minutes ago, starbugg said:

I know what you are saying but when it happens it is more targeted.

The team will be playing well, then my star striker, and only him, will all of a sudden be unable to hit a barn door despite having plenty of attempts. I sub him, the sub is playing OK, then my best defender performance will drop dramatically, and so on.

It only happens in some important games, I know the difference between poor management and games the match engine doesn't want me to win for some reason.

probably has low pressure/important matches attribute and/or poor consistency.

1 hour ago, wazzaflow10 said:

probably has low pressure/important matches attribute and/or poor consistency.

Yes, all my star players have low pressure/important matches attribute and/or poor consistency (they haven't, I was being sarcastic)

15 hours ago, starbugg said:

Yes, all my star players have low pressure/important matches attribute and/or poor consistency (they haven't, I was being sarcastic)

Great so now we know its your tactics. I overheard your star striker thinks you're not fit to manage a paper route let alone a football team. (I don't think he was being sarcastic)