Why does FM not follow the real life rules for European Cup qualifying?

I've noticed in all UEFA club competitions that FM does not follow the qualifying rules in real life, and it's quite annoying for me and even a bit of a gamebreaker.

For instance: if the winner of the Champions League of last season qualifies for the league phase of the next CL via their domestic league, in real life the spot left open by the CLTH goes to the club which has the highest coefficient in the champions path. Ans if the winner of the Europa League qualifies via their domestic league, the spot left by the ELTH goes to the club with the highest coefficient overall in the qualifying stages.

Instead: FM appoints the spot left by the CLTH to the champion of the country 11th on the coefficient list, and the ELTH spot to the champion of country 12. And with those spots taken, you'd expect the champions of the countries 15 and 16 would automatically move to the play-offs of the champions path (replacing the champions of 11 and 12), but FM skips the champion of country 15, and the champions of 16 and 17 move to the play-offs!!

And that's just one example. In Europa League and Conference League similar things happen, especially with rebalancing the qualifying rounds.

Adding insult to injury, the game also doesn't use the correct qualifying method regarding the UEFA qualifying section for the European and World championships.

And as said, this ticks me of big time!

Is it possible for SI to adjust this in one of the updates, or are we forced to wait until FM25 and hope for the best SI fixes this?

1 hour ago, XaW said:

I was sure it was handled correctly in the game, but if you think it's not then post in here, with links to proof.

https://community.sigames.com/bugtracker/football-manager-2024-early-access-bugs-tracker/competition-rules-and-schedule/europe-competition-specific-issues/

Unfortunately, it isn't.

I have a game in which I am in 2037 now, and every season I monitored how the qualifying process was handled by the game. And not one year was done correctly.

In the current season, France obtained an extra CL-ticket because they ended 2nd in the year-list. France has 3 direct CL-places and one league-phase qualifying place. You would think that the team that ended 4th (thus playing in league-phase qualifying) would get that extra CL-spot and all teams below would be upgraded (5th place CL-qualifying instead of Europa League league phase etc.). The 4th placed team did get the direct CL-spot, but their place in qualifying was left empty, and as a result, France didn't get an extra team in Europe.

Result of that open spot was that the Portugese team in the league phase qualifying was upgraded from Q3 to the play-offs. That never happens in real life.

The extra team rule apparently only applies to the countries in the top 4, with 4 direct spots to the league phase of the CL.

I could make a bug report, but if one of the moderators could move this topic to the appropiate section that would be greatly appreciated. As for the proof, I can download my savefile, of post some screenshots.

1 hour ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

I would throw that over into the bugs forum and back it up with a link to the correct rules to support what you say. In the meantime you may be able to do some magic using the pre game editor to adjust things. 

As much as I love fiddling with the pregame editor, doing some magic on especially the European Cups would mean a complete build-up from scratch with no guarantee that will work because of some hardcoded elements.

16 minutes ago, Tobcoach said:

I could make a bug report, but if one of the moderators could move this topic to the appropiate section that would be greatly appreciated. As for the proof, I can download my savefile, of post some screenshots.

Unfortunately, the software doesn’t allow us to move posts there, sorry. That proof should be enough, I’d think.

13 minutes ago, XaW said:

Unfortunately, the software doesn’t allow us to move posts there, sorry. That proof should be enough, I’d think.

I understand. Will make a bug report, and copy/paste my opening post there, and will wait for further instructions as to the proof SI wants (savefile and/or screenshots).

Edited by Tobcoach

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately this wasn't fixed and it still broken in the latest update. e.g. Turkey finished 2nd in the first season just don't get an extra spot at all - indeed, they lost a spot they were meant to have in the Conference League! The logic is completely broken ouside the Top 4 leagues. It's very clearly either never been properly tested, or found and ignored, because it can be replicated every single time.

Edited by CLS