When will si releases news from the FM 25?

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to get an update from Miles, but somewhat disappointing that there were no screenshots of the graphics used. Would be great to see just a tiny something from the match engine or the newgen faces. Just need to be patient and wait for further news i guess :)

I think i got my hopes up too high with this quote from Miles in the blog post a year ago.

By this point that I’m sure that most of you are asking the same question – when can we see what this all looks like? 

https://www.footballmanager.com/news/future-football-manager

Can't lie, I was hoping the next dev update would contain a screenshot of the 3D match engine so we get a sneak peek of that, and I was also hoping we'd see what the aim is for the system requirements as this is a question which is now pretty much dominating the new posts in the PC advice thread.

But, I do like the look of what they've shown us of the new UI.  

Not sure how I feel about the Portal. I guess it will either be something people get used to and love, or either long for the old inbox days. Feels a bit FM touch to just from looking at it. The space being used quite poorly on the image below. Text boxes being cut off when there's plenty of room overall etc. It remind me of the vanilla version widgets on the in-match screen which have been a pain and step backwards imo since the redesign a few years ago (but also aware this is a WIP).

Screenshot%203_EN.jpg

So happy they've got rid of the email system. Was very antiquated. 

The chalkboard going is dissapointing (even though it was extremely awkward to use) but as long as the data in the data hub is consistent and correct and insightful it should be fine. Basically let us see detailed data in the data hub. 

35 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Touchline shouts gone?

That's me uninterested for now, until we can see how the manager can affect the game from the sideline when watching the match.

Yeah, my initial thoughts were how as a manager can you influence the game without shouts? I mean there is the obvious change/tweek tactics etc but sometimes, when watching the game you can see that you are playing right just need to motivate the players. A little confused as to how this will happen now. Although, it hasn’t always been there - I have played plenty of versions/years without it in - maybe just take some time to get used to it again

38 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Touchline shouts gone?

That's me uninterested for now, until we can see how the manager can affect the game from the sideline when watching the match.

I'm the opposite view here. Touchline shouts in my view are fundamentally broken and have been since brought into the game in my view. Because as the piece admits the effectiveness is blunted if you have to wait for a window to be able to use them when in real life managers don't have to wait to send a message. And unless you hit pause a lot there is often a situation where you click a shout the morale impact has to wait for an ongoing highlight to finish. And so what was the "right" shout a moment ago completely backfires because the game doesn't instantly transmit its effect until after a highlight is finished.

A few initial observations from me:

Great: I love that things are being purged. Especially modes/features that have not been used widely. It’s important to reduce waste and focus on the areas that are important. I hope this also extends to tired parts of the gameplay itself - it’s fine to get rid of things. 

Not so great: The same icons such as the heart for fitness are still being used. This is a bit of a worry as I thought it was a complete UI revamp. At the moment it still feels very much like FM (a good and a bad thing) and the heart was a recent addition that never seemed as good as just having a percentage indicator there - especially as using numbers (50%, 100% fit) is common football vernacular. Hopefully there will be an opportunity to revisit all icons as some are tired and still hark back to older UX.

I’m more than happy to come to the studio for some UI/UX testing. 

53 minutes ago, DP said:

A few initial observations from me:

Great: I love that things are being purged. Especially modes/features that have not been used widely. It’s important to reduce waste and focus on the areas that are important. I hope this also extends to tired parts of the gameplay itself - it’s fine to get rid of things. 

Not so great: The same icons such as the heart for fitness are still being used. This is a bit of a worry as I thought it was a complete UI revamp. At the moment it still feels very much like FM (a good and a bad thing) and the heart was a recent addition that never seemed as good as just having a percentage indicator there - especially as using numbers (50%, 100% fit) is common football vernacular. Hopefully there will be an opportunity to revisit all icons as some are tired and still hark back to older UX.

I’m more than happy to come to the studio for some UI/UX testing. 

I believe the justification for this was that ''well in real life players don't come with a fitness % that you can see' and this is a football management simulation''. Which is fine. But in real life you'd get to see the players day in day out, notice their signs of fatigue. You'd be able to have a conversation with coaches and medical staff who could give you detailed info on their status. During a game you would be able to see a player blowing and their signs of fatigue. We get a shaded heart that (I think) has about 5 intergers/stages to it. I feel like a player going from 50% to 40% in real life would be very noticeable but we are only tooled with being able to see them go from half heart (50%) to semi half heart (25%) which is a huge jump. There's also the issue of the heart format really not being user friendly or accessible for quick glances and/or for people with visual impairments. 

Edited by Domoboy23

With the Versus Mode gone(?)/replaced/in discussion (did not quite get it  well it is more clear in original language), let's just hope local multiplayer (aka hot seat) will still be a thing (to me, it is what's missing in a lot of other sports management sims - and also how i have been playing the game for the last 25 year)

Edited by Titou

4 minutes ago, Boycott said:

My main concern of the UI screenshots is not that getting rid of the old inbox system is a mistake (I hope this new portal probably will streamline a lot of the clunkiness out of the day to day non-match stuff). It's that it looks a little like a mobile app design. I guess that's down to a general pet peeve of mine how websites and apps all look the same to be designed for mobile and maybe I'm seeing something that won't be there in the end. 

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. The feel is very much ''mobile app design football game'' rather than a Football Management spreadsheet simulation via a laptop/computer.

2 minutes ago, gunner86 said:

IMG_2031.jpeg
One assist and 2 goals in a 2-1 win 🤔

It’s just from a design wireframe. There’s no logic behind the screenshots - albeit they could have used a better example considering this is being shared with everyone. 

4 minutes ago, gunner86 said:

IMG_2031.jpeg
One assist and 2 goals in a 2-1 win 🤔

Another year AF is overpowered but this year he/she has exceeded all expectations. :lol: 

* He/She because this year we will have women's leagues.

The challenge with UI/UX now is it'll likely need to work across multiple devices, being one responsive build - making future changes to the game much easier. Problem with that is it doesn't always look the best it should on a particular device, I'd imagine it'll be designed and tested as mobile-first too, scaling up to PC/Mac desktop last. It'll also need to be accessible for a wider audience but I'd personally like to the Skin to come with Dark, Light, Transparent and High Contrast options plus densities like Comfy and Compact - basically more customisable options out-of-the-box which means you can fill the space better on whatever device you decide to play it on, and it's more accessible to people with hidden disabilities.

Also, you are never making a Skin that everyone will love :D So long as the PC/Mac version can be modded, we'll be fine!

For what it's worth, I don't think it looks too bad for an initial peek. One bug bearer of mine, and it's only little, but I want the player faces on the "squad" strip at the bottom on the match screen so it's more personal, plus you already have the kits displayed on the same screen within the formation panels, no reason to repeat.

Edited by stevemc

1 hour ago, Domoboy23 said:

I noticed that the items on the left have time allocated to them.   (I'm assuming there is no logic behind the times at the moment as I don't see how confirming match squad would take 7hrs) I also noticed that in the calendar it has things scheduled "listed like transfer" and "contract"I wonder if that means that time is going to pass in game as we carry out these tasks limiting when and how many tasks we can carry out in an in game day.  
Screenshot%203_EN.jpg

Edited by cps_1900

Still very surreal knowing that we're about to get a proper and actual sequel to Football Manager, after many many many years we've waited. Especially with all the hype the SI team have been building.

I'm definitely disappointed we didn't get any snips of the new match engine, one  of the things majority of us was looking forward to seeing but I'm not going to complain about it.

Hope we get more news in the coming weeks

Edited by Birdman10piyu

8 minutes ago, DP said:

It’s just from a design wireframe. There’s no logic behind the screenshots - albeit they could have used a better example considering this is being shared with everyone. 

Yeah I get it. But like you say, this is your first look, leave out silly errors.

7 minutes ago, dzek said:

Another year AF is overpowered but this year he/she has exceeded all expectations. :lol: 

* He/She because this year we will have women's leagues.

Based on the screenshots, it a Manchester City Advanced forward aka probably Erling Haaland. Wouldn't be too worried in this case. *

Two main things seem to be there: the 2D match engine and the pitch not being there middle of nothing make the interface look way better. Hoping both of these also being in the main version. The match screen used to be both nice looking and customizable in the past and hopefully this will be back on FM 2025.

* = yeah, I do realize it was a joke. 

Was also hoping the names of positions and things such as Striker (SC) may be getting an overhaul. 

So far the UI/UX looks like it’s more ‘evolution’ than ‘revolution’ from the clues we’ve seen so far, though granted it’s early days. 

17 minutes ago, cps_1900 said:

My taking of it was that it's actually the deadlines etc.

For e.g Brentford game is in 8 hours. In 1 hour you will attend a press conference.  7 hours you must confirm the squad. In 8 hours the game kicks off etc.

It would make more sense however, to list them as 09:00, 15:00, 16:00 etc if it is meant to act as an itinerary.

My problem with it all is the colours. Why can't they put normal colors ? I mean, all this purple, weird kind of blue... I doubt people like it. I know skinners can change it rapidly, but I really do miss the simplicity of old FMs, with normal colours like white, black, etc.. instead of all this purple, weird blue..

From FM 08 : r/footballmanagergames

Edited by Rodrigogc

1 minute ago, Rodrigogc said:

My problem with it all is the colours. Why can't they put normal colors ? I mean, all this purple, weird kind of blues... I doubt people like it. I know skinners can change it rapidly, but I really do miss the simplicity of old FMs, with normal colours like white, black, etc.. instead of all this purple, weird blues..

Instalando Update Football Manager 2008 - YouTube

Well imo, this one just looks old, and not that great nowadays, because of the color scheme (among other things).

General design trends have shifted, and you can really tell if you look at some 10+ year old websites, that just don't look that good.

Look at the forums, they've changed over the years. It's more modern now.

Nowadays the trend is simplicity. In terms of shapes, colors, everything. The screenshot that you posted is the complete opposite.

Also, not to mention that a lot of people just prefer "dark mode", whether it's for websites/apps, or games like FM. 
How many websites had dark mode, let's say in 2015? Almost none.
Nowadays, every app has it. Youtube, Spotify, SI forums, X/Twitter...

People like it, people used all kinds of extensions to have websites in dark mode, and now developers are finally adding the ability for everyone to use it without any addons.

What we really need is to have options. Option for dark and light mode would be nice, but most importantly an option to customize things to your own liking (like we do have now, where anyone can learn how to edit files and customize a skin to their own liking).

It looks decent for a design doc, it's pretty clean looking.

"Design team wanted to create something that would help to build a sense of exploration for every player to reveal the depth and detail of Football Manager."

I agree this should be the aim, the sense of exploration is something that hasn't been there since the early FM named titles. In CM97/98 I remember getting so sucked in to the happenings around the world, I'd keep tabs on the European Golden Boot and keep an eye on Rune Lange, a Norwegian striker who was outscoring everyone in Europe in my game. The portal is getting closer to a more interesting default screen but I think it could do with some more world action or theming, e.g. have a special portal view during International Tournaments or Champions League knockout nights. Football Managers are fans too, they want to keep up with the world going on around them.

Edited by HHUK

10 minutes ago, Rodrigogc said:

My problem with it all is the colours. Why can't they put normal colors ? I mean, all this purple, weird kind of blue... I doubt people like it. I know skinners can change it rapidly, but I really do miss the simplicity of old FMs, with normal colours like white, black, etc.. instead of all this purple, weird blue..

[spoiler]From FM 08 : r/footballmanagergames[/spoiler]

No please, don't bring back blinding white backgrounds. Hurt my eyes so much.

1 minuto atrás, (sic) disse:

What we really need is to have options. Option for dark and light mode would be nice, but most importantly an option to customize things to your own liking (like we do have now, where anyone can learn how to edit files and customize a skin to their own liking).

100% this. Plus a litlle bit of club and comp. colors.

7 minutos atrás, -Jef- disse:

No please, don't bring back blinding white backgrounds. Hurt my eyes so much.

White is just an example of normal colours. It can be black, grey... 

Option for dark and light mode would be the way to go, as mentioned above. The challenge is to create an immersive UI while keeping it simple. 

Since it is impossible to please everyone with a skin, in my opinion they should opt for more standardized colours, and let people customize them as they like. I understand people who like it, but all this purple, blue to me feels like I'm playing a Tron Game instead of a point and click football simulator.

Edited by Rodrigogc

6 minutes ago, HHUK said:

It looks decent for a design doc, it's pretty clean looking.

"Design team wanted to create something that would help to build a sense of exploration for every player to reveal the depth and detail of Football Manager."

I agree this should be the aim, the sense of exploration is something that hasn't been there since the early FM named titles. In CM97/98 I remember getting so sucked in to the happenings around the world, I'd keep tabs on the European Golden Boot and keep an eye on Rune Lange, a Norwegian striker who was outscoring everyone in Europe in my game. The portal is getting closer to a more interesting default screen but I think it could do with some more world action or theming, e.g. have a special portal view during International Tournaments or Champions League knockout nights. Football Managers are fans too, they want to keep up with the world going on around them.

If they manage to get the portal to do this (having more immersion and involvement in the rest of your FM save world) then that's a huge step. Immersion is so important.

1 hour ago, Boycott said:

My main concern of the UI screenshots is not that getting rid of the old inbox system is a mistake (I hope this new portal probably will streamline a lot of the clunkiness out of the day to day non-match stuff). It's that it looks a little like a mobile app design. I guess that's down to a general pet peeve of mine how websites and apps all look the same to be designed for mobile and maybe I'm seeing something that won't be there in the end. 

This was my very first thought when I saw the screenshots, it looks like a mobile phone game. 

13 minutes ago, PequenoGenio said:

100% this. Plus a litlle bit of club and comp. colors.

Club and competition colours should be very prominent in the UI. Why SI have moved away from that to a more simple and to be honest boring colour scheme is something only they can answer. The game looks and feels the same way if your managing Real Madrid as it does Oxford United. 

23 minutes ago, Jonthedon26 said:

This was my very first thought when I saw the screenshots, it looks like a mobile phone game. 

And sadly I guess this is the direction FM is heading... :( 

I hope I am wrong though.

Edited by Carambau

19 minutes ago, Carambau said:

And sadly I guess this is the direction FM is heading... :( 

I'm really not a fan of mobile/console first UI design. The mouse and keyboard experience is (or should be) significantly different from controller or touchscreen and UIs that are mobile focused always feel dumbed down on PC.  

However, this is just a preliminary look at a couple of screens and we'll need to see the game in action to really get an indication of how it's going to work.  

On that subject, I hope that for FM25 SI produce in-depth gameplay videos in the run-up to the release and not their usual 'Miles waffling marketing spiel for half an hour' with hardly any actual in-game footage and no let's play type footage. Show not tell.  Especially important for FM25.

Edited by rp1966