Euro 2024 Squad Announcements

Rob1981

5 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Yeah, again.  Nagelsmann is gonna be disappointed if he thinks he can take four keepers.  Here are the amended tournament regs after they approved the increase to 26-man squads:
https://editorial.uefa.com/resources/028d-1acc90ff9b17-34d982978a20-1000/regulations_of_uefa_european_football_championship_2022-24_amendments_20240503114432.pdf

48.01 states "Three of these 23 to 26 players must be goalkeepers."

Pretty sure it means at least 3 GKs instead only 3, I may be wrong.

In the last World Cup, Iran, Switzerland, and Tunisia named 4 GKs out of the 26 squad players (or in Iran's case - out of 25), and all of them are listed as GKs. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Yeah, again.  I think Nagelsmann is gonna be disappointed if he thinks he can take four keepers.  Here are the amended tournament regs after they approved the increase to 26-man squads:
https://editorial.uefa.com/resources/028d-1acc90ff9b17-34d982978a20-1000/regulations_of_uefa_european_football_championship_2022-24_amendments_20240503114432.pdf

48.01 states "Three of these 23 to 26 players must be goalkeepers."

Unless it means a minimum of three goalkeepers :confused:

But the rules don't say that, and nobody has ever taken four keepers to a tournament before.

I always thought the same as you - three and only three could be named.

19 minutes ago, adhikapp said:

Pretty sure it means at least 3 GKs instead only 3, I may be wrong.

In the last World Cup, Iran, Switzerland, and Tunisia named 4 GKs out of the 26 squad players (or in Iran's case - out of 25), and all of them are listed as GKs. 

Ah ok :D

Posted (edited)

GNuAZUrXcAE-tyU?format=jpg

That's kind of...poor up front?

They've got so many of those hybrids for defensive right side of the pitch. :D

Wait...Zirkzee is not on the list? What? Why? How? Koeman is just an imbecile, tbh.

Edited by GunmaN1905

12 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

GNuAZUrXcAE-tyU?format=jpg

That's kind of...poor up front?

They've got so many of those hybrids for defensive right side of the pitch. :D

Wait...Zirkzee is not on the list? What? Why? How? Koeman is just an imbecile, tbh.

"Zirkwho? I haven't seen anyone with that name in the Eredivisie" Koeman probably.

Van Dijk, De Ligt, van de Ven, Aké is a quality collection of central defenders. Holland quietly starting to produce some good players again. They just need some top forwards and someone to help De Jong out

2 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Zirkzee's injured. Went off vs. Napoli. He had the look of someone who knew he wasn't going to make the Euros squad.

I missed that, didn't watch the second half.

But he is still to make an appearance for senior NT. I don't think he would've been called up, either way.

CDN media

- Only 25 Players named. He did this at too at the World Cup, eventually adding Marcus Thuram in the end.

- Lucas Hernandez injured

- And KANTE! Who would've thought that?

Posted (edited)

Do the Netherlands play with wingbacks? Frimpong and Maatsen could be an excellent duo there although I expect it will actually be Dumfries and Blind instead.

Edited by Darius1998

Just now, Darius1998 said:

Do the Netherlands play with wingbacks? Frimpong and Maatsen could be an excellent duo there although I expect it will actually be Dumfries and Blind instead.

Don't you disrespect NT Dumfries. :D

Although Frimpong should definitely start. They do switch between 343 and 433.

3 minutes ago, adhikapp said:

- Only 25 Players named. He did this at too at the World Cup, eventually adding Marcus Thuram in the end.

- Lucas Hernandez injured

- And KANTE! Who would've thought that?

Maignan

Kounde-Pavard/Konate-Saliba-Theo

Tchouameni-Rabiot/Camavinga

Dembele/Coman-Griezmann-Mbappe

Giroud/Thuram

I expect that to be the starting lineup.

Surprised to see Kante in the French squad, thought he retired? 

On paper, they look like the team to beat.

@Rob1981 If we win our group and Frenchies win theres, does that mean we won't see England vs France until the final?

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

@Rob1981 If we win our group and Frenchies win theres, does that mean we won't see England vs France until the final?

Unfortunately not. If we both win our groups we could meet France in the semis. But potentially avoid Portugal until the final.

The draw has been relatively kind though, at least until the semis. The 24-team format throws up various imbalances but Group C is a good group to be in. The Group C winner only has to play a third place team in the R16 and not a group runner up. And then if they win their R16 ties the Group C and Group F winners still only have to play the winner out of two runners-up in the QF. Whereas the other four group winners start coming up against each other.

Edited by Rob1981

1 hour ago, arenaross said:

Get the oxygen tent out. Call up Trevor Sinclair! 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cyrl7edpyjeo

Harry Kane will miss Bayern Munich's final game of the Bundesliga season at Hoffenheim on Saturday because of an ongoing back injury.

Kane, 30, has not played since he was substituted in Bayern's Champions League semi-final second leg defeat at Real Madrid on 8 May.

The German side were winning 1-0 at the Bernabeu when Kane was withdrawn and conceded two late goals to go out of the competition.

The striker's absence from Bayern's season finale may concern England manager Gareth Southgate, who is preparing to name his preliminary squad for this summer's European Championship on Tuesday.

Bayern boss Thomas Tuchel said: "Harry is receiving treatment with his personal doctor - he's no longer here and won't travel to Hoffenheim.

"It was really a borderline decision in Madrid. We tried it with treatment and it got worse with every move that he made, so there was no chance for him participating in practice."

Kane has scored 44 goals in 45 appearances in all competitions for Bayern since joining from Tottenham last summer.

Bayern have failed to win the Bundesliga for the first time in 12 years but can secure second place behind champions Bayer Leverkusen with victory at Hoffenheim.

A back injury. How worrying is that?

Chance for Modric to play at a fifth Euros. Since Croatia play before Portugal he is probably going to draw level with Cristiano Ronaldo here, only for Ronaldo to go and play in his sixth(!) a few days later.

He still makes their squad and I think he'll end up in their 26 again. I don't know if he makes their XI over Antonio Silva but I think it's safe to say he'll make an appearance at some point 

On 16/05/2024 at 17:54, Muttley84 said:

Nagelsmann said having four keepers was crucial for spreading the workload during the tournament.
"We have nominated four goalkeepers and we will go with four to the tournament. Nuebel has deserved the nomination," Nagelsmann said.
Why four keepers? You can have goalkeepers in training as well and Manuel (Neuer) does not always have to do it. We can control training and spread the load.
"That means 22 infield players. I can live with that very well. We can still do proper training with at least 20 infield players if some are missing."
Taken from Reuters.

Couldn’t they just take a younger or older keeper as not part of the official squad and still have the extra outfield player. Either way the 4th choice isn’t going to play :D 

Looking at our defensive options going into Euros, not trying more players and combinations at CB/LB across 23/24 isn’t going to look well in a few weeks.

Maguire/Stones going to go into rusty, RB is reliant on Walker mostly who must be patched up loads considering the amount he’s played this season then LB, well less said the better.

On 16/05/2024 at 23:34, Rob1981 said:

Never too early for permutations.

I've worked them out already. Spoilers:

Beat Scotland 2nd round, Italy and France in quarters and semis for REVENGE. And then Germany in their own backyard in the final because why not. Simple. Perfect.

6 minutes ago, Constantine said:

Vida's indestructible.

Yeah. That man never gives up. I don't think he'll play much as and is far from his best, but he's very important for the team as a person. Very influential in the dressing room and he's seen it all. Playing well for AEK as well. 

37 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Beat Scotland 2nd round, Italy and France in quarters and semis for REVENGE. And then Germany in their own backyard in the final because why not. Simple. Perfect.

I prefer the option where France stumble against Netherlands and finish second in their group. Then France, Portugal, Germany and Spain are all in the other half of the draw.

Kroos has confirmed that he will retire from football after the tournament. Similar to Lahm in that he can still play for a while but wants to go out while he is still good.

France are going to win this. But i think we will see Germany having a much improved tournament then in recent times. Italy won't do much. Spain are strong but not as strong as England but we have Gareth Southgate so thats a negative. 

Is it the most open Euros ever?

Coming thick and fast now... added a few more squads to the OP.

• Croatia
  • England
  • Slovenia
  • Portugal

I think Scotland's squad is due to "drop" this afternoon.

1 hour ago, oche balboa said:

France are going to win this. But i think we will see Germany having a much improved tournament then in recent times. Italy won't do much. Spain are strong but not as strong as England but we have Gareth Southgate so thats a negative. 

Is it the most open Euros ever?

France is the favourites, but then so were they in 2020. Mbappe will want to deliver a EURO before he leaves France, of course. Probably the last tournament we'll see Griezmann operate at a world-class-ish level as well.

I think Spain can surprise people. Not a fan of Southgate's squad nor do I think he'll use it properly (incoming Foden out wide again). Germany looking good for sure. Kroos can have a fairy-tale ending to his career with both UCL and EURO (the last thing he hasn't won).

Posted (edited)

Seriously? :D

image.png.cb9b96b93d6a6cbeb0884264c26e9392.png

I mean I knew he was really old, but I guess I thought he was still only 38-39 or something.  He's older than two of the managers ffs.

Edited by Rob1981