CL format/finance question

Since playing in the new format CL, I've noticed that there is a considerable fee awarded for playing in the first play-off round after the league phase (for teams finishing 9-24). From memory it's something like £8 million.

Do teams who finish 1-8 also get awarded this cash, or is it just for teams who appear in the play-off round? I'm trying to work out if it is actually preferable to finish 9-24 so that you can get some extra cash from the extra games played.

It doesn't seems like this is paid to the 1-8 teams, at least as far as I can tell from the rules, BUT you do get £2.4m per win in the group stage and ~£800k for a draw. So throwing a few matches might not pay. Also, I think 1-8 will get a higher coefficient for future seasons and thus getting potential easier draws in future group stages. Also, I don't know if £10m is this important for teams competing in the knockout rounds in the CL?

Thanks very much.

Yeah fair points. And obviously there is the risk that you lose in the play-off round and miss out on future potential earnings/glory...