Southgate: Episode IV - A New Hope

Rob1981

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Haguey said:

Have to appreciate your Arsenal levels of anti-jinx here Gunman ;)

There's no anti-jinx, I've genuinely accepted England is lifting the trophy and I've reached the stage of acceptance. No point in fighting it.

11 hours ago, Barry Cartman said:

Spain played a final with 6 CMs, of course they were boring :D 

they won that final 4-0 :D 

i do agree their matches were largely boring but imo it was mostly because teams defended deep against them and they didn't have wingers like nico and yamal like they have today 

12 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

If we talk strictly about performance in this tournament.

Simon > Pickford - neither are convincing, but Simon had more good saves.
Carvajal > Walker - Walker looks past it despite some good moments, Carvajal has been great.
Le Normand < Stones - Stones looked like he's not fully fit early one, but has grown into it and played great against Netherlands.
Laporte < Guehi - Guehi has been the biggest surprise and England fans can only be thankful Maguire got injured.
Cucurella > Trippier - Cucurella looks like a different player than at Chelsea (most of them do), Trippier has easily be the worst starter for England.
Rodri > Rice - If Spain wins, Rodri simply must win ballon. Rice is doing his job for the most part, but is nowhere near Rodri's level.
Fabian > Mainoo - Fabian has been amazing, Mainoo has been great considering the expectations, but again, nowhere near Fabian.
Olmo > Bellingham - Bellingham scored two, but hasn't done much other than that. Olmo has been great whenever he played.
Yamal < Saka - Saka has arguably been England's best player and the only one trying to make something happen during turgid phases.
Nico > Foden - Both incosistent with periods of disappearance, but Nico was less inconsistent.
Morata < Kane - I'm still going to give it to Kane just because even on his best day, Morata is useless.

Overall, England has way more untapped potential, I don't think anyone in Spain's starting lineup can play much better.

I think Morata has been really good for Spain. His hold up play has been great and allowed Spain an outlet when under pressure. Feels he’s offered a lot more to Spain in their play than Kane has, rest I agree with.

Ronay is one of those joining a weird selection of journos who will happily say ETH isn't very good and that Man Utd still picked up results against sides with less resources in spite of him*, and when England do the same it's because Southgate has created a culture where lucky stuff happens, so is it really luck?

To take an example from that article, Watkins coming on in the 81st minute and scoring is one in the eye for fans saying Watkins hasnt been given enough minutes. But coming on and scoring with the only onside shot in the second half is surely more an argument for the detractors, because maybe we create more if he's brought on earlier/in other games?

*possible, but unlikely, that he hasn't made this argument at some point in his columns or Football Weekly appearances

Edited by The_jagster

55 minutes ago, TalkSport said:

I think Morata has been really good for Spain. His hold up play has been great and allowed Spain an outlet when under pressure. Feels he’s offered a lot more to Spain in their play than Kane has, rest I agree with.

I don't think he's been great at all, been their clear weak link IMO.

34 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

Ronay is one of those joining a weird selection of journos who will happily say ETH isn't very good and that Man Utd still picked up results against sides with less resources in spite of him*, and when England do the same it's because Southgate has created a culture where lucky stuff happens, so is it really luck?

To take an example from that article, Watkins coming on in the 81st minute and scoring is one in the eye for fans saying Watkins hasnt been given enough minutes. But coming on and scoring with the only onside shot in the second half is surely more an argument for the detractors, because maybe we create more if he's brought on earlier/in other games?

*possible, but unlikely, that he hasn't made this argument at some point in his columns or Football Weekly appearances

Toney coming on in the 94th minute similar. That was weird af.

Edited by Baptista_8

31 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

I don't think he's been great at all, been their clear weak link IMO.

Boring reply but I'd say he's been in the middle of what you and Pearcey says.

Wouldn't call him really good but he's added more to Spain than Kane has for England. If nothing else, he's at least occupying the defence and pressing well, rather than being stuck in the holding midfield role for no apparent reason.

1 hour ago, The_jagster said:

Odd to conclude there's any inconsistency between thinking that two finals and a semi final in four tournaments is an exceptionally good return for England , whilst disagreeing that this season's return of eighth place and bottom of a Champions League group featuring FC Copenhagen and Galatasaray represents "a culture where lucky stuff happens" for Man Utd....

1 minute ago, enigmatic said:

Odd to conclude there's any inconsistency between thinking that two finals and a semi final in four tournaments is an exceptionally good return for England , whilst disagreeing that this season's return of eighth place and bottom of a Champions League group featuring FC Copenhagen and Galatasaray represents "a culture where lucky stuff happens" for Man Utd....

Utd at least won their cup...

1 minute ago, enigmatic said:

And yet ETH has won infinitely more trophies in that time while England got relegated from a Nations League group losing 4-0 at home to Hungary in the process.

18 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

And yet ETH has won infinitely more trophies in that time while England got relegated from a Nations League group losing 4-0 at home to Hungary in the process.

I can see how somebody completely unfamiliar with football might think that the Nations League sounds like a worse thing to fail in than the Premier League or Champions League, but I wouldn't expect sports journalists to base their opinions on such a misconception.

Which is all beside the point really because nobody actually attacked Ten Hag for relying on a "culture of luck" and not dominating opponents, they attacked his teams for being absymal and racking up exceptional number of defeats,.

That's not remotely similar to the popular "Gareth has won more knockout games than all his predecessors despite Gareth" angle

Posted (edited)

International managers always have their reputation defined by these fine margins. Comes down to a handful of odd moments in a couple of key games and that is how you’re remembered. A substitute scores and it looks like a masterstroke. If not, you are the guy that wasted the opportunity because you made the wrong call. When the truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

For a club manager, the luck usually evens out over a 38-game season. And certainly over a tenure of 2-3 years. You generally get the reputation you deserve in the end.

Edited by Rob1981

Torn between wanting England to win so Southgate gets a lifetime contract (a bit like ten Hag) vs the national mourning we'll see borne out if you fail dismally again as a result of turgid tactics. Definitely don't want to see Klopp manage England so leaning towards the former.

We bored our way through another tournament and lost to the first decent team because we were boring and safe and only took a risk and made a change when we were behind, give the man another contract simply because we made semis and finals though, lets ignore the context and the absolutely turgid performances.

2 minutes ago, Bigwig said:

He’s had that typed up for days. 

I actually kept thinking about it during the game and typed after the final whistle.

Got really annoyed by his tactics straight from 1978.

Managerial blind spots no.1 - legendary past it players.

Example - Harry Kane.  Great forward and finisher but lacking recent tournament form and coming off a heavy season.  He offers zero movement. and a reduction in shape by dropping deep that he cannot replace as he's simply not fit or fast enough to spear the oppo defence.  Has become a poacher (aka a dinosaur) in modern football very much akin to Cristiano Ronaldo and is most useful to team that generate tap-ins.  A flat-track bully perhaps.

A complete blind spot to Southgate for two consecutive tournaments and a campaign killer at the tip of a squad better than Spain's.  The best signing Man Utd never made.  

Another final, another Southgate disasterclass

Would rather not see England in finals if it meant that we lose them in a pathetic manner.

Kane clearly not fit, Walker obviously a liability. So Southgate starts both and plays the latter for 90 minutes.

What a waste of a tournament. Crap manager.

1 minute ago, ajw10 said:

Kane clearly not fit, Walker obviously a liability. So Southgate starts both and plays the latter for 90 minutes.

Kane clearly picked on reputation alone.  It's so easily done/overlooked.  Has been brilliant, but emphasis in has been.

Actually will probably do well again for Bayern over a season with such a dominant team.  But does not have the legs/stamina/pace to add on an England schedule on top.  He's not there physically.  Not his fault, it's just time/age/sharpness, it does not live at elite level forever across 60-games seasons at that age.  He's done for Engalnd (unless we play Malta or San Marino qualifiers) but Southgate did not have the balls for the biggest of big decisions,

Expect Walker will retire after this. So (new) manager has to start building a side that works with Trent at right back. Tucking into midfield (assuming Slot continues doing this). 

If we continue with Kane up front too then we need runners. But then what do you do with Foden AND Jude. I know everyone wants them as 8's or Jude as 8 and Foden 10 but we literally have seen we don't have the holding midfielder to facilitate that

3 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Expect Walker will retire after this. So (new) manager has to start building a side that works with Trent at right back. Tucking into midfield (assuming Slot continues doing this). 

Trent is Liverpool and Sky hype. 

Just now, ajw10 said:

Trent is great, Ben White is also great.

Southgate will stay and pick Trippier

Except he's not.  Proven bad defender and midfielder.  Knocking a long pass is alone not a good player. 

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Robson 07 said:

Kane clearly picked on reputation alone.  It's so easily done/overlooked.  Has been brilliant, but emphasis in has been.

Actually will probably do well again for Bayern over a season with such a dominant team.  But does not have the legs/stamina/pace to add on an England schedule on top.  He's not there physically.  Not his fault, it's just time/age/sharpness, it does not live at elite level forever across 60-games seasons at that age.  He's done for Engalnd (unless we play Malta or San Marino qualifiers) but Southgate did not have the balls for the biggest of big decisions,

Kane was obviously still carrying an injury. And he's lost a yard of pace and what made him really successful in an England shirt he didn't really have (runners playing off him). 

I don't mind Kane playing but we need to start looking for alternatives in those games against minnows.

Hard to say after he’s taken us to two finals but Southgate really needs to go. How he’s got such a talented group of players playing the way they do is embarrassing. Time to let a proper manager take charge and give the players the guidance that they deserve.

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

Kane was obviously still carrying an injury. And he's lost a yard of pace and what made him really successful in an England shirt he didn't really have (runners playing off him). 

I don't mind Kane playing but we need to start looking for alternatives in those games against minnows.

Was he?  Looked like regulation Kane to me.  Same as.

Either way, should have been passed over at this tournament, it's Southgate's legacy glaring error.

If we was subbing Toney in to lump it forward, the least he could've done is bring someone like Trent to cross it in. England made the final in spite of Southgate.

2 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Maybe, but I wouldn't have minded Trent delivering those balls in Walker did this tournament. Not sure Walker ever beat first man.

Even that Denmark goal he did his best to balls up

Trent is Emperor's clothes, all day long.  

Said from the beginning, TAA should be playing over Walker. Walker only picked for speed, but when defending deep as a conscious set up, it’s pointless. You don’t want Walker with loads of the ball. 

Still maintain too, TAA is no worse defensively. Just Walker recovery pace is all people remember. 

Not playing your best RB on the ball, and no left winger, contributed to some **** football and lack of meaningful control.

5 minutes ago, arenaross said:

What does any of this mean? :D  Kane vs. Slovakia is only 0.22 xG? Doesn’t this imply he only has a 1 in 5 chance of scoring the goal? Even though he headed it in literally from a yard out?

5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Whether Kane was injured or not (and I think he must be injured as I've never seen him so immobile), Southgate's failing was still playing him in every single game despite him offering almost nothing.

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Robson 07 said:

Either way, should have been passed over at this tournament, it's Southgate's legacy glaring error.

I don't think so. And most people I'm reading (and listening to) talk about the glaring errors being coaching rather than who is being picked, or not picked. 

You said it yourself, he'll do well for Bayern in a team that dominates. We've never set ourselves out to play that way. 

The glaring error for me is quite obviously tactical, doesn't suit the players we've got, but then we've done brilliantly in spite of that. 

I'm not going to go too deep down the rabbit hole of tactics though, ultimately I don't really care about that or who the manager is.

Proud of them for getting to the final. After that, I'm not going to be harsh as we didn't get beaten 3-0, and it could have gone differently. 

Never mind, on to the next one.

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

I don't think so. And most people I'm reading (and listening to) talk about the glaring errors being coaching rather than who is being picked, or not picked. 

You said it yourself, he'll do well for Bayern in a team that dominates. We've never set ourselves out to play that way. 

The glaring error for me is quite obviously tactical, doesn't suit the players we've got, but then we've done brilliantly in spite of that. 

I'm not going to go too deep down the rabbit hole of tactics though, ultimately I don't really care about that or who the manager is.

Proud of them for getting to the final. After that, I'm not going to be harsh as we didn't get beaten 3-0.

Agree mostly.  I think winning and losing in competitive sport is often in the margins,

Centre forward is pivotal, no one can deny that.  England played with an ineffective striker all tournament.  They just did,  Go figure how important that is. 

7 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

What does any of this mean? :D  Kane vs. Slovakia is only 0.22 xG? Doesn’t this imply he only has a 1 in 5 chance of scoring the goal? Even though he headed it in literally from a yard out?

He didn't head it in did he? Left foot finish wasn't it? But yeah take your point it should be higher than 0.22 that one.

Lack of clear cut chances has been a problem since game one though - always going to end up costing us.