Game 1: Germany vs Scotland from the Fußball Arena München, LIVE on ITV1 kick off 8pm

What will be the result?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the result?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/06/24 at 18:59

ger_v_sco.jpeg?imwidth=2048

Predicted line-ups

Germany: Neuer; Kimmich, Rüdiger, Tah, Mittelstädt; Andrich, Kroos; Musiala, Gündoğan, Wirtz; Havertz

Scotland: Gunn; Ralston, Porteous, Hendry, Tierney, Robertson; McTominay, Gilmour, McGregor, McGinn; Adams

The last time these two nations met, was a 5 goal thriller at Hampden

Germany, massive favourites, but strangely not really rated for victory in the tournament. Scotland, massive underdogs, can they finally, finally, get out of the group stages at a major tournament?

Analysis from Graeme Souness, Roy Keane, Ian Wright and Laura Woods, reports by Connie McLaughlin, and commentary from

Screenshot-2022-01-26-at-15.05.19-e16432 AND 02233230-55a9e06b-53b6-468f-83f8-7afc464

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

Oh - and without question this remains the best tournament song ever. Can't believe it's over a quarter of a century old FFS:

26 years and this song still cracks me up. How can they be this despondent and this melancholy before Scotland have even kicked a ball?

I mean the lyrics: “Even long shots make it… you might not believe it… you might prove them wrong” :D 

It’s like they listened to the Ally McLeod ‘78 song and went to Del Amitri with the exact opposite brief. “We don’t want to sound over confident and look stupid again… just assume we are going to be ****”

4 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

More importantly, will Tartan Army break Munich's record for the amount of beer consumed in a single day?

Apparently quite a few pubs in central Munich have already run dry! As have some of the airport bars in Scotland. 

2 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

26 years and this song still cracks me up. How can they be this despondent and this melancholy before Scotland have even kicked a ball?

I mean the lyrics: “Even long shots make it… you might not believe it… you might prove them wrong” :D 

It’s like they listened to the Ally McLeod ‘78 song and went to Del Amitri with the exact opposite brief. “We don’t want to sound over confident and look stupid again… just assume we are going to be ****”

It's the most grounded tournament song ever :D

Was never going to be a stadium anthem, but I like it :(

22 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

Oh - and without question this remains the best tournament song ever. Can't believe it's over a quarter of a century old FFS:

Oh my god, completley forgot about this :D

Opening matches always great fun to watch, chance of a surprise result given the Bundeslads are a bit rubbish these days but I think home advantage sees them home against the plucky Jocks.

GER 2-1 SCO

With serious hat on, more often than not Germany win this fairly comfortably.  We had a brilliant qualifying campaign until we pretty much secured qualification, then we've been pretty poor ever since.  And in the build-up it's started to seem like the squad would be filled from ballot rather than the general public with how injuries have gone.  By all rights, we should have no chance.  But I think there's a distinct possibility of at least a draw, and this being one of those famous opening games that doesn't go to plan.  A negative result doesn't completely sink our tournament, but even in the era of 3rd place sides qualifying, a bad result here puts us up against it, ala 20201

Less serious hat on, we're going to pump them rotten.  Bratwurst tomorrow, then we're coming for the Toblerones and the goulash.  Intae thum etc.

17 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Genuinely not wanted a result (not involving my team) more then Scotland winning this in a very long time. Would absolutely LOVE it if they win this. 

Looking at that German team id say Scotland have a chance. Not sure if they've much of a goal threat there. I still fancy them to win though. Maybe 1-0.

4 minutes ago, mrw072 said:

Looking at that German team id say Scotland have a chance. Not sure if they've much of a goal threat there. I still fancy them to win though. Maybe 1-0.

Germany has been way too shaky at the back for many years and they can't figure out the best combination.

If Kroos didn't come back and they weren't hosts, they could've had another awful tournament.

Come on lads.

Have a look at yourselves if you're in here anticipating the first game and you haven't yet put your name down for the charity sweepstake:

Chuck in a fiver to help make the world a better place, and if your team wins you get to choose the charity that benefits.

1 hour ago, RTHerringbone said:

Never noticed the “even long shots make it” harmony in the background :D

been quite a few opening games in World Cups that haven't gone to form in the last 20-30 years.  Examples I can think of from the top of my head are France 0-1 Senegal from 2002 and the infamous Argentina V Cameroon match in 1990 when I'd be shocked if anyone gave Cameroon a chance but they shocked the world with a 1-0 victory and gave us some very interesting "tackles" to watch even 30+ years later, Claudo Caniggia trying to get away from a man, gettitng chopped, Caniggia stumbles then another player comes over and finishes the job :lol:

the only game I can think of Euros wise for opening games of being a shock in recent times is Portugal losing 2-1 to Greece in Euro 2004 (and then losing to the same team in the final) so it doesn't seem to happen that much in the European Championships.  Most of the money will be on Germany but as I've said on this forum, it seems to be a "well Germany were good in the past" rather than looking at present Germany.  The Germans are not in the best of form for major tournaments, failed at both group stages in Russia and Qatar, knocked out by eventual finalists England in Euro 2020.  I look at their squad and I don't see players to make a difference, they'll be hoping Musiala and Havertz can shine at the tournament but defensively and striker wise I don't see it.  Also think Neuer could be a bad idea to play as the No1 for me, I'd be playing Ter Stegen.  Problem for Scotland is I don't think there is enough ambition to have a go, we aren't expected to do much in Germany so going with two upfront would be ballsy so it's not going to happen.  Would expect Germany to win tomorrow but I don't think it will be as clear cut as media seem to think.  Was watching a video earlier where a certain pundit has Germany to get to the final because of "atmosphere" - not too many tournaments that a crowd can win for a nation

Edited by TM

1 hour ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Germany has been way too shaky at the back for many years and they can't figure out the best combination.

If Kroos didn't come back and they weren't hosts, they could've had another awful tournament.

Luckily for them we can't score to save ourselves. Dykes isn't even going and he's our only decent (proven) striker for the NT.

Sadly I'm working tomorrow night so will miss the game. Absolutely gutted.

13 hours ago, Sned said:

Allowed myself get carried away in the build-up, but now it's almost here I'm feeling a lot more realistic.

Scotland 4 Germany 0

McTominay hat trick :brock:

13 hours ago, dafuge said:

Is there a terrible opening ceremony and is it televised this time?

Presumably so, the ITV coverage starts at 6:30 even though the kickoff isn’t until 8:00

35 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Presumably so, the ITV coverage starts at 6:30 even though the kickoff isn’t until 8:00

The first programme is always long, half of it will probably be news from the England camp

2 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

The first programme is always long, half of it will probably be news from the England camp

Before a Scotland game? I doubt it'll be more than 5 minutes. It'll all be interviews with Scottish players, fans, how amazing the Scots are at drinking themselves blind etc 

Edited by JJ72

49 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

Ugh.  Plus Pougatch and Matterface of course.

Not sure I can stomach Matterface commentating on an opening ceremony with his misplaced wit and sarcasm.  Nobody did the opening ceremony better than Barry Davies, with his old school headmaster vibe.  Even though he clearly thought it was ridiculous, he never let it show.  A consummate pro.

On the subject of Barry Davies, I can't believe nobody has posted this footage of the last time Scotland were in an tournament opening game:

OK it was a World Cup and not a Euros, but you get to see Tom Boyd turning in an OG with his own face.

2 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

On the subject of Barry Davies, I can't believe nobody has posted this footage of the last time Scotland were in an tournament opening game:

OK it was a World Cup and not a Euros, but you get to see Tom Boyd turning in an OG with his own face.

we didn't play badly in that game either, Brazil were the better team obviously but we gave it as good as we got when most thought we'd get smashed easily

think it kicked off at 4pm, spent most of the day in school willing time to go quicker :D

I sprinted home from school and made the kick off for the Brazil game with seconds to spare. Some buzz tbf :D 

Could only remember the three goals - amusing watching back how we got the penalty, don't even think I appealed for it back then :D 

I actually thought it was going to be a parody about the seeming abundance of Scottish Rangers supporters following England instead, that has appeared in this generation - but that's a topic that we don't need to get into here :D 

10 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

A friend in Munich is telling me that Scots have filled the fan zone and authorities are asking people to stop going to the city center, with obvious traffic collapse. :D

I mean given the weather right now it wouldn’t surprise me if half of Scotland was over there. 

Lifelong Scotland supporter here - seen us fail to get out of the Group Stages so many times. I'm long conditioned to expect us to get mullered, which makes those rare moments when I'm proved wrong to be extra special!  :onmehead:

5 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

God what I wouldn't give for Barry Davies to commentate forever and Matterface to disappear into obscurity