Game 3: Spain vs Croatia from the Olympiastadion Berlin LIVE on ITV1 5pm

What will be the result  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the result

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/06/24 at 15:59

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just zero need to bring in anyone extra as a 'referee analyst' during coverage.

Pointless whenever any channel decides to do it.

1 minute ago, Darren Moores Mum said:

The double punishment is still there is there's no attempt to play the ball

Can't remember who said it but apparently they changed the double jeopardy interpretation, which in essence made a red card even more unlikely. Something like you have to deliberately drag them back, because there is no way Rodri was playing the ball there.

1 minute ago, Sned said:

Just zero need to bring in anyone extra as a 'referee analyst' during coverage.

Pointless whenever any channel decides to do it.

It's for the people that never watch football during the season, but it still adds nothing

1 minute ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

Not sure I like that rule. He was barely in the box, and it's hard for players to adjust to it after decades of it not mattering.

Not running ahead of a fixed line is much, much easier than staying onside...

Just now, The_jagster said:

Can't remember who said it but apparently they changed the double jeopardy interpretation, which in essence made a red card even more unlikely. Something like you have to deliberately drag them back, because there is no way Rodri was playing the ball there.

Yeah I'm sure you are right - think they changed the wording slightly so that it doesn't have to be 'a challenge for the ball' anymore.

1 minute ago, Sned said:

Yeah I'm sure you are right - think they changed the wording slightly so that it doesn't have to be 'a challenge for the ball' anymore.

Actually annoyed on reflection that Christina hasn't popped up to clarify this.

Just now, enigmatic said:

Not running ahead of a fixed line is much, much easier than staying onside...

Yeah, but until now they didn't employ VAR to ensure that. I actually think it was working fine before, where it had to be pretty blatant, especially given that the ref has a clear view in penalty situations.

1 minute ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

Yeah, but until now they didn't employ VAR to ensure that. I actually think it was working fine before, where it had to be pretty blatant, especially given that the ref has a clear view in penalty situations.

They did use VAR for that when it was introduced

2 minutes ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

Of all the rules in football that could do with changing, allowing encroachment on penalties isn’t one of them ffs. :D 

2 minutes ago, titchuk said:

Am I missing something? Everyone saying dive but he clips his thigh and knocks him off his stride? Should've been a red.

I see the clip, and if he was further from goal I'd understand him going down. But that close to goal, he could easily have stumbled slightly and kept enough manage to slot it in anyway. He just seemed determined to go to ground, properly kicked his other leg back too.

3 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

How bad was Rodri's injury? I missed that

Without wanting to wish a bad injury on someone, let's hope he misses all of next season so other teams have a decent chance.

7 minutes ago, titchuk said:

Am I missing something? Everyone saying dive but he clips his thigh and knocks him off his stride? Should've been a red.

You're missing the bit where he kicks his own foot into the ground to simulate contact and then the subsequent throwing himself to the floor.

It should be a red, for the Croatian. He was trying to get the Spanish dude sent off.

14 minutes ago, Sned said:

6 minutes ago, Ackter said:

Interviews should now be queued up to ask that Croatian guy live why he chose to dive there.

Because he's a low IQ peasant who's had all the talent necessary, but never cared and Croatian league is his peak.

6 minutes ago, Ackter said:

You're missing the bit where he kicks his own foot into the ground to simulate contact and then the subsequent throwing himself to the floor.

It should be a red, for the Croatian. He was trying to get the Spanish dude sent off.

I think he kicked his foot into the ground because his thigh was clipped, knocking him off his stride.

Just catching up on the Spain vs Croatia game, and that rule on the penalty is so awful. It makes no sense at all that it was a yellow and not a red. 

It makes it a no brainer for the defensive player, if you can foul to prevent a literally unmissable goal and turn it into a penalty where there’s a fair chance it doesn’t get scored and all you take for it is a yellow, to make the foul. It’s just such a woefully thought out rule that makes no sense. That has to be a red every single time. It’s no wonder I can’t be ****ed with football these days.

Rodri's tackle feels like one that should result in a red card, and it certainly has in past seasons. Yet the IFAB, football's lawmakers, have a dislike for a red card where a player has made a normal football action in relation to an opponent. So much so that last year the law for denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity (DOGSO) was relaxed further.

It now says that where a defending player denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by committing an offence which was an attempt to play the ball or a challenge for the ball" inside the penalty area then it should be treated as unsporting behaviour and the player only booked.