Game 7: Serbia vs England from the Arena AufSchalke LIVE on BBC1 8pm

What will be the result?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the result

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/06/24 at 18:59

image.png.02a73e240b8b697541e666bc17335120.png vs image.png.e8cb1fb6404b32c21a8d91dc1107968c.png

Possible line-ups

Serbia: Vanja Milinković-Savić; Milenković, Veljković, Pavlović; Živković, Sergej Milinković-Savić, Lukić, Kostić; Tadić; Mitrović, Vlahović

England: Pickford; Walker, Stones, Guehi, Trippier; Alexander-Arnold, Rice; Saka, Bellingham, Foden; Kane

This is the first time England have played Serbia in their current constitutional arrangement.

England at a major tournament, here we go again. We should win this but the warmup games weren't great. Need the big boys to turn up. This is Serbia's debut at the European Championships.

To get in the mood, have a montage

Gary Lineker presents, with commentary by

image.png.1edb9eb023335cfe64167ea30d35e1a5.png and image.png.2b3b5f399b068e33d44b6791d50775e9.png

Edited by Coulthard's Jaw

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm feeling surprisingly positive about this tournament. The Southgate apologists all seem a bit down in the dumps which leads me to think Gareth is finally going to unleash the lads and we're going to romp home. It's his last tournament, nothing to lose, handbrake off. 

3-0 England. 

Tesla disagreements incoming.
Amazing that picture of Vidić actually playing for Inter exists. :D

Cmon England, hoping for a new EURO record.

Serbian team is really uninspiring. If you don't win this one easily, forget about contending.

1 hour ago, RTHerringbone said:

Serbia aren't likely to start Mitrovic and Vlahovic are they?

If they start Mitrovic the England defence should know all about him.  

Anyway - I think 3-0 England today, got a feeling it may be a big win.  

22 minutes ago, thefmveteran86 said:

Shame we didn't have Grealish or Maguire in the 26 man squad but anyway here what we will start tonight right? do you think Mainoo will be able to step up tonight?

Screenshot.png.ac0666f0009cd04aeddcb276ad6b8826.png

If that's the team, I don't think it looks bad at all.  To be honest I don't know much about Mainoo, but i'm sure the other players will support him through things.  The only weakness that really stands out for me a bit is the left side of defence.  I'm presuming that Mainoo is a player that will allow Rice to get forward a bit?  Or vice versa?

Yeah, sounds like TAA will start. But hopefully Mainoo comes on and gets a decent amount of minutes. Probably more likely to happen if we are a couple of goals in front, or if we hook Kyle Walker and Trent drops to RB.

I still don’t think we play Trent in midfield against a top side… so if we fancy Mainoo there for the KOs then he needs to be getting a lot more game time along the way.

And I would have very mixed feelings about a 5-0 thrashing today, if TAA gets MOM and sets up 2-3 of the goals. Don’t want Southgate suddenly thinking he can play that role against France or Portugal or Germany based on a good group stage.

This is our toughest group game, isn’t it? I’d say the way Gareth lines up today is likely to be the team he thinks is going to play further into the competition.

3 minutes ago, Smallen said:

This is our toughest group game, isn’t it? I’d say the way Gareth lines up today is likely to be the team he thinks is going to play further into the competition.

Probably Denmark, but there's not a huge amount in it.

If Trent does start in midfield I think we can well and truly put the Southgate 'pragmatism' era behind us. 

It should also placate them who froth about "TAKE THE ****ING HANDBREAK OFF!". It's a starting XI with an entire midfield of forward progressive players. 

I don't worry about balance so much, but I do worry about the space between mid and defence and whether Trent has the discipline and positional sense to protect out of possession. 

Also puts a huge target on his back, and I never had him down as someone who does well under pressure.

Will be interesting to see how it goes. 

Excited! 

Edited by Bliss Seeker

1 minute ago, Bliss Seeker said:

whether Trent has the discipline and positional sense to protect out of possession. 

He’s much, much better at this than Mainoo is.

Mostly I just think you get better passing angles for Trent from full back. Walker/Trippier is just a terrible full back pairing with zero balance to it. I’d honestly rather play Walker left back and Trent right back.

14 minutes ago, Smallen said:

To be honest, I don't think it is.  In my opinion anyway.  I really think the Danes could be a bit of a threat.  Personally I hope Southgate isn't too cautious, and attacks Serbia, as I think England can run out comfortable winners.  

10 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

How I've missed this. :D

English fans can't stop talking about it finally coming home and having a stacked team, only to be in full panic mode on the matchday. :lol:

Have you see our performances and results this year. Something just doesn't feel right for me. Obviously could all click tonight but we aren't scoring and our defence is a mess. I've never been that confident for this tournament. I thought we had a better squad and chance in Qatar

I feel pretty confident tbf. We have a brilliant side, even our defence is better than the majority of other teams in the tournament. Southgate has set the squad up to be pretty attacking, so it's just if he sticks to that and then we get a bit of luck. I can't see any of the group games being that tricky.

1 hour ago, Rob1981 said:

Yeah, sounds like TAA will start. But hopefully Mainoo comes on and gets a decent amount of minutes. Probably more likely to happen if we are a couple of goals in front, or if we hook Kyle Walker and Trent drops to RB.

I still don’t think we play Trent in midfield against a top side… so if we fancy Mainoo there for the KOs then he needs to be getting a lot more game time along the way.

And I would have very mixed feelings about a 5-0 thrashing today, if TAA gets MOM and sets up 2-3 of the goals. Don’t want Southgate suddenly thinking he can play that role against France or Portugal or Germany based on a good group stage.

If it's not a dull 0-0 opener then you're not interested. Textbook. :D

+1 for the not getting great vibes from England. I think with each passing tournament my feelings on them reduce. But then I said this before the World Cup and they played pretty well and lost a 50-50 game against another top nation, so who knows.

They've got so much talent that they can mitigate some of this, plus their mentality is different under Southgate. They know how to navigate through these competitions.

17 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

+1 for the not getting great vibes from England. I think with each passing tournament my feelings on them reduce. But then I said this before the World Cup and they played pretty well and lost a 50-50 game against another top nation, so who knows.

They've got so much talent that they can mitigate some of this, plus their mentality is different under Southgate. They know how to navigate through these competitions.

I think you're right about Southgate being able to navigate England through tournaments, that's probably one of his biggest strengths.  I just wish he didn't downplay things a bit too much.  For example he was saying England have to be exceptional tonight.  Which may be true, but I think puts pressure on the team, maybe unnecessarily.  I'd like to see him build the teams chances up a little bit more as I think that could take the pressure off.  As it shows he's got confidence in his players.

1 hour ago, arenaross said:

If it's not a dull 0-0 opener then you're not interested. Textbook. :D

I don’t want a 0-0 :D  But I would like see more of Mainoo off the bench. I think that’s more likely if it’s 2-0 or something, and if we want to protect the lead. If we are 5-0 up and really comfortable… or if it’s 1-1 and we need to chase the game… Mainoo might not get on.

I do wonder just how much we'd lose from Bellingham if we stuck him alongside Rice. Foden at #10, Gordon left and Saka right. That way we don't have any square pegs in round holes and we get proper width on the left.

19 minutes ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

Disgusting. It's time to stop normalizing this. I think the only tournament we didn't have violent clashes was Qatar, but that can't be the solution.

No one is normalising it? German police report all the arrests so far have been Serbian fans, who as far as they have put together, started it. 

There were warnings days ago from the German authorities that the Serbs were targeting this game. Obviously the England fans aren't all angels, but what was expected has happened and it's being dealt with. No dramas just yet 

4 minutes ago, Wiggins Top Boys said:

There were warnings days ago from the German authorities that the Serbs were targeting this game. Obviously the England fans aren't all angels, but what was expected has happened and it's being dealt with. No dramas just yet 

Yep pretty much.