Game 7: Serbia vs England from the Arena AufSchalke LIVE on BBC1 8pm

What will be the result?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the result

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/06/24 at 18:59

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

Disgusting. It's time to stop normalizing this. I think the only tournament we didn't have violent clashes was Qatar, but that can't be the solution.

Tell me your team has never been in Europe without telling me your team has been in Europe.

English teams due to history have a target on their back, and don't get me wrong, some are more than happy to give it back, but you'll often find England are seldom the true aggressors.

3 hours ago, RTHerringbone said:

I do wonder just how much we'd lose from Bellingham if we stuck him alongside Rice. Foden at #10, Gordon left and Saka right. That way we don't have any square pegs in round holes and we get proper width on the left.

Feels a bit Lampard/Gerrard where both try to play in the same spaces and neither track back.

Though I'd probably prefer that against defensive opposition to three fullbacks with the most creative two both out of position..

8 minutes ago, sc91 said:

Tell me your team has never been in Europe without telling me your team has been in Europe.

English teams due to history have a target on their back, and don't get me wrong, some are more than happy to give it back, but you'll often find England are seldom the true aggressors.

Sorry if that came out wrong. I wasn't going after England fans. I reckon this clash was mostly between Serbians and Albanians, with some English caught in the middle.

Edit: German TV didn't mention Albanians and called it a clash between Serbian and English fans.

Edited by The Amazing Dale Watkins

2 minutes ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

Sorry if that came out wrong. I wasn't going after England fans. I reckon this clash was between Serbians and Albanians, with some English caught in the middle.

Its one of those things that opposition fans who want a scrap will want one of the English (or Scottish) teams because the chances of having someone else fancying a go, is just much higher. 

7 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Feels a bit Lampard/Gerrard where both try to play in the same spaces and neither track back.

Though I'd probably prefer that against defensive opposition to three fullbacks with the most creative two both out of position..

I just think we end up rendering our left side an irrelevance until Shaw is ready to return. Trippier will always have to cut inside as he showed in the friendlies that his left foot is just there to keep him symmetrical. Foden will drift infield a lot so we'll probably end up with real overcrowding issues in the middle.

At least Gordon would stretch the pitch a bit and theoretically help make a bit of space - as well as providing some natural wide service (though he didn't exactly play many accurate passes / crosses in the friendlies).

4 hours ago, RTHerringbone said:

wonder just how much we'd lose from Bellingham if we stuck him alongside Rice. Foden at #10, Gordon left and Saka right. That way we don't have any square pegs in round holes

I keep saying we shouldn't have Bellingham and Foden both playing centrally.  But I actually wouldn't mind it in some of the group games so much.  We should be able to sacrifice Bellingham to a deeper position and still win without necessariy having his creativity higher up the pitch.  But if it works in the group stage we might stick with it :D  Then we are probably sat here in three weeks when we have gone out, and people are asking why Bellingham wasn't played in his best position in and around the opposition box.

Against the better sides... moving Foden to LW just feels like less of a compromise than moving Bellingham to CDM.

55 minutes ago, sc91 said:

but you'll often find England are seldom the true aggressors

This is actually true last Euros in Germany a prime example, sadly once set upon, the English Mad Dogs then often take it too far in retribution, and then end up blamed for everything 

Ive been kicked to shyte in many European countries without ever throwing the first punch. The Dutch ran us absolutely ragged through Cologne in 88 and we got 100% of the blame. 

38 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

I just think we end up rendering our left side an irrelevance until Shaw is ready to return. Trippier will always have to cut inside as he showed in the friendlies that his left foot is just there to keep him symmetrical. Foden will drift infield a lot so we'll probably end up with real overcrowding issues in the middle.

At least Gordon would stretch the pitch a bit and theoretically help make a bit of space - as well as providing some natural wide service (though he didn't exactly play many accurate passes / crosses in the friendlies).

Agree. Foden is better quality, but on LW, under Southgate, he’s mostly asked to stay on the paint, and so his qualities are reduced straight away (taking ball on half turn/first time passes). Game then will go by, people moan he’s not impacting, he’ll come inside looking for ball more in areas he can make an impact, and we lose shape as the width goes. Rather have Gordon LW than Foden, not because Gordon is better, as he’s long way off, but because he’s more direct and better suited there if it’s getting ball on the line and running direct.

Would be alright if he could drift to areas on RW and centrally, with players moving around in different positions like we see him at Man City when he plays LW. Doesn’t stay on the line because the LB provides that width for Man City, which means Foden can get all in those half spaces where he’s devastating. So needs Trippier or whoever is LB to push high and be that width.

8 minutes ago, SouthCoastRed said:

This is actually true last Euros in Germany a prime example, sadly once set upon, the English Mad Dogs then often take it too far in retribution, and then end up blamed for everything 

Ive been kicked to shyte in many European countries without ever throwing the first punch. The Dutch ran us absolutely ragged through Cologne in 88 and we got 100% of the blame. 

The prime example is probably Marseille in 2016, where the English fans got ambushed by a Russian paramilitary and still got much of the blame. 

Edited by The Amazing Dale Watkins

If we play Kane, Saka, Foden and Bellingham as our front four then we have 4 players who want the ball to feet. It could cause problems having nobody to run behind.

2 minutes ago, TalkSport said:

Did Germany just start their public transport last week? Everything I’ve heard about the trains/trams the past week has been terrible. Thought UK was bad for it.

Deutsche Bahn is the best evidence that German Punktlichkeit is a myth

5 minutes ago, TalkSport said:

Agree. Foden is better quality, but on LW, under Southgate, he’s mostly asked to stay on the paint, and so his qualities are reduced straight away (taking ball on half turn/first time passes). Game then will go by, people moan he’s not impacting, he’ll come inside looking for ball more in areas he can make an impact, and we lose shape as the width goes. Rather have Gordon LW than Foden, not because Gordon is better, as he’s long way off, but because he’s more direct and better suited there

If it doesn’t happen for Foden in the first couple of games, then Foden getting benched and Gordon/Palmer coming in is a lot more likely than Foden getting moved inside and Bellingham dropping back.

But then the rage will be off the scale if we go out in the quarters and the PL player of the season isn’t even in the starting eleven.

4 minutes ago, TalkSport said:

Did Germany just start their public transport last week? Everything I’ve heard about the trains/trams the past week has been terrible. Thought UK was bad for it.

It's never easy during a massive event like this, but honestly, it's been a disaster for many years now. 

3 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

If it doesn’t happen for Foden in the first couple of games, then Foden getting benched and Gordon/Palmer coming in is a lot more likely than Foden getting moved inside and Bellingham dropping back.

But then the rage will be off the scale if we go out in the quarters and the PL player of the season isn’t even in the starting eleven.

Why I’d rather just see Foden play centrally with Bellingham asked to play a bit more disciplined. He’s capable, but we’ve seemingly gone down the route of he’s got the free role (which will leave gaps centrally) and we’ll find out this tournament if that’s the correct way.

Edited by TalkSport

18 minutes ago, TalkSport said:

The Deutsche Bahn is on a level with Public Transport in Bangladesh. Tbf, the trains in Bangladesh are much more on time than in Germany. This has been the case for around a decade now. And it won´t get any better in the future as long as the green party is in charge.

22 minutes ago, TalkSport said:

Why I’d rather just see Foden play centrally with Bellingham asked to play a bit more disciplined. He’s capable, but we’ve seemingly gone down the route of he’s got the free role (which will leave gaps centrally) and we’ll find out this tournament if that’s the correct way.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the obsession is with needing to Bellingham so close to Kane. He's just as effective in a more traditional midfield role, heck its the role he'll playing next season for Madrid you'd think with the influx of attacking players there.

Edited by Bootador

17 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Back in the real world, this will be the usual no-frills opener for England. 2-0 win.

Only been one clean sheet so far. Don't see that changing tonight. England to win 3-1.