Game 14: Germany vs Hungary live from the Stuttgart Arena. BBC1 5pm

What will be the result?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the result

• German win
    • Draw
    • Hungary win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/06/24 at 15:59

md2_gerhun.jpeg?imwidth=2048

Possible line-ups

Germany: Neuer; Kimmich, Rüdiger, Tah, Mittelstädt; Andrich, Kroos; Musiala, Gündoğan, Wirtz; Havertz

Hungary: Gulácsi; Lang, Orbán, Szalai; Bolla, Ádám Nagy, Schäfer, Kerkez; Sallai, Szoboszlai, Varga

image.png.950d77c01cc9bb309b9091954db84778.png

A win and its hard to see Germany not winning the group. Hungary will be targeting a point to set up a winner takes all clash against Scotland. Although Hungary gave the Germans a good game three years ago...

The Opta supercomputer is confident Germany will pick up another three points here, assigning them a 72.2% chance of winning. Hungary’s chances of pulling off an upset sit at 11.3%, while the draw occurred in 16.5% of simulations.

At the time of writing, Germany have a 70.4% chance of topping Group A and a 98.5% chance of qualifying for the last 16. After their opening-game defeat, Hungary have just a 35.3% chance of making the knockout stage, a lower chance than any other team in Group A.

Gary Lineker presents coverage with commentary by 

image.png.39c12f00a01d829c6ae800defe352d1b.png and image-jpg.8628

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Hungary of the 2nd half vs Switzerland turns up, this might be a good match, otherwise I think Germany should have enough here. Doubt it will be a stroll like their opener though

PERMUTATIONS: The result in the Croatia-Albania match means Germany are now GUARANTEED a place in the knockout stage if they win here.

There is still a scenario where Group A could finish with three teams on six points. And if there was a ridiculous goal difference swing, then Germany could get six points and still only finish third in the group.

But the draws between Slovenia-Denmark and now Croatia-Albania mean that nobody can get to six points and not at least be a best third place team. The third place teams in Groups B and C can’t get to six points whatever happens.

I expect a difficult match for Germany, and I'm curious to see which lessons Hungary learned from the Scotland game. Obviously, they shouldn't give Kroos as much time and space, but he was basically playing a modern interpretation of a Libero, dropping very deep in possession, and closing him down aggressively is also risky.

Hungary will give Germany a much tougher game than the Scots. 1-1 draw.

But I haven't got a single scoreline right so far, so what do I know? :lol:

1 minute ago, The_jagster said:

First time I've seen the opening titles, a Todd Terje style track to visuals with no obvious link to the hosts. Weak

It's "Welcome To The DCC" by Nothing But Thieves, from that well-known German coastal city of Southend-on-Sea. :p

1 minute ago, CFuller said:

Speaking of seeing double... why do Hungary need two crests on their shirts? :confused:

One is their FA logo, the other one is their country logo.

Orban in the stands, hoping Germany continues with their high scoring.

1 minute ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

Nice touch that Germany plays in pink against Hungary. I still remember the little homophobia scandal involving Hungarian fans at the last Euro.

Japp. A nice FU to the homophobes both in Hungary and in Germany (of course the AfD fans hate this shirt). Fun fact: it's the best selling shirt in ages :) 

2 minutes ago, DJ said:

Japp. A nice FU to the homophobes both in Hungary and in Germany (of course the AfD fans hate this shirt). Fun fact: it's the best selling shirt in ages :) 

The design is fine, but for me it's nonsense for NT to have a kit that has nothing to do with it's colors.

Dark green away kits were always amazing.

This one looks like a giant T-mobile advert.

Almost another cracking start.

Edited by GunmaN1905

2 minutes ago, DJ said:

Honestly, it is a damn good looking shirt.

Also this is the Germany I'm used to seeing. :lol:

The pressure from the fans for Germany is intense. That first win has them thinking that all opponents are going to be helpless like that. I've seen few people in the social media who warn against over optimism. 

Just now, DJ said:

The pressure from the fans for Germany is intense. That first win has them thinking that all opponents are going to be helpless like that. I've seen few people in the social media who warn against over optimism. 

The worst thing about big tournaments is that people who don't watch football otherwise suddenly become the most knowledgeable fans.
Idk how's it in Germany, but for example in Croatia they're beyond insufferable.

Ofc it's Musuala when I choose Wirtz over him.

Another shambolic goal. As it is not an own goal it is a contender for goal of the tournament.

Orban has been *****. Do they have any better. A big man like that should not be physically bullied like he has been

Edited by av3ry

I don't think that's enough of a foul - shoulder to shoulder and makes a meal of it. Wouldn't want a penalty given for it, so wouldn't want a free kick given the other way either.

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

The worst thing about big tournaments is that people who don't watch football otherwise suddenly become the most knowledgeable fans.
Idk how's it in Germany, but for example in Croatia they're beyond insufferable.

Horrible. Same in the Netherlands by the way. 

Just now, m_fenton said:

I don't think that's enough of a foul - shoulder to shoulder and makes a meal of it. Wouldn't want a penalty given for it, so wouldn't want a free kick given the other way either.

I don't disagree, but it feels like those kinds of incidents get given as fouls all the time. I don't think VAR should be interfering with it at all, but I do have a bit of sympathy as well with Hungary. A good chunk of refs blow up for that.